Old January 29, 2001, 19:10   #1
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 18:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
What I expect out of custom Civ3 scenarios
Since I sincerely believe that the ability to create and play robust custom scenarios is the most important thing in Civ3, I want to share what I expect. It is not so much in how one should build scenarios or what ones they should be at first (those were covered elsewhere). It is assumed that Firaxis will include a handful of scenarios with the release of Civ3. These scenarios probably will cover the range of possibilities, mainly to provide a diversity but importantly, to show what can be done. Within a month, I expect to see dozens of custom scenarios available for download. These would cover the historical/fantasy gamut as we have seen for Civ2.

Here's the main point. Given my devoutness to portions of American history, particularly the Amer Civil War, folks have asked me what was my favorite Civil War game that I played. My reply? A custom Civ2 scenario. My favorite Amer Revolutionary War game (admittedly not very many were published)? A custom Civ2 scenario. The same can be said for some of the other portions of world history. What I expect for Civ3 is that custom scenarios will be the best game on the market for that historical period (given the similar scale and scope, of course). That way the main game is just a bonus for me, just like Civ2.
Old January 29, 2001, 19:37   #2
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 19:43
I completely agree. Enough said.
Old January 29, 2001, 19:51   #3
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:43
Y'know, I think they should get Capt. Nemo to make a scenario......
Old January 29, 2001, 20:15   #4
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
Quality animated graphics for the Civil War period. Cavalry and musketeers will already be taken care of, but there could be a few new units. The American Revolution could have Hessians, for example. Ditto for World War II, and Ancient Rome. I've already said I'd like a near-future scenario for some decent graphics for things too goofy to put in the main game. Maybe a fantasy scenario as well.

It's the graphics that I'm most worried about. Even though we've been reassured that we'll still be able to use 2-D images, I'd still like a good pile of graphics complete with animations for scenario makers to use.
Old January 30, 2001, 20:16   #5
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm always a bit surprised when I see that lot of people use CIV as a Wargame.

I think CIV lack a lot of depth and tactical details needed to make a great Wargame. In fact lot of suggestions from fans went to improve a lot the battle part of CIV.

I (politely) disagree with this point of view: while there are many tactical or strategical wargames better than CIV, I love Civ serie because it try to balance "conquer" with "explore", "research" and "build".

I tried a few scenario, in the past, and probably I never found and tried the best of them, but I didn't enjoyed their common lack of depth when implementing exploration, researching and building.

IMHO is far easier to "design" a battle than a complex Civ situation. I hope Firaxis will try hard to show us at least a couple of great scenarios not developed around wars background. Hopefully some fan "MOD builders" will be able to follow the right way

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old January 31, 2001, 15:14   #6
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 18:43
Adm, it's not just the wargame scenarios, those are the ones that stick out for me. Scenarios like The World of Jules Verne are quite clever (focusing on discoveries and advances) and I would also expect that a scenario with non-conquering goals to be among the best games on the market just by themselves. In other words, I want a custom Civ3 scenario that focuses on diplomacy to be the best diplomatic game on the market; one that focuses on strategic-level Amer Civil War (or WW1, WW2, Rev. War, Napolean, Ancient, etc.) to be the best; and one that focuses on economic events to be the best global/national-level economic game on the market.
Old February 1, 2001, 11:37   #7
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:43
Steve, you have Very Great Hope for Civ III, I bet more than Sid himself

I'll love a Civ III so powerful to manage to win in every area you mentioned: it will probably be more like a decathlon champion than a dedicated swimmer or runner, and that could be a good thing (but we should learn something by the fact that decathlon champions are never so famous as others ).

I'm afraid Civ III can't be a master of all: well, we can't have a cake and eat it

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old February 1, 2001, 17:45   #8
down th' pub
Warlord

Local Time: 00:43
Adm. - ask a few Brits if they've heard of Daley Thompson.