Old March 19, 2002, 10:07   #1
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 15:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The issue of wonders
Some of the masses are grumbling about the need for wonders in this game. To build them, we really ought to be rolling out the caravans on our main island! Forget marketplaces, breed camels! Once we decide which wonder we want, voila! we build it the next turn.

It wouldn't hurt to settle another city east of Apolyton to aid in this production. It would necessarily be small, but could be a dedicated camel ranch. You simply can't have too many caravans in this game! Besides, we need more trade routes.

Let the president and ministers hear your wishes!

(le marquis investing more gold in camel futures)

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old March 19, 2002, 13:44   #2
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:55
Yes, let's breed camels!
Old March 19, 2002, 14:43   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 23:55
Yeah, put all money on camels, we need to be prepared for Global Warming
Old March 19, 2002, 17:49   #4
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
let us build many wonders with our mighty camels.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old March 19, 2002, 18:51   #5
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 16:55
Camels -- Yes!
Wonders -- Yes!

(signed)
The Grumbling Masses

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 19, 2002, 19:52   #6
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 14:55
Horah! WonderCamels!

I say yes.
Old March 19, 2002, 22:25   #7
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I am in favor of organizing a few cities to build caravans to help make Wonders, but we can suffer if we dedicate too many resources to that. It isn't just an either/or question. There are also costs in building Wonders.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old March 20, 2002, 02:09   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:55
Can we get a list of available buildings to add to "Queues" for each city where building Caravans is a feasible idea? I think Caravans may be the order of the day where we have our exploration/settler factories elsewhere and our core cities have built most of the available improvements.

It is time for a Wonder or two, and we gotta start early!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 20, 2002, 07:56   #9
shade
King

Local Time: 22:55
We just should start builing a Wonder on our Main island apolytonia and switch its production when we are able to build Mikes,then use all the camels we had storred for this moment to have an instant Wonder....WE NEED HAPPINESS

So stop fighting over how or what might...
start builing a wonder in one of the cities of Apolytonia and have eg 2 cities building caravans wich we stockpille until the discovery of Monotheism and then build Michelangelo's Chapel.

So get on with it!!!!

Shade
Old March 20, 2002, 12:54   #10
ElDiablo
Chieftain

I know wonders are important, but us citizens come first...we pay your enormous government salaries!! Maybe we should just give you elected individuals a paycut!
I say we first placate the rest of our population, then gets those camels to multiply and use them for both trade and wonder production...That way, we can get more money as well...for entertainment and luxury!
"Listen lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. All the kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, buit I built it all the same just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burnt down, fell over and then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're gonna get, lad, the strongest castle in these isles."
- Swamp King (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Old March 20, 2002, 16:15   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Nay I say!

Let us keep our population to the size each city is content at and build Wonders there. Wouldn't Mike or the Oracle make ppl happy enough - just on a nationwide scale - and bring us great accolades as well?

Old March 20, 2002, 16:20   #12
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:55
This definitely a matter at hand, and we should decide whether to build or not a wonder, and if we do want to build one, on what city should it be built.
Old March 21, 2002, 06:45   #13
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
and if we do want to build one, on what city should it be built.
=>Logic=the one with the highest production

Shade
Old March 21, 2002, 12:44   #14
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Not necessarily, Shade. If we incrementally rushbuild caravans, then it won't matter where it is, as long as the camels can reach it. Any city on Apolytonia would do, as long as the others are building caravans to bump up production. I advocate building caravans and then building the wonder in one turn.

intelligence to few.
Old March 21, 2002, 17:46   #15
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
Not necessarily, Shade. If we incrementally rushbuild caravans, then it won't matter where it is, as long as the camels can reach it. Any city on Apolytonia would do, as long as the others are building caravans to bump up production. I advocate building caravans and then building the wonder in one turn.
that's also a possibility but I had the impression our cashflow wasn't that big so we could easily rushbuy...
We'll see...

Shade
Old March 21, 2002, 18:05   #16
Marquis de Sodaq
King

While I was president, the coffers stayed empty because of rushbuying. Per turn income was enough to selectively spend on rushing key builds.

