View Poll Results: Who should be interviewed for FoA #10? (read the post first)
DarkCloud 16 21.92%
Korn469 15 20.55%
Solver 15 20.55%
Faded Glory (aka Saddam) 15 20.55%
Locutus 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 18, 2002, 16:43   #61
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by J Bytheway
How do you find out the postid?
I usually hover over either edit or reply with quoteand reads in the statusbar.
Old March 18, 2002, 16:46   #62
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

I usually hover over either edit or reply with quoteand reads in the statusbar.
Now, *that's* a good idea. Thanks for the tip...
Old March 18, 2002, 16:47   #63
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
having an easy way of linking to posts would be a nice feature though
I remember that I tried to get Markos edit the default quote to link to the original post... He never did it.
Old March 18, 2002, 16:53   #64
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Now, *that's* a good idea. Thanks for the tip...
Well, sometimes I actually fightclicks and selects copy link address. And then changes edits the other part of the URL/pastes in Notepad and copy the postid separeately.

You beat me on the other first idea.
Old March 18, 2002, 17:03   #65
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

I remember that I tried to get Markos edit the default quote to link to the original post... He never did it.
Hmm, that's a nice feature, but unfortunately it's rather hard to spot, since the quote and link colours are the same... you almost have to know it's there to find it...
Old March 18, 2002, 18:21   #66
Nimrod
Call to Power MultiplayerCall to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 21:48
I voted for the guy that will win
Old March 18, 2002, 19:08   #67
berXpert
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerC4WDG Delian League
King

Local Time: 16:48
Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Im losing...(

Time to call up the big gunz...get my PBEM buddies voting!
I'm for faded glory... just to piss of to Gavrushka
Old March 18, 2002, 19:17   #68
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

I guess I win !

But you will have to wait till friday or monday for a picture. Its against the rules to use it for things like these. So I have work late next monday or friday anyway
Old March 18, 2002, 22:22   #69
November Adam
Prince

Local Time: 14:48
I voted FG.. cause he's an opinionated pain in the @$$.

That's cool with me!
Old March 18, 2002, 22:30   #70
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
It needs to be linked from OTF, as I must have more votes, and OTF will bring that.
You could always write a news article about it and top it

-
And- while I voted for myself, I have not advertised myself
I would love to win, but I won't harry other people outside this thread And no, that smilie does not mean that I am lying Nor that one, I merely prefer to end on a happy note
Old March 18, 2002, 22:42   #71
korn469
Emperor

Quote:
posted by Immortal Wombat
If this is linked to from the OT, it'll get a lot more votes for the more prolific OT posters in the list.
People will vote for DC to ask about lists, people will vote for Solver just so they can take the piss. Korn and Locutus will lose out.
Might as well link to it from all the forums.
i'm not exactly sure where to put this but i'll try it here

instead of posting it on all of the forums i think we get candidates from each section of apolyton and try to have it balanced in the fact that one time a person comes from the OT while another time someone comes from the CtP section etc

the way i see this, is that apolyton is a fairly large community and even the most active posters among us don't know everyone, and so the FoA works as a showcase to not only give people a little bit of reward for making a contribution to apolyton, but it helps to break through some of cliques...i do not think that people purposely try to avoid some areas of apolyton for the most part, but instead they spend the majority of their time in just a few sections which correspond to their interests

so in the future, i think that each section should do their own votes, and when i say each section i mean pretty much every section in apolyton

Civ3
Civ2
CtP2/CtP (do the same people post in both or should we divide this like Civ3 and Civ2)
SMAC
Alt Civs
OT
Admins/Mods/Staff (while they may not post alot i bet everyone would love to see MarkG, DanQ, and all of the mods eventually appear in the FoA, and we could do the voting here in the apolyton forum)

i think if we do it like that, we would get a wider selection of different candidates and then each candidates could be judged by their peers...a system like this could have prevented the entire AH mess, because while the people who vote for someone in one section might value long in depth strategy discussions as a trait worthy of garnering an appearence in the FoA, people in another might value a person's wit as their contribution to apolyton, and i do see both things as contributions, also there are alot of people who have contributed to Apolyton that would never get a FoA interview if this devolves into a simple popularity contest, and that would be a shame, and it could also skew the FoA to only interview people from more active sections...just because fewer people visit the Alt Civs section doesn't mean that they are any less worthy than the OT, and i am afraid even if a candidate from each section appeared in the poll that this could happen

anyways those are just my thoughts on the entire thing
Old March 18, 2002, 23:04   #72
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

korn- that seems good, but It only leaves two options.

1- We do it on a rotating system.
1 week- the CTP guys are interviewed
the next, Administration, the next OT, etc.

If we do this, it will take a while to become fair, for I belive there are more OT people to interview than worthy alt.civvers whom everyone on the board would find interesting merely due to the lower number of alt.civvers.

2- Each sectors highest nominated person goes to the runoff in Apoly/Community
(This can lead to abuse if one section becomes more dominant: namely Civ III or OT.)

