View Poll Results: Which pre-modern ruler looks the coolest in modern era?
Caesar 5 14.29%
Alexander 0 0%
Cleopatra 1 2.86%
Hammurabi 5 14.29%
Xerxes 6 17.14%
Shaka 3 8.57%
Bismarck 4 11.43%
Catherine 0 0%
Elizabeth 2 5.71%
Joan of Arc 5 14.29%
Abe Lincoln 0 0%
Montezuma 1 2.86%
Hiawatha 2 5.71%
Tokugawa 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 20, 2002, 22:58   #1
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 08:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which ruler looks the coolest in the modern era?
So, how about it? Which ruler looks the coolest in modern era?

Note that I didn't include Mao Tse Tung or Gandhi in this as they are meant to be modern and this is a poll for ancient to industrial aged rulers.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 20, 2002, 23:19   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 17:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cæsar, since he looks like he is about to sell me a used car.
Old March 20, 2002, 23:52   #3
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 14:00
Hiawatha has a nice suit
Old March 21, 2002, 00:07   #4
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 16:00
Xerxes looks like an aging rock star!
Old March 21, 2002, 00:32   #5
Ethelred
King

Ceasar really looks like a hard bitten multinational bussiness raider.

I especially like his Furious look. He is one of the few that doesn't look just plain silly in the Modern Era.
Old March 21, 2002, 00:51   #6
spicytimothy
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

where's Mao??
Where's Mao in the poll?? at least put others...
Old March 21, 2002, 00:54   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:00
Like he said in his first post, he didn't put Mao or Gandhi because they are meant to look modern. Personally, I like Mao in ancient, Shaka in the middle ages, Gandhi in Industrial, and Hammurabi in the modern era
Old March 21, 2002, 01:16   #8
nationalist
Warlord

Bismarck looks the coolest in every era.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old March 21, 2002, 18:07   #9
Jethro83
Prince

Here's my opinion:

Caesar looks like he is about to sell some dodgy product on a telemarketing channel. Or maybe he is a televangelist trying to 'sell' the Catholic faith to countless millions. 4 and a half stars

Alexander looks like the CEO of some major computer software conglomerate (in fact, he doesn't look too different to Bill Gates in this era). 2 and a half stars (looks too innocent to be Alexander the Great. Even if it is modern era. Even Bill looks more evil than him.

The only difference in Lincoln's suit is the red tie, so can't exactly think that highly (or lowly) of his modern look. 3 Stars

Bismarck has a nice suit, especially the tie. 4 and a half stars

Whatever she wears, Catherine still looks like a grandmother. No points for that. 0 stars

What can I say about Cleo? She looks like she has a heap of towels wrapped all over her. Her previous outfits looked better (her ancient one is her best). 2 Stars

Hammurabi looks like some sort of evil art teacher, or a bigshot movie director. Or perhaps the manager of a rock band (perhaps the one that Xerxes plays in). Love the glasses and suit. 4 and a half stars.

Hiawatha has a nice suit. The feathered head-dress suits his suit. 4 stars.

Joan has a nice and tight T-Shirt but I still can't get over the skinhead look. Short hair would've been better than none at all (perhaps a similar look to Videl from Dragon Ball Z would've helped maintain her GI Jane esque look without going too much over the top). 3 stars.

Why does Elizabeth have to look like porcelain at every age? Its just not natural as it seems to be implied. 2 Stars.

Montezuma has one of the nicest suits of all. 4 and a half stars.b:

Tokugawa has the best suit. But then again, a middle-aged Japanese guy suits a suit, especially if its black with a red shirt. 5 STARS!!!

Xerxes looks to me like a mature-aged arts student (maybe Hammurabi is his lecturer), who plays in a rock band on the side (maybe Hammurabi is his band's manager). 3 and a half stars.

Shaka looks like a South African cricket commentator. I could swear that the building just behind him looks so much like a cricket ground. And the suit seems to suit the part. 4 Stars

So therefore, by my opinion, Tokugawa looks the coolest in modern age, with Caesar, Montezuma, Hammurabi and Bismarck just behind. Close call between those five though.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 22, 2002, 06:07   #10
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 23:00
I agree Bismarck looks best in every area
Old March 22, 2002, 06:29   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

How do Liz and Cathy look in the modern era? I've never seen, because even if I don't finish them earlier, somebody else certainly does. Same with Shaka, although I saw the modern Shaka when I played the Zulus myself.

For me the coolest "modern" rulers are Bismarck, Tokugawa and Hiawatha, and this because they look like halfway serious statesmen to me. All others are just clowns. Alexander looks like a schoolboy dressed in dads suit, Joan like a nazi bride, Hammu like some evil professor. Somebody said earlier, he looks like a James Bond villain, and that seems the best description. Same with Xerxes as aging rockstar.

