Old January 19, 2001, 21:07   #1
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 19:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
First batch of "Ask the Civ Team" answers posted..
You can access them via the following URL:
http://www.firaxis.com/civ3/asktheteam_011901.cfm

Thanks to everyone who sent in a question... we were literally deluged with them, and we could only answer a few, but we'll try to answer more as we get the time.

Enjoy!

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.
Old January 19, 2001, 21:18   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:43
Thanks, Dan.
Old January 19, 2001, 21:37   #3
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yoohooo!!!

Now that really seems to me like we're going to have a great, great game!

I guess we are gonna have to open four new threads...
Old January 19, 2001, 21:50   #4
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 18:43
quote:

we're committed to the scenario/mod community, and we realize that the ability to create diverse, interesting scenarios is one of the major reasons for Civilization II's enduring popularity.

(...excuse me while I jump up and down excitedly...)
Since, IMHO, this is the single greatest reason to play Civ3 (and will eventually be the ONLY reason to keep playing Civ3); this is the single greatest statement that Firaxis had and could have stated.

Many, if not all, of the ideas and changes folks here have posted are best implemented in a scenario, thus keeping the main game generic and open-ended. Alot of you do not realize how important the scenarios have been to the continued viability of Civ2. The same will be true with Civ3. Over the next several months, if you don't see the features you wanted in Civ3, be patient, you will see them in a scenario somewhere.
Old January 19, 2001, 22:44   #5
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
Ooooooh.

So that's where we can ask questions from the programming team!

I think I'll pester them for a few weeks...
Old January 19, 2001, 22:52   #6
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 00:43
Yabadabidydooooooh!!you can create your own units pics yabadydabadydooohhh!! oh joy of watching your soldiers marching into battle and if there can be enough units you can create a scenario with individual units like you could could have big strong fred and fast nimble john and so on as many as you want as well as your huge howitzers with the extra rocket launchers for just £19.99 attached ooh nostalgia.
Old January 20, 2001, 09:59   #7
Yog-Sothoth
Prince

This is great!

*Jumping up and down while smiling stupidly*

Not that I wasn't expecting customization, but it's great to get it confirmed. I also loved the things about nationality and culture.
Old January 20, 2001, 10:21   #8
Snapcase on Snapcase

Cool! The most exciting news is (a) The possibility of a public beta test and (b) static units as an optionfor scenario makers. Both are imensely welcomed.

Old January 20, 2001, 10:44   #9
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Was anyone else disappointed to see that they completely sidestepped the question about diplomacy in multiplayer games?
Old January 20, 2001, 14:53   #10
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:43
Doesn't it bother anyone they didn't answer any questions about disturbing issues such as the nature and use of unique civs?

I know I sent them a question regarding this issue, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, yet they ignored it.

Don't you like questions that aren't easily turned into promotion material in the answers without divulgin any real information, Firaxis?

*disappointed*
Old January 20, 2001, 15:44   #11
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by Sirotnikov on 01-20-2001 01:53 PM
Doesn't it bother anyone they didn't answer any questions about disturbing issues such as the nature and use of unique civs?

I know I sent them a question regarding this issue, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, yet they ignored it.

Don't you like questions that aren't easily turned into promotion material in the answers without divulgin any real information, Firaxis?

*disappointed*

I'm sorry you feel that way, but we recieved literally *hundreds* of questions. Some of the things we were asked are things we are ready and able to talk about, other things we just aren't able to discuss right now.

I did my best to sort the letters and we tried to address the most prevalent questions. In this case most of the concerns we were seeing related back to the first game update being about combat. Many of the letters we got specifically asked about diplomacy and culture being more important parts of the game, so we addressed those issues. In short, we tried to address the issues that we felt the majority of you were concerned with.

It's also worth mentioning that a single person is responsible for going through these letters and trying to make sense of them and then trying to get some answers. That person is me =) To make my life easier, I'd recommend that you keep your email short, succinct, and specific. Pick one topic and stick to it, and put the topic your question is about in the subject line, it helps when I have to sort through them to know what the general subject area of the question is.

