Old March 16, 2002, 13:26   #1
scooter mk2
Settler

Local Time: 18:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
removing the non-upgradable units
Late in the game when I get advanced flght and modern armour, etc.. Obselete units like calvary, jet fighter and bomber are still on the list despite a more advanced unit taking its place. What Civ3 needs is the workshop from SMAC so that the player can remove obselete units from the build list. It would also be cool if in the game we could put together a few different variants of one unit.
Old March 16, 2002, 14:07   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 23:48
That would be great.

I haven't played SMAC much so I don't know how that works, but I'd like to be able to choose myself what units/buildings should be on the list, this means (for my case) that the nuclear plants wont be on the building list (since I never built them anyway )
Old March 16, 2002, 14:16   #3
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 21:48
having a swordsman on the build list when you have mch inf. is just.......

you could upgrade it in the editor, but, should we really have to do this?
Old March 16, 2002, 14:47   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:48
I agree that we should be able to remove cavalry and swordsmen etc. from the build list if we so choose. I guess at least we only see the highest evolutionary unit in the chain.

I disagree with the return of the unit workshop. I thought that while it added to the sci-fi quality of smax, i found it to be quite irritating having to update every unit type with a new discovery, and by the time I usually built a prototype for a weapon, the next advance had come along and yadda yadda. Also, it worked well becuase the weapons and armors were based.on high technology-I can see replacing a laser with a particle impactor on whatever, but I can't see adding a tank's weaponry onto a mounted unit (ok, extreme analogy, i know)

Though, it would be nice to be able to add certain qualities into units like AA or anti-horse etc, but I think that it is better for a civ-game to have units that have inherent skills, rather than tacking them on to anything. (though I did enjoy the aircraft-based colony pods)
Of course, I guess we don't even have that for now
Old March 16, 2002, 14:50   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 17:48
This is really easy to do. Just make the unit that you want to disappear upgrade to another unit, but don't give the unit the upgrade ability. For example, say you want Cavalry to become obsolete when you get Tanks, but you don't want Cavalry to upgrade into Tanks. In the editor, got to Cavalry in the Units tab, select Tanks in the upgrade box, but leave Upgrade in the abilities box unchecked. Now Cavalry will disappear from the build list when you get Tanks, but you can't upgrade them to Tanks.
Old March 16, 2002, 14:54   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
This is really easy to do. Just make the unit that you want to disappear upgrade to another unit, but don't give the unit the upgrade ability. For example, say you want Cavalry to become obsolete when you get Tanks, but you don't want Cavalry to upgrade into Tanks. In the editor, got to Cavalry in the Units tab, select Tanks in the upgrade box, but leave Upgrade in the abilities box unchecked. Now Cavalry will disappear from the build list when you get Tanks, but you can't upgrade them to Tanks.
Ah, great tip, this also serves the added bonus of returning the cavalry to the build menu if you run out of rubber or oil, right? good idea, will implement right away
Old March 16, 2002, 15:03   #7
player1
Emperor

DOESN'T WORK!

You could still upgarde those units with SHIFT-U
Old March 16, 2002, 15:10   #8
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
DOESN'T WORK!

You could still upgarde those units with SHIFT-U

I guess, then what is required is a little self-restraint if this method is to be used
Old March 16, 2002, 15:19   #9
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
I guess, then what is required is a little self-restraint if this method is to be used
Or having no problem with AI upgarding Cavalry to Tank.
Old March 16, 2002, 15:25   #10
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by player1

Or having no problem with AI upgarding Cavalry to Tank.

True, I wouldn't have a problem with AI doing that. the more challenge the better, eh? and this would make it more challenging on levels where they AI doesn't get extreme advantages.
Old March 16, 2002, 15:35   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 17:48
That would also be an incentive for the AI to actually get rid of its oblosete units (through upgrading). It is incredibly tiring to see them counterattack my Modern Armor with Cavalry. Especially when they're mixing in Stealth Bomber runs.
Old March 16, 2002, 16:21   #12
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:48
Quote:
The only problem with this is that you can still upgrade using the Shift-U command. So your only real choices are to upgrade the unit, or have useless units appear in the build list. I prefer upgrading myself.
Old March 16, 2002, 16:45   #13
simwiz2
Warlord

is it only the Shift-U that works, and not U or upgrade button? If it is then i think its a bug with the editor and interface, and the AI wont upgrade them.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old March 16, 2002, 16:50   #14
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:48
Quote:
That would also be an incentive for the AI to actually get rid of its oblosete units (through upgrading). It is incredibly tiring to see them counterattack my Modern Armor with Cavalry. Especially when they're mixing in Stealth Bomber runs.
I'm frequently playing korn's blitz mod, with cavalry upgrading to tanks. This feature may not be extremely 'realistic', but so far it is one of the changes that really improve the AI's performance. (And I also enjoy the less cluttered build menu.)
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old March 16, 2002, 17:10   #15
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 14:48
I kind of disagree with converting them to Tanks myself. I think it would be to overpowering to suddenly have a mass of them through upgrading. I've chosen Marines in my game.
Old March 16, 2002, 18:05   #16
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
I kind of disagree with converting them to Tanks myself. I think it would be to overpowering to suddenly have a mass of them through upgrading. I've chosen Marines in my game.
If I am the first civ to get Motorized Transportation, intend to use this short-lived (at least in v1.17) advantage to attack a neighbouring civ, but cannot upgrade to tanks, I simply switch to tank production in my core cities, disband my rallied cavalry units there (at least one per city and turn) and rush-buy the lacking shields. This usually requires two or three turns of heavy micro-management, but the overall effect is the same as with upgradable cavalry: a sudden mass of tanks.

That is, the overall effect for the human player. The AI, while apparently capable of upgrading since v1.17, won't do the disband/rush-buy combo. Which makes my mass of tanks rather overpowering.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old March 17, 2002, 13:11   #17
Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:48
just a question i need some help im creating a workshop program for my civ3 ( IT WILL NOT BR COMMING OUT ON THE NET FOR AVAIBILITY SO DONT ASK ) but im having problems getting some graphics for new units. where can i get some or will some 1 be willing to design me some? as im a total non artist...
Old March 17, 2002, 13:43   #18
player1
Emperor

Quote:
(IT WILL NOT BR COMMING OUT ON THE NET FOR AVAIBILITY SO DONT ASK)
Why?
Old March 17, 2002, 16:45   #19
The Templar
Prince

The is another problem with setting, say cavalry, to upgrade to tanks but not checking the 'upgrade' button in the editor.

Knights upgrade to cavalry and have 'upgrade' button enabled. Once you get motorized transportation, you can upgrade knights directly to tanks by hitting upgrade. Oh well, I agree with asleepatthewheel above - just show restraint. And let the AI have this one advantage, it comes nowhere near the reload advantage the human player has.