Old March 15, 2002, 22:12   #1
vee4473
King

Local Time: 16:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diplomacy Improvement
Hey,

Here is something that happened in my current game that I found a bit annoying.

The map layout is this...It's me the Americans, with Greece to the direct north Egypt to the East and China south.

China was completely inaccessible from land unless other countries traveled through my borders.

Here's the story...

Once upon a time, no, just kidding. heh

Really here it is...

I was just sitting around minding my own beeswax when Egypt AND Greece start moving major numbers of military units and armies through my borders.

I thought they were about to gang up on me, so I contacted them to ask them to leave. I got the typical "remove your troops or declare" option. (Which I don't like because of it's tone)

So, they both withdraw their troops. Then, on the next turn, they move right in...So I ask again to withdraw and they do.

This scenario repeats a third time, except that I don't ask them to withdraw this time...I decide to see what they will do.

Turn after turn after turn, they march towards China to my south and begin attacking China. They leave me alone.

Low and behold, all this time they were simply trying to attack China by land and that meant having to go through my borders.

I suggest that future versions expand the diplomacy to include more subtle options such as having the AI tell you that they would like to pass thru to attack another civ instead of just withdrawing when I try to contact them to figure out what they are doing.

More detailed diplomacy would be very beneficial to the game I think.

....that's it

Old March 16, 2002, 00:01   #2
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 13:47
What you had was actually an opportunity to make some $. The AI would have paid you for ROP (right of passage). You need to have an embassy (so you need to have writing or whatever the requirements are). They will pay you a lump sum and you can go back for more $ every 20 years.

2 Warnings:

I have been attacked by a civ that I had ROP with. It is really bad because the AI moves its entire attack force (legally) up to your cities then declares war. *I start doing this too but not until I have tanks, lots of tanks*

You are letting your rival civs get stronger. Even if you are a builder, you need to take some cities from China too. You can run your civ better than the AI so you can win a tie, but if the AI is bigger than you it going to be a challenge.
Old March 16, 2002, 00:18   #3
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 13:47
I once watched the English go traipsing through my territory with dozens of swordsmen. Since I was slumming in a Chietain game I decided to watch to see just what the heck they were doing.

They went on and on for twenty or thirty turns. Didn't ask for a ROP. I thought they might be out to attack the Indians that were on the other side of me. Turned out they were after one barbarian encampment. Somewhere between one and two dozen swordsmen tied up for all those turns to take out one 25 GP encampment.

Wiped it out and then they went traipsing back one tile per turn for twenty or so tiles.

I guess they simply didn't have anything better to do. They couldn't attack me as I was watching them with cavalry.

Wasn't worth extorting the English. I was allready getting all their spare cash for obsolete tech.