Old March 17, 2002, 03:26   #1
{\S/}Tripa{\S/}
Settler

Local Time: 07:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Difficulty
Was just wondering what difficulty you all play on.
I have just started playing on Deity and am finding it really hard. could be somthing to do with how the AI cheat but anyway. anyone know any good tricks
Old March 17, 2002, 09:40   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Usually on deity I build about 3-5 cities on a small map. Go look for iron or horses, and go for swordsmen or horsemen. I recommend playing as Egypt or Persia, or Aztecs, as their UU are ideal for early conquest. Build barracks in the cities you're building units in, then build about 10-15 units. All this should be done by 1000bc, then you go attack your nearest weak enemy, after getting their terrain maps (it's a good idea to avoid Greece, and perhaps Rome if you see they have iron at this early stage, because of their powerful defence units). Take over their cities at this early stage, although you might want to raze their capital if it has a wonder. Once your victim is down to a couple cities, go for peace. In the peace treaty, demand everything you can off of them (techs, etc). Every 20 turns the treaty will be 'renewed' and you can demand more off of them. Now you move onto your second victim, although now you will want to raze a lot of their cities and replace them with your own. I recommend you start building up your infrastructure after this too. Once you have 2 civs under your control, you should be raking in cash and techs, and easily able to keep up with the AIs.
Old March 17, 2002, 12:35   #3
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Concise. Little to add, but I would say that in 1.17f deity games you need marketplaces and banks first when you have the requisite amount of territroy and vassals. There is little point researching until late in the 3rd age.
Old March 18, 2002, 09:06   #4
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
... Once your victim is down to a couple cities, go for peace. In the peace treaty, demand everything you can off of them (techs, etc). Every 20 turns the treaty will be 'renewed' and you can demand more off of them.
I guess it's been mentioned around on other threads, but how exactly does this work?

IIRC, the only option I have after 20 turns is to extend the peace treaty or go to war again. Can I renegotiate and ask for extras?

AJ
Old March 18, 2002, 09:43   #5
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

This is a little annoying. What you actually have to do is go to the active section of trade negotiations (there are active and new; new is the deafult) and renegotiate peace. Otherwise peace lasts until war is redeclared.