Old March 17, 2002, 22:14   #1
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
wierd beaker jump
Diety level. its 1896.Democracy. Researching Rocketry. I estimate its about 1700(give or take a hundred) beakers per advance at this point. (i got that by averaging
148 x 11 turns(1628 beakers) with 308 x 6(1848 beakers) turns. It's close enough to illustrate my problem.
End turn, NOTHING spectacular happens, no wonders, no mayors on the run, nothin. in 1897, i now need 148 x 22 turns (3256 beakers) - or at 20% sci,
309 x 11 (3399). What gives? suddenly i need TWICE as many beakers to advance! Is this just built into diety level? I never noticed it before. I looked at some of the charts in the great libary, read what i could about "beaker procession" but I coulden't notice any incredible jump like that. Although it was rather late and I was a little overwhelmed by some of those beaker calculations. I've got an incredible (vs computer) game going but i really want to figure this out before going on with it; so please someone help me- Iv'e been getting way too much useful stuff done while i'm waiting to figure this out!
Old March 18, 2002, 00:01   #2
Smash
Emperor

well,this a big question.Um..anybody want to explain the key civ and research penalties?....check the Great Library in the strategy forum.In short(very short),you can be penalized based on your current tech level in relation to a specific or "key" civ.Eleiminate any gap by tech gifting and and you suffer no penalty....hoarde your science and you will get hit from time to time.I beleive it is calculated the turn after an oedo year

leaves with bunny muttering "wtf is an oedo year?"
Old March 18, 2002, 01:42   #3
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

I've read the stuff about key civ, research penalties , etc. I guess what this means is that i've just jumped ahead of another civ- and that makes sense cuz I do have a competitor (orange) (of course?) that i'm running neck and neck with. It's just that I can't believe that it would DOUBLE - and that i've never noticed a jump like that before. but if it sounds normal, than, cool i can get on with my game.
On another note, no matter what I do i can't get these MF'ers to attack me.
I'm no treaty breaker but i'm dying to kick some butt! Friggin peaceniks.
Anyways thanks fer the links and i'm still reading old posts & great library.
Old March 18, 2002, 01:55   #4
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 17:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bunny
I've read the stuff about key civ, research penalties , etc. I guess what this means is that i've just jumped ahead of another civ- and that makes sense cuz I do have a competitor (orange) (of course?) that i'm running neck and neck with. It's just that I can't believe that it would DOUBLE - and that i've never noticed a jump like that before. but if it sounds normal, than, cool i can get on with my game.
On another note, no matter what I do i can't get these MF'ers to attack me.
I'm no treaty breaker but i'm dying to kick some butt! Friggin peaceniks.
Anyways thanks fer the links and i'm still reading old posts & great library.
On that second point (provoking attack): if you're not a democracy, demand tribute like crazy, combined with demanding that they remove their troops every turn (regardless of whether there are troops to remove). If you are democracy (or even if you're not), my favorite strategy is to move troops into they're territory, then demand that they removetheir troops. That tends to work.
Old March 18, 2002, 04:05   #5
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

man, for some reason re-finding the great library was hard. anyhow, now i got the dope on the key civ, and yes it looks like if i give them about TWENTY advances ill be back up to where i was. And I was just about to wipe them out- one city left. Bizarre.
Old March 18, 2002, 10:51   #6
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 21:52
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Not good, but great question
I think you shouldn't worry too much about the beakers, though. I only do it and not well for OCC
Your science is going well anyway so don't worry
And giving 20 techs just to go a little faster seem very dangerous to me. If you give it to one civ, all the others have it 3 turns later, by steal or trade or whatever else.
By the way do you want to conquer the world or launch a spaceship.
Old March 18, 2002, 22:01   #7
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

No, i'm not giving them nothing. Actually it's kind of convienient because I know my next research will be automobile, so this is the last chance to upgrade via Leo's Shop. So i 've got a couple more turns to try some barbarian bribery.
Like most games i try to win with the spaceship landing in 2020. Normally
by then I'll have all the wonders and wiped out everybody , leaving one enemy city that I treat real nice and hope for the peace bonus. And then of course try to pump up the population and fill every square I can on the map.
I read about the airbase trick and i've decided I'll not use it. Just seems a little "cheaty" (not that I don't cheat by often going "back in time" when i've made a grose mistake).
I was wondering if anybody knew whether a barbarian city counts as a civilization, so I could wipe out the last AI but the game would still continue.
One of my tricks is to abandon a city on some far away island and hope barbarians take over, ensuring an endless supply of NON units via bribery.
Thanks for the replies and interest.