However, how does your system account for cross-posters... For example: I could enter in either the
OT
Civ III Ideas/Suggestions
Civ II
or
AC-Fiction
or
Apolyton/Community section [I think I am one of the top posters in this section ]

Which section would you put me in?
The section where I have posted most in or the section where I currently post the most in?
Old March 18, 2002, 23:19   #73
korn469
Emperor

DarkCloud

i don't think that it has to be completely equally divided between each section because like you said there are more people making contributions in the OT than there are in the alt civs section, but i do think that each section should get represented, and i think setting up some sort of proceedure for this before we really need it would be better than waiting till it gets to the point where things break down

Quote:
Which section would you put me in?
The section where I have posted most in or the section where I currently post the most in?
the section that you get the most nominations in

since you can only have one FoA interview (i assume) it doesn't matter which section votes you in now does it?

but if a person gets a number of nominations in each forum let them choose which forum they want to be voted on in, how does that sound?
Old March 19, 2002, 02:18   #74
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Hmm, that's a nice feature, but unfortunately it's rather hard to spot, since the quote and link colours are the same... you almost have to know it's there to find it...
Not with Civ3 style, which I used at that time...
Old March 19, 2002, 03:09   #75
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Not that... everyone is free to atract people (voters) from other forums. Saddam did it first .
Old March 19, 2002, 03:23   #76
Locutus
Deity

DC,
I retract my statement that you ought to be disqualified by voting for yourself, even though it was only a joke If anyone ought to be disqualified here it should be faded glory and Solver. Due to their advertising the outcome of this poll has become rather meaningless. Before the advertising the two of them together had 10 votes and now they have 25, while the rest of us have hardly gotten any new votes. I don't care who eventually gets the interview (as I said before, I'm sure all of us will get interviewed at some point), but there's not a chance in hell that the current result accurately reflects the opinion of all of Apolyton. So I hope Solver will be wise enough to not solely look at the outcome of this poll when he selects the next person to interview.

Korn,
Ming posted a similar proposal in a different thread just a few days ago. My response then was that I couldn't agree more with him, and I say the same thing to you now. If you want to use a democratic system and let the posters decide who should be interviewed (which I think is basically a good idea), a system such as the one you describe is by far the best way of doing this.

To prevent situations such as the ones DC describes (although I disagree about OT making more contributions to Apolyton than Alt Civs - but that's a different story altogether), someone (Solver, I suppose) should keep track of all the individual polls and eventually choose the candidates to interview. This would prevent situations where relatively unimportant people from smaller sections are favoured over relatively important people from larger sections, and it would also ensure that cross-forum people, who get a few votes in every forum, get the credit they deserve.

Gramphos,
D'oh! Who uses such an ugly style anyway?

Edit: spelling

Last edited by Locutus; March 19, 2002 at 03:32.
Old March 19, 2002, 03:26   #77
Locutus
Deity

As korn pointed out, if we all were to campaign in other parts of the forum, this poll would be nothing but a mere popularity contest. And that is definitely *not* a good way to select candidates for the FoA interiew, AFAIK that was never the intent of whole feature...
Old March 19, 2002, 04:01   #78
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Nonsense. Saddam did it first because I said anyone might link. Reason is, I need more votes. If I get 30-40 votes alltogether, it does not suit me AT ALL. I want more votes, and that's why I was actually happy to see Saddam link.

I strongly endorse you to link the thread, then there would be more votes. A poll like this can never be too fair...

Locutus, you're right, you will all be interviewed. All the people on this poll offered will be interviewed. The poll is merely unimportant, as it just decides who will be #10.

Thus, please forgive Saddam for starting to link, and link yourself. More votes!

And admittedly, I expect DC to win.
Old March 19, 2002, 04:12   #79
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:48
Hey! @#!

Where's the NYE option. Every poll needs it's banana does it not?

Don't worry korn. I voted for you. If only we could figure out how to lure the Finn vote, you'd have you plus me plus 99. You win. But you would not understand a single word of the questions put to you. Unless of course you have a Jibberish-English dictionary handy. Good luck.

Salve
Old March 19, 2002, 04:19   #80
Solver
lifer
Deity

Let me admit that Korn was my original intention for the interview number 10. Go Korn!

I guessed someone will notice that the poll has no bananas .
Old March 19, 2002, 07:29   #81
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
I guessed someone will notice that the poll has no bananas .
There isn't? What's the fourth choice for then?
Old March 19, 2002, 11:31   #82
PN
Prince

Solver
Should be an interesting interview. Especially if he's as responsive as he was when I was chasing him in some games I moderate.
Old March 19, 2002, 11:37   #83
Solver
lifer
Deity

Seriously speaking, if (when, in fact) I am interviewed, I'll let the others ask me questions, and somebody else will be making the whole interview. I hope it won't be worse than the others... I LOVE to talk.
Old March 19, 2002, 12:41   #84
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

