Old March 17, 2002, 22:07   #1
Apolex
Warlord

Local Time: 16:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MOO2 won't work with XP
I just got a Sony Vaio laptop and it came with Windows XP. One of the first things I did was to try and install MOO2 my favorite game. I applied the patch and when I tried to run it I kept getting an error message saying that it won't run on "Windows 2000".

I have had nothing but BS since trying to run my laptop with XP. None of my older games and a lot of my older software isn't compatible with it! I'm seriously thinking about nuking the POS OS and installing Win98. At least it is functional.

I guess I could just wait until MOO3 is out and hope THAT runs on XP. This is extremely annoying. *ugh* XP sucks.

-Apolex
Apolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2002, 00:59   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:52
I see no reason why it should not work on XP as it ran fine for me on NT and they are basically the same kernel. Look on the web for the tons of tips for legacy games on XP. I am not running it currently. As long as directx 2 or what ever the level was is supported and it is it should work. Good Luck.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2002, 12:56   #3
Apolex
Warlord

Local Time: 16:52
I did the windows update and it fixed a lot of XP crap. After that it works fine. I still can't get most of my other older games to work on XP though (Carmageddon II, Balls of Steel, etc.). They keep giving me messages saying that it won't run on the current OS. What an "upgrade"... can't even run my old software.

-Apolex
Apolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2002, 18:14   #4
vmxa1
Deity

I have a second PC that I would use for legacy games if I go to XP or the next OS. The other choice is to have a dual or triple boot.
Old March 21, 2002, 20:59   #5
dexter4dxm
Warlord

Local Time: 13:52
strange, i've got windows xp computers that have never been updated and they run moo2 just fine. you will have problems running older DOS ONLY games because windows xp is completely independant from DOS (XP is actually the first home user windows OS to do this). since moo2 was made for win '95, it should work fine
Old March 31, 2002, 20:17   #6
dexter4dxm
Warlord

Local Time: 13:52
MOO2 XP WORKAROUND
okay, now i have had some problems with running it on XP systems. but there is a workaround. i didnt notice this problem before because i used the workaround before i even tried it normally and now i think you have to do this for it to work on un-updated XP.
what you have to do is put the cd on your harddrive and tell moo2 where it is. in basic steps:

1) install moo2 (if you already have it installed, that's fine)

2) make a sub-directory in the moo2 directory called cdrom or something (example: c:\games\moo2\cdrom)

3) go to 'my computer' and right click your cdrom drive, then click open

4) now select all the files on the cd and click copy

5) now go to the moo2\cdrom directory you created and paste all the files there. depending on the speed of your cdrom, this should take from 3-10 min or so.

6) now go to your moo2 directory and edit a file called orioncd.ini so that it points to your cdrom directory you created in step 2. my ini file looks like this:
C:\Games\MOO2\Cdrom\

7) now enjoy the game! as an added plus you no longer have to put the cd in when you want to play.
Old April 11, 2002, 10:10   #7
xwho
Settler

Local Time: 22:52
it works fine with my xp. i have xp pro all updates (except one from 26.03.2002 which screwed my adobe premiere and i deinstalled it). moo1 was a bit troubling (had to switch ON the ems and xms ->properties). as a matter of fact i had no troubles with ANY of DOS games untill now or any others.
xwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2002, 12:19   #8
vmxa1
Deity

I am glad to hear Moo and Mo2 are working in XP. I will be dropping XP pro in next week or whenever I finish Heroes IV campaign I am in.