Old March 17, 2002, 13:55   #1
Obese Monkfish
Settler

Local Time: 21:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Advice - my situation is...hurting...
I am playing the 3rd difficulty level - a step up for me. I am Germans, and I share a huge, convoluted border with the Romans. I have been building up for years in anticipation of being attacked, so I have good defenses (lots of pikemen, walls in all but the most interior cities). I also have a good deal of horsemen. Now, I want to attack the Romans because I am gradually falling further and further behind everyone in tech, and the way I see to help this is to claim some more territory (Romans have GOOD territory). I have gunpowder, but no saltpetre - they have saltpetre too. However, all I have is horsemen and 10 catapults...correct me if I'm wrong, but these are not going to do jack to walled pikes and legionaries are they? I will be getting Chivalry in 14 turns and I should have enough to upgrade, since I have Leo's.

but what I am thinking of doing is taking the horsemen in for some HEAVY DUTY pillaging. The Russians are already at war with the Romans so I might be able to forge an alliance there too. I'm talking just pillaging their land until all their top cities are worthless.

Advice? What would you do in this situation?

Thx
Old March 17, 2002, 14:37   #2
rpodos
Warlord

Local Time: 16:50
It sounds like your strength here is your pikemen, with an upgrade to knights following.

So yes, a) ally with the Russians to distract / drain the Romans, and b) pillage around the Roman cities that you DON'T want, using stacks of horsemen and pikemen. If there's an appropriate defensive position in their territory (like a threatening mountain stronghold near a major city), you might want to build a fortress and stock it with a few pikeman and horsemen.

When you upgrade to knights, take out the Roman cities you want, and when they sue for peace you can have all the techs, money, etc., that your greedy heart desires.

R
Old March 17, 2002, 14:47   #3
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
Since you don't have Knights, LONGBOWMEN could be usefull.
Old March 17, 2002, 15:00   #4
rpodos
Warlord

Local Time: 16:50
I almost never build Longbowmen, unless it's an emergency.

I would stick with building horses and pikemen... create two stacks with five cats each... put'em out in the open or use them for pillage.

Between the cats and the pikes on defense, whatever comes after you (prolly Legions), will be soft enough for the horsemen to take out.

Wait until knights for city capture.

R
Old March 17, 2002, 16:15   #5
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
Quote:
Originally posted by rpodos
I almost never build Longbowmen, unless it's an emergency.

I would stick with building horses and pikemen... create two stacks with five cats each... put'em out in the open or use them for pillage.

Between the cats and the pikes on defense, whatever comes after you (prolly Legions), will be soft enough for the horsemen to take out.

Wait until knights for city capture.

R
If it's not emergency, then wait for Knights.

(Lonbowmen can easily take out cities if guarded by pikes, but it's on you to decide)
Old March 17, 2002, 19:18   #6
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 13:50
The saltpeter won't help you at this juncture. Its only good for defense at this point so don't bother trading for it. Musketmen just aren't that much better than pikes for defense.

Since the Romans are allready at war you should be able to do well if you can get the knights. If you can trade for tech but try to keep enough money to upgade your horse. Maybe stop all research for a bit to horde up enough cash to do the job.

I suppose you could use longbowmen but that the end of the upgrade path. They would only be good for this one war.