Old March 19, 2002, 01:13   #1
Excelsior
Warlord

Local Time: 15:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What's the best OCC date ever?
I was talking over at the MOO3 forum and someone said that Civ2 OCC was nigh-impossible. Well, as we know, that's not true, but what is the best OCC date? I tried using the search engine to hunt for it, but it doesn't work so well. I thought I remembered a 46AD or so launch date, but the earliest I could find here was 776AD. Am I just crazy?
Old March 19, 2002, 04:18   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 21:55
I may be misremembering - but I think the 47AD was a collaborative effort to get the earliest launch at MP - the OCC record is in the 500 to 800 range so the figure you quote may well be correct - wait to see what paul says ...
Old March 19, 2002, 09:56   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

A 76ad launch (samson or solo, can't remember who actually did it) was an early landing game - OCC with 6 or 7 helper cities (read: camel ranches).

SG is right, I think the 5th or 6th century ad is the OCC record. For the MOO forum, tell them that anything before 1500ad is impressive. Before 1000ad accomplished only by the best.

(le marquis still trying to figure out how to launch before 1750ad)

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 19, 2002, 10:15   #4
Excelsior
Warlord

Thanks guys.
Old March 19, 2002, 10:38   #5
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 22:55
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
I may be misremembering - but I think the 47AD was a collaborative effort to get the earliest launch at MP - the OCC record is in the 500 to 800 range so the figure you quote may well be correct - wait to see what paul says ...
Actually the MP record is 6AD... one civ build enough cities to produce all the SS parts for a minimum time SS in one turn, and when 1AD rolls around all you do is give them the SS techs and enough cash to buy all the parts before their turn, then launch.
Old March 19, 2002, 13:03   #6
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 13:55
MP effort can't be called OCC. You can build as many cities as you can and 7 players are collaborating. One player (Rah) did not build any cities, he was given free units by other civs and being the hut hunter. Other civs were either caravan traders, science researchers or city builders. By 1ad everybody gave extra cities to one civ and everything was bought in one turn. It was a pretty quick game, only took 2 nights (or 3?). I participated in the first half of the effort and I still remember that all of us were waiting for the white civ to change to Monarchy -- because it was known then that whenever the white civ got to change government, all other can at the same turn. Oedo, are you laughing?

I remember Solo did the best SP OCC launch and his date cannot be broken (think about the number of turns needed for building those parts). His strategy was a bit different from Paul's famous approach. Solo did not care about getting techs or wonders at the beginning. He even wandered a couple of turns for the best city site, IIRC. His effort was all devoted to build a city which could produce one tech per turn. After he reached that threshold he easily got the necessary techs before 1AD. After the successful effort he tried once more using a size 4 city (size 4 OCC). Then he moved to size 1 OCC (I'm not sure if this was successful but people were talking about a size 1 OCC on the North Pole at that moment).

Oops, just checked the Great Library link. Samson was the first one to try size 4 OCC.

Last edited by Xin Yu; March 19, 2002 at 13:09.
Old March 20, 2002, 19:49   #7
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Xin Yu
MP effort can't be called OCC. You can build as many cities as you can and 7 players are collaborating. One player (Rah) did not build any cities, he was given free units by other civs and being the hut hunter. Other civs were either caravan traders, science researchers or city builders. By 1ad everybody gave extra cities to one civ and everything was bought in one turn. It was a pretty quick game, only took 2 nights (or 3?). I participated in the first half of the effort and I still remember that all of us were waiting for the white civ to change to Monarchy -- because it was known then that whenever the white civ got to change government, all other can at the same turn. Oedo, are you laughing?
no, because this was the game I found out the xxxo formula. . didnīt I tell you ?
Old March 24, 2002, 15:07   #8
markusf
King

i remember that MP Space game well. I had 7 cities and i was pumping out more tech then the SSC. We had all the techs by 700 BC but couldn't build the spaceship till 1 ad.
Old March 24, 2002, 19:01   #9
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

'Then he moved to size 1 OCC (I'm not sure if this was successful but people were talking about a size 1 OCC on the North Pole at that moment).'

Yep it was successful, and several other people managed it too - I tried a whale only OCC on the pole, but failed (was researching plastics in 2020ad), but my own attempt with ivory on the pole succeeded.
Old March 29, 2002, 03:45   #10
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 17:55
I thought the OCC record was Ribannah in 436. 436 would be earliest possible I think, considering that you would have to devote a turn each to the parts and apollo program. Overall was something crazy like 46 AD.

BTW, SGs, its me Silverdragon. You remember me?

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old March 29, 2002, 08:16   #11
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Yup SD - I replied on the 2No wonders" thread - just for you - a present --
Attached Images:

Old April 7, 2002, 21:46   #12
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Yes, it was Ribannah with the OCC record using the random start provided by samson, and 446 AD is as early as you can get in OCC.

samson had the best result with more than one city using the same start, which was 76 AD, but caravan rehoming was used near the end of that game in order to do it.

Without rehoming, samson and myself had 336 and 356 AD landings, respectively, using his random start, the key to our success being a railroad connection to an adjacent AI city, which easily provided advances every turn and many chances for 2 per turn when enough caravans/freights could be delivered.

Using my edited "river" map, and playing the game as a scenario, several of us were able to achieve BC landings in OCC. I was the first to do this. Using the same map and starting with some extra spies, Ribannah landed 500 years or so earlier. This got kind of ridiculous!

The size 4 and size 1 style OCC games were pioneered by samson. I believe he also had the first wins for these. In addition, I believe he was the only one to succeed in winning an OCC game in super deity mode.