Old January 14, 2001, 06:26   #121
Sir Shiva

A little note on movement...

Units should be told to go somewhere, and you could assign waypoints. Then, when one unit is walking/driving/flying/sailing off, in gorgeous animation, you order another unit somewhere else, and in this way several units can move around simultaneously. This would look great on a large map and if the animations are anything like those on the Civ3 Site, the graphics alone could sell the game.

And for missiles, you would choose Launch, and then choose its target, whether its a city, unit, or blank tile. The Target cursor would be green withing the missiles range, and red outside. Once you launch, the missile will fly, continuously and smoothly, to its target, flying over other units and taking the shortest possible route (over the poles, perhaps?). If a SAM site tile improvement or mobile sam or SDI was in its path, it would shoot at the missile while it was still flying, almost RTS style...

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@shivamail.com
Web: http://www.shivamail.com

Old January 18, 2001, 12:30   #122
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 19:42
Local Date: October 30, 2010
For those of you who have the latest, highest powered computer model, do not forget the players with mid-ranged computer models.

Please remember that many other players have a mid-ranged power computer model, so some of your suggestions would require too much.
Old January 20, 2001, 22:49   #123
Mihai
CTP2 Source Code Project
Warlord

Local Time: 02:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't know how exactly was done but the map from CTP is just fine for me. I mean Doughnut map.
Movement points (MPs) is a great idea.This way a land unit with a movement of 1 (as in Civ2 or CTP) cannot anymore cross a mountain in only a turn (it will need instead 3 turns). Mounted unit could cross mountains too, with a penalty - Hannibal cross the Alps with elephants and horses. Mountains would be a real barrier and Mountain Units would be more interesting. Those MPs should reflect also the fatigue of troops: if a unit spend all his MPs in a turn, then the next turn it will have less MPs than the max possible. Take a look at Jagged Alliance, where they have Action Points.
BTW naval units in movement could lose sometime a few MPs because of stroms.
Multi-level maps really should be included. Just think at that : I discover a Bomber in midair and I surrounder him with subs.