I want to exploce Darkclouds obsessive behavior with the lists. If it souds fun, maybe i will convert.
Old March 19, 2002, 13:57   #85
korn469
Emperor

insomnia strikes again
i tried to post this last night, but my internet died

Quote:
if we all were to campaign in other parts of the forum, this poll would be nothing but a mere popularity contest. And that is definitely *not* a good way to select candidates for the FoA interiew, AFAIK that was never the intent of whole feature
exactly, FoA should let everyone on apolyton learn a little something new about people they have heard of but haven't actually met

i know vel and yin and i had played a pbem game with tau ceti, and although i knew of wesw, xin yu, and lancer i wouldn't consider that i knew them, so finding about about them was really a treat, i have seen stefu's name many times on apolyton but i don't know much about him at all, and i have been here for almost three years and have participated in a number of sections

i think everyone knows ming though

so for people who haven't been here long, they certianly don't remember way back when, and they don't really know much about all of the interesting people and things that have happened on apolyton, considering i couldn't even tell you half of the things either

but it is really cool to find out, and what i would really hate to see if instead of being something neat, if there was a big nasty fight over this, personally i don't care if i win...reading a FoA about me would be cool, but hey i already know all about myself so it wouldn't be as cool as reading about someone else

and while it sounds like i am coming down on solver, i'm not, i think you are doing a really good job with the series, i just think that there should be some kind of more precise method of determining who to interview next, for one thing to keep people from getting their feelings hurt, and for another thing trying to overzealous people from spamming vote for ME! and finally so we can see a good cross section of apolyton, and not have one section dominate all of the others, i mean i can think of people from every section i would like to see in FoA, most of them for different reasons
i certainly don't think it is bad right now, but i see lots of potential for it to get out of hand

so keep up the good work solver, and realize i'm offering these suggestions to try and make the FoA even better than what it is now, because i think it really makes the community stronger, and i'm glad you got a pic of xin yu, it would be cool if possible to include a pic of everyone in the FoA, so we could see the person behind the posts

just as i don't want to see 10 OT interviews in a row, i don't think we should go overboard and interview every single person who ever posted in the alt civs section either

but slightly over representing the less active forums isn't a bad thing

just like how vel, wesw, and tau ceti all came first, while there is nothing wrong with this from a strength of selection standpoint (all were more than worthy of being in the FoA); however a few people got all huffy about how solver was only interviewing his buddies, which wasn't true but that illustrates how uptight people can be, yet this seems to disappear if there are rules and those rules seem fair

i would almost guarantee if we had of established rules on the selection criteria of people before starting the FoA and people agreed that those rules were fair, then even if the FoA had the same order, i bet that there wouldn't have been any complaining, so i am just trying to think of ways to make sure this isn't as much of a headache

here's an idea, maybe we could vote on which section we want to see a FoA from (and give a list of possible candidates from each section), and have a rule that one section can't get more than 2 FoAs before all of the other sections have had their turn, so while Civ3, Civ2, and the OT might get to have 2 FoA alt civs could still get one, and once every section has had at least one FoA then it would start all over
Old March 19, 2002, 14:14   #86
Solver
lifer
Deity

Korn, thanks, good points. I'll remember these.

There's also a picture of Yin, BTW. I've offered everyone to send a pic, but only Yin, Xin Yu and Stefu did.

Actually, I don't think there should be a vote for each FoA interview. I have names in my head for at least another 10 interivews. The #10 just seemed somewhat special.

I think Saddam might be a good interview, admittedly, for some have heard of him, some have read his posts in the OTF, but not many know him.

And BTW, you can hardly split FoAs by sections. Say, I am Civ 3, CtP and Apolyton.
Old March 19, 2002, 17:45   #87
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
I guess I win !

But you will have to wait till friday or monday for a picture. Its against the rules to use it for things like these. So I have work late next monday or friday anyway
Sorry, FG... I decided I'd tie the vote just to throw a little monkey wrench into the works Now, hopefully some more people will come in and vote for Solver so we'll have a three-way tie.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old March 20, 2002, 05:31   #88
Keygen
staff
Call to Power PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall To Power SuperLeaguePolyCast TeamCivilization IV PBEMBtS Tri-LeagueC4WDG Delian League
ACS Staff Member / Hosted Site Admin

Interesting candidates Solv

I am not sure who I would like to see first interviewed but I surely would like to see all of them in the future.

Perhaps Locutus first? An old CtP 1&2 mod maker and great help in creation related discussions. I like this guy

Solv, you propose yourself for the interview? Who said that anyone would be interested on reading about you?
Of cource I am kidding friend Truly I always wanted to see an interview with you since FoA started. I guess I am going to see that after all

Never thought of reading an interview with Faded
But, yes why not, I would like to see an interview with one of the most sociable & eccentric Apolytoners ever seen Go Faded

I heared of DarkCloud recently from the "The Apolyton 100" and I really liked and appreciated his work.

Lastly I had seen Korn in a couple of threads but I don't know anything about him. Well, what the hell, why not learn something about him from within FoA

BTW, if Solver or Faded goes for it I would surely be offered to do part or all of the interview since I know both too well
Old March 20, 2002, 05:57   #89
Solver
lifer
Deity

Keygen, first, cast your vote, I haven't see you voted yet.

Second, who said you'll be offered to make the interview? Maybe a couple of questions, but I'll see with the whole. If you beg it well, I might consider.
Old March 20, 2002, 06:32   #90
spartak
King

We need two more votes for Solver. Come on guys give him a brea\k.