I've no idea what the current $ status is, tho. (Verdomme, ik heb nog geen kopie van 't spelletje... Wij hoeven een nieuwe leider, volgens mij )

intelligence to few.
Old March 21, 2002, 18:21   #17
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
(Verdomme, ik heb nog geen kopie van 't spelletje... Wij hoeven een nieuwe leider, volgens mij )
heb het geforward...(als ge het nie in je mailbox vindt laat dan es weten...dan is er onderweg iets opgefoeterd.)

Shade
Old March 21, 2002, 19:15   #18
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

in the main island, without any doubt
Old March 21, 2002, 21:47   #19
cavebear
Emperor

First, I recommend *not* dedicating any particular city to building a Wonder. My experience is that conditions change and you often find a city building a Wonder locked into it when it needs something else suddenly (a temple, an aquaduct, etc). It is *very* painful to waste 50% of shields to change a Wonder into a temple if the city comes into revolt!

Instead, assign 2 or 3 cities at a time to build caravans (and all the mainland cities can take turns) so that no city finds itself locked into a penalty situation for changing production when problems arise.

I suggest that the mainland cities build a caravan every few production cycles and that the caravans be stored in a central location for easy movement to the selected city for the eventual Wonder (wherever is most appropriate).

There is another value to stashing caravans. Some of them will have more valuable trading goods than others. Those that are best used for actual trade routes (overseas, almost certainly) can be rehomed to the best trading city on the mainland (by lack of trade routes and most trading arrows) and taken out of the Wonder stash (not something to do too often, but sometimes the best decision for a particular caravan).
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old March 22, 2002, 13:36   #20
Marquis de Sodaq
King

I vote NAY to rehoming caravans. However, stashing them for later use is a good plan. Build wonders with all the food and hide caravans that are stacked up, saving the other commodities in case they can be traded overseas.

intelligence to few.
Old March 22, 2002, 15:49   #21
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

do we start a thread to decide what to do?
Old March 22, 2002, 20:39   #22
cavebear
Emperor

I don't rehome caravans in my own games, so I don't have any problems with us not doing it in this game. But some people do, and defend the practice, so I considered it as one possible advantage of stashed caravans.
Old March 22, 2002, 21:06   #23
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

could somebody explain me the benefits of rehoming the caravans?

i´ve never done that
Old March 22, 2002, 21:43   #24
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Rehoming food caravans supposedly means that you can send food from a city to itself! I don't know the exact benefits (having never used food caravans before), but shade might know.

He told me, y'see.

Old March 22, 2002, 23:40   #25
cavebear
Emperor

Actually, the food thing is a minor concern. The idea of rehoming an actual trade good is that the trade benefits are very dependent of the "arrow" (trade) production of a city. If you have (say) silk from a small city of 10 trade arrows, it is not as valuable as the same silk from a city of 20 trade arrows.

So, if you "support from this city" a caravan from a lesser trade city to a larger one, the ultimate trade benefit is greater. That is subject to whether the larger trade city is already maxed out in terms of trade routes, of course. You can only have 3.
Old March 22, 2002, 23:53   #26
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Rehoming food caravans supposedly means that you can send food from a city to itself! I don't know the exact benefits (having never used food caravans before), but shade might know.
I understand the logical confusion of sending food to the city that grew it. But there is a way to understand it. And I understand your concern. For the longest time, I thought a food caravan was taking food away from one city and moving it to another.

Caravan production is separate from the actual food available for a specific cities use. Think of the food trade as coming from just outside the city, and it will make more sense.

In practical terms, food caravans can have great value to cities that have difficulty providing their own food (like in mountain cities built for defensive value). I'll admit I don't use them myself, but I certainly see the advantages to be gained.

Think of it as just one more way that a city could provide itself with additional food.
Old March 23, 2002, 07:03   #27
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

He told me, y'see.
I know what the theory is...and I even tried it once for real just to see if it worked but my game gave me a nice popup saying it couldn't rehome a foodcaravan.(and about the other caravans rehoming just takes time...so no thx)

So what are we still waiting for...BUILD THE DAMN WONDEEEERRRRR!!!!!!

(geez we really start to look like the politicians here in Belgium )

Shade
Old March 23, 2002, 10:12   #28
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Yeah, all we need now is for cavebear to start OPENLy slagging me off and there's a real Parliament right there.

But I couldn't care less right now.

Old March 24, 2002, 10:46   #29
cavebear
Emperor

No slagging was intended.
Old March 24, 2002, 15:42   #30
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Yes, I agree that we need a wonder. I don't care which one(s), just build a wonder already!