So Bismarck is the man!
Old March 22, 2002, 08:07   #12
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
How do Liz and Cathy look in the modern era? I've never seen, because even if I don't finish them earlier, somebody else certainly does. Same with Shaka, although I saw the modern Shaka when I played the Zulus myself.

For me the coolest "modern" rulers are Bismarck, Tokugawa and Hiawatha, and this because they look like halfway serious statesmen to me. All others are just clowns. Alexander looks like a schoolboy dressed in dads suit, Joan like a nazi bride, Hammu like some evil professor. Somebody said earlier, he looks like a James Bond villain, and that seems the best description. Same with Xerxes as aging rockstar.

So Bismarck is the man!
JOAN A NAZI BRIDE?! NO WAY!!! I don't think any nazis would be wearing khakhi T-Shirts with "ARMEE" (FRENCH for Army. I checked into it with Babelfish) written in big bold yellow lettering. I'll admit though, the skinhead appearance is a bit off-putting.

Yeah, Hammurabi looks evil. Whatever occupation you think such a guy has, he still looks downright evil and likely to want to kill Agent 007.

Boy genius Alexander in his dad's suit. Doesn't suit his character to look like a Bill Gates Jr.

Bismarck really does look cool in the modern era. Quite an improvement from his goofy red hat in the middle ages. I remember laughing so forcefully that no sound even came out the first time I saw Bismarck in his floppy red hat, furious with me. Now that is a clownish appearance. Fortunately, he redeemed himself with his trendy modern suit.

Elizabeth has a red suit, her hair is tied back and she wears glasses. She still also has the porcelain skin of all previous eras.

Catherine has a dark teal suit with light teal stripes. She also wears a teal tie. Kinda looks like a man with a grandmother's head.

As I said before, Shaka looks like a South African cricket player/coach/commentator. He even has the suitable background for the part. Since when you play as them you don't see any .flc after ancient era (when you select them), I've attached a pic so that you may look at the background in greater detail.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	shaka modern.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	11768  

Last edited by Jethro83; March 22, 2002 at 08:22.
Old March 22, 2002, 09:25   #13
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 00:00
HAMMURABI LOOKS BEST!

He is realy "eye for eye" guy.
Old March 22, 2002, 09:33   #14
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
JOAN A NAZI BRIDE?! NO WAY!!! I don't think any nazis would be wearing khakhi T-Shirts with "ARMEE" (FRENCH for Army. I checked into it with Babelfish) written in big bold yellow lettering. I'll admit though, the skinhead appearance is a bit off-putting.
Well, Armee is also army in German . Without that accent thing of course. Ok, ok, add a neo and let Joan look like a neonazi bride, that'll fit.

Quote:
I remember laughing so forcefully that no sound even came out the first time I saw Bismarck in his floppy red hat, furious with me.
Bismarck goes RedHat . Maybe he invented Linux? Ok, the hat looks hilarious, but not as ridiculous as Shaka's in the same age. Bismarck's reminds me of some hanseatic merchant's hat.
Old March 22, 2002, 14:08   #15
nationalist
Warlord

Modern Alexander looks like a doofus. He goes from "Alexander the Great" to "Alexander the Dork" . To best decide, I think that someone needs to post a picture of every leader in the modern Age.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old March 22, 2002, 23:08   #16
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by nationalist
Modern Alexander looks like a doofus. He goes from "Alexander the Great" to "Alexander the Dork" . To best decide, I think that someone needs to post a picture of every leader in the modern Age.
Will do...

Note that I only added Gandhi and Mao to make the pic look neater. That's why they appear all beaten up, so you can tell them apart from the ones that count.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	modern rulers.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	11803  
Old March 23, 2002, 01:47   #17
nationalist
Warlord

If anyone cares here is my opinion about who looks the coolest. I'll start with the stupiedest and end with the best.

Wow... Xerxes looks ridiculous! Hammurabi looks like some kind of night club owner or something... Joan needs some hair, even G.I. Jane had hair... Alexander looks really dorky...Elizabeth needs to lose the glasses, she looks like some kind of secretary... What's with Caesar's dopey grin?... Cathrine looks like a venerable old head of state... Shaka, Monteczuma, and Tokugawa look like good statesmen... Cleopatra looks very canninving and sinister... Lincoln looks like a powerful and apedt statesmen.. Bismarck looks like the master statesman and diplomat that he was in real life.
Old March 23, 2002, 02:12   #18
PatLasch
Chieftain

Shaka Looks almost like Mike Tyson in the modern age.