Old June 12, 2002, 06:31   #181
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
2130 to knowhow2. Sorry about the reload, my computer stuffed up the first time and I couldn't save the game.
Old June 12, 2002, 09:31   #182
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 15:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Not sure I understand where you're coming from Mongoose... would you be making the supply boats in your HQ and sending them over to the inefficient base, or what?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old June 12, 2002, 10:36   #183
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 22:58
turn to shai
Old June 12, 2002, 10:51   #184
knowhow2
King

Starting from tomorrow evening (27 hours or so from now), I'll be out of town for 10 days. Haven't seen my folks awhile now. Sorry about the delay. Real Life
Old June 12, 2002, 10:54   #185
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Have fun... (if there is such a word when visiting parents) knowhow.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old June 12, 2002, 11:11   #186
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 16:58
Quote:
Originally posted by FlameFlash
Not sure I understand where you're coming from Mongoose... would you be making the supply boats in your HQ and sending them over to the inefficient base, or what?
There are no supply boats , that's the point. All that convoying would be done between two seabases with land crawlers. That's why it's so funny!

To clarify the mechanics:

A supply unit (on whatever chassis) can do these things:

1) be added to the construction of a prototype or Secret Project for the full value in minerals of the supply unit

2) be given the 'convoy' command on some tile, which thereafter harvests all the resources of any single type to the home base the supply unit (this can be changed from turn to turn, but in any single turn, only a single resource type can be convoyed by a single supply unit. Further, no more than one supply unit may harvest the same tile, regardless of the availability of two or more resource types on it.)

3) be given the 'convoy' command in another friendly base, which causes one unit of a chosen resource to be 'sent' from the home base of the supply unit to the base where that unit is now stationed and has been given the 'convoy' command.

It was #3 to which I refered in the first post. It doesn't matter where the infantry chassis supply units were initially built. In the example, they could have been built either in the inefficient base or in some other base and transported to the inefficient one subsequently. ALL, however, must be 'homed' to the inefficient base, THEN transported to HQ, where they are given the 'convoy' command as in #3.
Old June 12, 2002, 11:22   #187
FlameFlash
Emperor

*nods*

I was thinking you were wanting to do something like #2... that's why I was so confused since all you'd have to do is put it on a skimship chasis...

Under #3 wouldn't it be easier to do the same thing just with a skimship chasis though? That way you don't have to waste time building transports and you'd be safer from somebody who likes to pirate

Old June 12, 2002, 11:41   #188
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Personally, I've always thought that use #3 was a total waste of minerals, except in the most uncommon circumstances. But..

Infantry supply units (fission reactor, no abilities or armor) cost 3 rows. same basic supply, but on a foil chassis, costs 5 rows. Given that we're all water based factons, we're going to have to have some trransports laying about anyway. It would be tough to assign a cost to the use of a transport that would be in existence under either scenario, so I'll ignore it for the case of simplicity.

You only have to transport the infantry crawlers once, just as you would have to move the foil supply units, to the HQ. After they are set to convoying, the convoy cannot be interdicted by any means except cutting the inefficeint base's ability to harvest the resources in the first place.

To my eye, the infantry chassis is superior for this use in this situation.

A more efficient use of resources would be to build the foil supplies, base them in HQ and then use option #2 to harvest the energy special tiles in the radius of the inefficient base directly to HQ. This would need one foil supply per resource tile, vs. one infantry supply per energy unit being convoyed. Assume two energy tiles, with tidal harness---> total of 10 energy. It would take 10 infantry supplies to implement the first plan (30 rows!) or two foil supplies (10 rows) to implement the second. Of course, the second plan would be forever subject to the sinking of the foil supplies.

The point never was that this was a viable strategy, FF, merely that it could be accomplished at all without the ongoing committment of any seagoing vessel whatsoever.

I repeat --- "How dey do dat!!?" LOL
Old June 12, 2002, 11:49   #189
FlameFlash
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose
The point never was that this was a viable strategy, FF, merely that it could be accomplished at all without the ongoing committment of any seagoing vessel whatsoever.
Oh I understood that... just suffering from one of my denser days I suppose...

At any rate, I'd never even known about the third option before your original posting, which caused some of my confusion...

Then there's the idea that we could just heavily armor and power these little crawlers and you've got back-up defense in your HQ. (Too bad we can't give them a probe team ability as well so they'd really help protect the HQ.)

Old June 13, 2002, 07:19   #190
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Local Time: 23:58
Turn sent to FlameFlash, 2131.

I haven't used much convoy command so I probably wouldn't have figured it out. Kind of interesting. Twenty turns of playing and strategies are already taking form.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
- Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Old June 13, 2002, 09:26   #191
FlameFlash
Emperor

Turn recieved... will play after work.

Old June 14, 2002, 06:36   #192
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

2131 sent to GT
Old June 14, 2002, 06:46   #193
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

2131 to knohow2.
Old June 24, 2002, 04:24   #194
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Knowhow2 back from RL yet?
Old June 24, 2002, 04:55   #195
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

By his schedule he'll be back on the 24th.
Old June 24, 2002, 09:33   #196
FlameFlash
Emperor

So, in other words... sometime today?

Old June 24, 2002, 13:33   #197
Shai-Hulud
Prince

We could start betting when will this game be finished. Since we're busy but motivated I think we'll finish it eventually. My bet is spring 2004.
"I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
Old June 24, 2002, 14:41   #198
knowhow2
King

I'm back!

turn to Shai
Old June 24, 2002, 14:47   #199
FlameFlash
Emperor

Let's hope it's sooner than that, Shai.

Old June 25, 2002, 02:27   #200
knowhow2
King

btw, I think I had to reload the last turn, can't remeber if it was this one.........
Old June 26, 2002, 12:42   #201
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Turn sent to FlameFlash, 2132.
Old June 26, 2002, 19:36   #202
FlameFlash
Emperor

Turn recieved... will play shortly.

Old June 26, 2002, 20:54   #203
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

2132 sent to GT
Old June 27, 2002, 03:49   #204
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

2132 to knowhow2.
Old June 27, 2002, 16:36   #205
knowhow2
King

turn to shai
Old July 1, 2002, 06:16   #206
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

2133 sent to GT
Old July 1, 2002, 20:58   #207
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

2133 to knowhow2. I had to reload a couple of times because the computer kept stuffing up before I could save the game.
Old July 2, 2002, 07:19   #208
knowhow2
King

turn to Shai
Old July 2, 2002, 12:56   #209
Shai-Hulud
Prince

Turned.
Old July 2, 2002, 20:48   #210
FlameFlash
Emperor

turned again!