Old March 17, 2002, 23:04   #1
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 21:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New Victory Idea?
This may have been suggested before, but what do people think to the idea of an 'Economic Victory' condition?

The idea being that you have so much fianacial power that other nations find they can no longer compete with your supreme wealth and your financial power has such influence on other nations that your hegonomy is assured

Not sure how it could be implimented tho.
Old March 17, 2002, 23:12   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 16:52
That would be an easy win for me. By the time in the industrial age, I have 10K stuff in my wallet. I guess it's because I keep forgeting I pay-rush my improvments in Democracy.
Old March 17, 2002, 23:13   #3
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 21:52
yea but it coudnt JUST be measured in Gold.
Perhaps a Wonder to go with it or summat , i dunno, there's loads of ways it could be done and add an interesting victory condition
Old March 17, 2002, 23:23   #4
Thrawn05
King

Perhaps the first civ who builds Manufacturing Plant in all of their cities?
Old March 17, 2002, 23:28   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I think this would be a cool idea.

I don't know how it would be implemented, because the system used in SMAX to determine the amount needed, was to, IIRC, calculate the cost of buying the cities via probe team. Since there isn't that option here, i wonder how they woul quantify "economic dominance"

But anyway, I agree that this would only add to the game. Of course, with the sad financial shape of the AI, i think that it would be impossible to lose this way unless you were down to one city or something.
Old March 17, 2002, 23:33   #6
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 15:52
I agree that it would be a great addition to the game. One in which the current AI could never hope to compete though.
Old March 17, 2002, 23:42   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
Perhaps the first civ who builds Manufacturing Plant in all of their cities?

I don't know how many games I actually build any mfg plants. Usually I try to get synthetics and then attack whilst rushing to get the sdi up, just in case, ignoring the bottom of the tech tree.

And at that point, the game is pretty much over.

Maybe build them in 5 or 10 cities? Can you imagine trying to build them in 50 1-shield cities? (shudders)
Old March 18, 2002, 01:32   #8
nationalist
Warlord

I don't like this idea. I think that if implemented it would be just another unsatisfying way to win, along the lines of the diplomatic and cultural victories. In my opinion, I think that this economic dominance victory should be combined with diplomatic, cultural, and dominance victories to create a new, more in depth and more satisfying victory. I've posted my ideas on this topic a while ago, but if anyone wants me to elaborate on what I mean, let me know.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old March 18, 2002, 01:32   #9
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: New Victory Idea?
Quote:
Originally posted by Rothy
This may have been suggested before, but what do people think to the idea of an 'Economic Victory' condition?

The idea being that you have so much fianacial power that other nations find they can no longer compete with your supreme wealth and your financial power has such influence on other nations that your hegonomy is assured

Not sure how it could be implimented tho.
Great idea. It could be set up so that to win you havve to have X amount of revenue and X amount of shield production.
Old March 18, 2002, 01:36   #10
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nationalist
I don't like this idea. I think that if implemented it would be just another unsatisfying way to win, along the lines of the diplomatic and cultural victories. In my opinion, I think that this economic dominance victory should be combined with diplomatic, cultural, and dominance victories to create a new, more in depth and more satisfying victory. I've posted my ideas on this topic a while ago, but if anyone wants me to elaborate on what I mean, let me know.
This is probably true. I would win this way once, then disable it, as I have done with culture, spaceship, UN and occassionally domination. I live to kill, I guess, nothing else satisfies me these days.