View Poll Results: What type of game do you play?
I don't play CtP2 0 0%
I play only Single-Player (original game only) 1 5.26%
I play only Single-Player (modded and/or original) 11 57.89%
I play only Multi-Player (original game only) 0 0%
I play only Multi-Player (modded and/or original) 4 21.05%
I play both SP and MP (both original only) 0 0%
I play both SP and MP (both modded) 2 10.53%
I play SP modded & MP original only 1 5.26%
I play SP original only & MP modded 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 15, 2002, 13:41   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MP or SP?
It's time for a new poll again

What type of games do you play? SP or MP, modded or original?

Let's regard Succession games as something in between: if you normally only play SP and you participate in the Succession games, it counts as SP only; if you normally only play MP it counts as MP only; if you play both SP and MP obviously it doesn't matter...
Old March 15, 2002, 15:32   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Of course GoodMod in SP, if I play.

-Martin
Old March 15, 2002, 17:12   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 14:46
I'm so used to chatting and conducting diplomacy during MP that I honestly find SP a little boring. This isn't just confined to CTP2 because I find the current SP offerings for Civ3 to be blaise as well.
Old March 15, 2002, 18:41   #4
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 21:46
It seems that games have got more sophisticated over the years since the 80's, but in many ways AI is still very bad at giving a human player good opposition.Even cutting edge AI say for example in the 'Creatures' games does do some very dumb things that even a young player wouldn't, after a bit of experience on a particular game. The only way a computer game can give you a run for your money is by cheating - that in itself isn't a bad thing if it improves your enjoyment.This is in reference to Strat games in particular, that give you time to work out the system that the AI uses. This is where multiplayer comes into it's own.You can't beat playing against another human and it's much more satisfing when you do win.
Old March 16, 2002, 00:02   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I ONLY play CTP2 Multiplay - Mod of course, since the original version (unmodded) just does not work for multiplay... At least, I've never been able to finish an orginal CTP2 Multiplay game (and this is over my home LAN).
Old March 19, 2002, 16:11   #6
Oerdin
Deity

I think most of you will agree that SP may be the reason most players install a game but it is MP that keeps them come back again, and again, and again...
Old March 19, 2002, 16:23   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I think most of you will agree that SP may be the reason most players install a game but it is MP that keeps them come back again, and again, and again...
Actually, I've been playing CtP since part 1 first came out and, aside from testing the rush-buy bug, I've never played a single MP game in my life...
I think for most people it are MP and/or the mods that make them come back again and again...
Old March 20, 2002, 07:37   #8
MarkyMark
Settler

Local Time: 21:46
I`m playing mixed but soloplaying at time only in CIV3, CTP2 only in Multiplayer and when CIV3 will be released with Multiplayer Option and when Moo3 released.....then i have no time more for the good old CTP.
I like Soloplaying for trying Game tactics and using Modpacks. I like Multiplaying for changing experience with another player and to build up knowledge about myself against another. You will learn perfect playing when you get this experience. AIs plays unrealistic and playing monoton with advantances in hard levels.

I hope CTP3 will be coming anytime......
There is any information about CTP3????
Greetings Mark
Old March 21, 2002, 01:35   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark
I hope CTP3 will be coming anytime......
There is any information about CTP3????
Greetings Mark
There is info about CTP3 but sadly it is that there will be no CTP3. Curses upon Activision!
Old March 21, 2002, 09:28   #10
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 18:46
I only play SP modded. Mostly with my own modifications.
-Jean Rostand
Old March 21, 2002, 14:10   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
I only play SP modded. Mostly with my own modifications.
Don't you get bored fighting a computer AI that ALWAYS does the same thing in a given set of circumstances? I grant you CTP2 gives players a lot of lee-way in customizing the AI's reactions but it still doesn't intelligently react like a human player would. Nor does it take a look at who's in first place and try to make logical alliances to defeat him.
I find the game is much more fluid and unpredictable when you add in the human element that's why I almost exclusively play MP.
Old March 21, 2002, 16:08   #12
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
I find the game is much more fluid and unpredictable when you add in the human element that's why I almost exclusively play MP.
Here, here! I completely agree with Oerdin on this one.
Old March 21, 2002, 18:17   #13
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 17:46
Quote:

Don't you get bored fighting a computer AI that ALWAYS does the same thing in a given set of circumstances? I grant you CTP2 gives players a lot of lee-way in customizing the AI's reactions but it still doesn't intelligently react like a human player would. Nor does it take a look at who's in first place and try to make logical alliances to defeat him.
Well, I haven't played enough to get bored yet, and once I do, I'll probably burn out and switch to a new time sink of choice. Given that the Cradle AI and the MedMod AI may do different things (and those things evolve thanks to the modders), this could take a while.

Now of course you're right that the game would be more fluid and unpredictable with humans involved, and diplomacy is one of the things I enjoy about games like Lords of the Earth...but the Civ family of games are hideous time sinks, and the thought of having to coordinate MY time sink with someone else's time sink is almost inconceivable.

And then there's the matter of playing style: I play about as fast as an ungreased glacier. Either the quick players would go mad waiting for me, or I would go mad trying to keep up. (Oh. Too late. I'm already mad...)
Old March 21, 2002, 21:04   #14
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
but the Civ family of games are hideous time sinks, and the thought of having to coordinate MY time sink with someone else's time sink is almost inconceivable.
Your right that the game does take a while to play but player can do everything but actually move their units on other people's turns... even pre-order all of their units and build ques. That said it is often a pain in the neck trying to coordinate four different players who each live on different contents and who have their own lives outside of the game. In fact I can remember getting up at 2am a few times so that we could balance playing between the three remaining players; one was in Germany, another was in Australia, and I was in California. Talk about a headache