View Poll Results: What are your usual map choices?
Earth map with correct start positions 2 6.06%
Earth map with random start positions 2 6.06%
Random map, culturally linked 10 30.30%
Random map, random starts 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 17, 2002, 14:41   #1
rpodos
Warlord

Local Time: 16:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Map choices
Two questions for all:

Are you using an Earth map or random?

Do you start culturally linked or not?

R
Old March 17, 2002, 19:16   #2
hannibcannib
Settler

Local Time: 13:50
i like the earth map

what is culturally linked???
Old March 17, 2002, 19:24   #3
Ethelred
King

Cultural linkage is when you have neighbors that are related to your civilization. For instance the French wind up with England, Russia, and Germany nearly every time if you don't turn off cultural linkage.

I like France's advantages and after a few games as them I got bloody sick and tired of having both the wicked witches on my borders. Elizebeth and Catherine at the same time can be a real pain.

To turn that off you have to change your preferences before starting a new game. Somewhere near the bottom of the list is a choice for cultural linkage.
Old March 17, 2002, 19:28   #4
hannibcannib
Settler

did that feature come with the newest patch because if it did i havent gotten it yey
Old March 17, 2002, 20:04   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I like both to be random.
I like things to be unpredictable at the beginning of the game. Get tired of the same faces, you know? And I prefer to not know where the specific resources are going to appear in the game. If i played the Earth game, I would know where to send out settlers early to certain spots on the map to secure rubber, oil, etc. which would lessen the enjoyment for me. Too bad there isn't a way to randomize just the resources...

ps
I think culturally linked has been around for 2 patches? not sure though, its under the preference menu for you to check
Old March 17, 2002, 21:05   #6
rpodos
Warlord

Answering my own question, I do all of the above, depending on my mood, and which civ I want to play.

For instance, playing the Egyptians, Babs, Persians, or Romans on an Earth map with correct starting positions is a blast.

Playing Japan on a random culturally linked map is too easy, so I'll turn that off.

Playing Egypt on a random culturally linked map is pretty good too.

Depends.

R
Old March 17, 2002, 23:02   #7
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 22:50
Culturally linked, small, 5 billion, random pangaea large landmass map usually. Maps much bigger than that tend to give really slow games in the late stages, and the settings I choose tend to give fairly good land over the whole map.
Old March 18, 2002, 11:16   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 17:50
Random maps, a bit of each (linked/not linked). Mostly linked, though. If I'm playing a builder game, which is most often, the linking helps, because you get a dilpomacy boost from that. It's easier to keep your neighbors happy.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 18, 2002, 15:30   #9
rpodos
Warlord

Arrian,

What do you mean by a "diplomacy boost"?

R
Old March 18, 2002, 16:12   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

rpodos,

Your "culturally linked" neighbors are predisposed toward...um... liking you, I guess is the best explanation. You have a small diplomatic advantage with them, as compared to non-linked civs. So, if you are the Egyptians, you will find diplomacy easier with Greece and Rome than you would if you were say... Indian. Sure, Rome is still aggressive and militaristic, but it's a little bit easier to placate them if you are "linked."

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 18, 2002, 18:16   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:50
Usually random, linked, large continents, warm climate (very little tundra).

Unless I let the banana pick for me. Then all h*ll breaks loose...

Salve
Old March 18, 2002, 18:27   #12
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
If I'm playing a builder game, which is most often, the linking helps, because you get a dilpomacy boost from that. It's easier to keep your neighbors happy.
I had forgotten about that feature ... Maybe I should give cultural linking a second try, even when the results are somewhat predictable. But it should definitely boost a builder style game ...

Too bad. If you had posted this three hours earlier, I'd be playing now.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old March 21, 2002, 12:19   #13
dunk
Prince

I like all of it to be random. I like small to midsized island maps.

Playing on the Earth map is fun too, but I prefer the random maps.

I think that "Culturally Linked" bonus is silly. That should definately be random.
Old March 21, 2002, 12:26   #14
rpodos
Warlord

Arrian,

Is the "cultural boost" documented somewhere? Anecdotally, I have not found that to be the case. I mostly play the older cultures, and they all tend to be aggressive (anyone noticed that Persia is almost as bad as Germany?).

R
Old March 21, 2002, 12:51   #15
Arrian
Deity

rpodos,

I'm pretty sure it was documented, I just don't remember where. I have, though, noticed it. If I start a game with the linked locations off, everyone I meet starts off "annoyed" (except for Joan of Arc and Ghandi, I think) with me. With the linkage on, I often bump into "polite" or "cautious" neighbors. When I play Babylon, Shaka is "polite" to start, usually. That helps.

-Arrian

Old March 21, 2002, 18:25   #16
Herr David
Chieftain

Basically, the people with the same city graphics are friendlier towards each other that's all. And when you're playing with culturally linked positions odds are your neighbour is a cultural neighbour, in contrast to non-linked starting positions where you have the Persians next to the Iroquis and the English.

(Interestingly, the Americans share the same graphics set with the Iroquis and the Aztecs so they're friendlier towards them as towards the English and Germans... that makes me wonder what the people at Apolyton considered American in the first place. And what Lincoln as to do with Hiawatha and Montezuma.)
Old March 21, 2002, 18:43   #17
godinex
Prince

Local Time: 15:50
I use my own maps... thats all.