For the most part, the people who sent us letters kept their questions did this. Other folks sent in 5-page questionnaires (some emails I saw contained as many as 15 different questions). And I can't tell you how many e-mails had a subject of simply "civ3 question".

I'm not saying you need to do these things, but it sure does make my life easier, and I thank you in advance for any help in that respect =)

And as for the concerns about unique civilizations, I wouldn't worry about that too much. I'm sure we will have much more to say about that when the time is right.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

Old January 20, 2001, 16:03   #12
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Thanks for the post Dan and for doing such a good job of getting useful questions answered.

I mean come on guys, they are only going to answer four every week or so in such a fashion that it keeps us visiting and our attention focused.

Personally for me the Beta question was the only one that I was not thinking about (I am sure that Firaxis will do Beta when and in what way they want to and asking gives little information), but it was still good in that hopefully it will cut down on questions of that type.

I am interested in the unique civs question but I am sure with the level of worry it has generated here that Firaxis will be providing more information (although probably not all of it since they might not have everything down in stone and there is also that interest effect I described earlier) soon.

Jon Miller
Old January 20, 2001, 16:08   #13
Fiera
Emperor

Thanks a lot again, Dan!

I for one think you're doing a great job so far, your web page is excellent, and so is your effort to keep us updated about how the game is evolving. I didn't expect so much information and feedback.

The care Firaxis is taking in here, talking with the fans and answering our impatient questions as much as they're able to, is what makes me being sure that CIV3 is gonna be indeed a great game!
Old January 20, 2001, 16:13   #14
Jeje2
Prince

Dan Magaha:

First of all: Thank you for the information

We do know that you are doing your best to keep us all happy. It is so damm hard to please everybody.

Just keep on answering a few questions/week and most of us will be quite happy. (At least I will be )

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS on 01-20-2001 02:44 PM
To make my life easier, I'd recommend that you keep your email short, succinct, and specific. Pick one topic and stick to it, and put the topic your question is about in the subject line, it helps when I have to sort through them to know what the general subject area of the question is.

Now, this is a very good idea.
You could put them also on your civ3 site as recommendations for how to send questions.

MarkG: This could maybe be also added to the apolyton Civ3 section
[This message has been edited by Jeje2 (edited January 20, 2001).]
Old January 20, 2001, 16:42   #15
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisShaffer on 01-20-2001 09:44 AM
Was anyone else disappointed to see that they completely sidestepped the question about diplomacy in multiplayer games?

No. It appears that they don't themselves know entirely how it is going to work. They are still in the process of creating it.
Old January 21, 2001, 01:26   #16
Shadowstrike
Emperor

The possibility of static units is great news indeed! I believe that there will be a lot of Civ3 scenarios coming out after the initial playing mania wears off a little (after a couple weeks)
Old January 22, 2001, 12:26   #17
Grumbold
Emperor

FIRAXIS managed to answer a couple of questions that were being hotly debated here. That's a good start in my book. Customisable units with optional 2d graphics. I'll start preparing my Colossal Cow Catapult straight away! Woohoo
Old January 22, 2001, 20:40   #18
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS on 01-20-2001 02:44 PM

And as for the concerns about unique civilizations, I wouldn't worry about that too much. I'm sure we will have much more to say about that when the time is right.

Thank you for the prompt reply, it's nice to see you care and actually visit this place. I would be happy to know you visit other threads aswell and derive your ideas not only from The List v1.

I understand what you said, and respect it. My letter wasn't very short and wasn't formed as a question I'll give you that. .

Good luck in answering the mail.

Btw, this was once again a sneaky answer (see qoute). You could be a public relations guy for firaxis. Oops, wait... you already are

Old January 23, 2001, 01:16   #19
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 20:43
Thanks indeed, Dan.

As one of the more partisan voices on the unique Civs question, I am glad that Firaxis apparently is taking note of the questions being raised here. I will assume for the time being that they will come up with soome solution that addresses the concerns expressed.
Old January 24, 2001, 09:14   #20
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:43
I am very pleased both with the type of questions that Firaxis chose to answer and with the implications of the answers themselves.
I see that the game is progressing very nicely and love especially the fact that culture will be represented in the game.
Hurray for Firaxis ... and keep us posted.