Old January 25, 2001, 04:41   #1
Bush
Settler

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Prisoners of war?
This morning I thought about how CIV3´s diplomacy options would be like. I think that it could be a good idea to buy prisoners of back. A result of this action would give an increase in happiness among your people and increase the other nations regard towards you in a positive way.

Please comment....
Old January 25, 2001, 08:35   #2
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 06:14
nah! I think thats going a bit too far... how about setting it up as repartations of war in which the LOSING nation has to pay up as it usually happens.
Old January 25, 2001, 08:36   #3
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

nah! I think thats going a bit too far... how about setting it up as repartations of war in which the LOSING nation has to pay up as it usually happens.
Old January 25, 2001, 08:37   #4
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

how'd I get two messages of the same kind when I only posted one??????????
Old January 25, 2001, 10:47   #5
wittlich

Some times the system hic-ups (multiple entries)

Prisoner exchanges? No, I don't think it would be as feasible, since as it stands now, combat is either you survived or you died. If prisoners were brought into the equation, you would need a third element (POW). But how about this: If you kill a foriegn unit, you receive 1/10th of the original PW used in its production. This production bonus could then be placed into your national coffers at the beginning of your next turn. Of course if a foriegn unit kills your unit, then they would receive the 1/10th production bonus. This production bonus could relate to "information" or "intelligence" gleaned from your "prisoner" prior to its "execution."
How does that sound?

Old January 25, 2001, 14:09   #6
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Actually, if you'll notice that 80% of people on this thread want that damn live-or-die concept gone. And I really think Firaxis will change that, so it is safe to talk about stuff, like flanking attacks, prisoners of war, etc.
Old January 25, 2001, 21:11   #7
wittlich

Hummm, I guess we'll see then

Old January 25, 2001, 21:41   #8
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 20:44
Local Date: October 30, 2010
personally, i like the idea of POWs, as long as it doesn't get too complicated.

Sabre
Old January 25, 2001, 23:43   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

An option while attacking (should) be take prisoners and then it would be worked like the barbarian leader capture for teh exchange... you could determine if you wished to pay for a now "warrior" brand unit, then reequip them for less cost at your bases.
Old January 26, 2001, 11:51   #10
Transcend
Prince

Local Time: 17:44
Local Date: October 30, 2010
POW is a modern concept. In Ancient times or throughout most of the human history, most men were put to sword and women and children were sold into slavery.
Old February 1, 2001, 09:47   #11
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:44
POW is simply a modern TLA for old "slave" (men where enslaved as many as women where: who do you think that built all that Pyramids?

Of course the CIV/SMAC battle "till the last men" must be changed into a model that manage "surrenders",
e.g. when attacker vs. defender has a force ratio 5/1 outside of a fort, or defending unit is completely surrounded and 3/1 low on force rating, etc.

BTW, we discussed about slavery and POW recently here , more in details here and also here .

I posted on these threads, too, but the relevancy (of course ) is because plenty of good idea come from other posters there.

Just summarizing a lot, I suggested to introduce:

quote:

- Slave/PoW settler, when captured at the end of combat (immigrate/refugee settler into migration model) under control of warder Civ player
- Special Worker Slave/Immigrate (when "assimilated" to a city) into common city screen
- Ability to build Prison camp / Refugee camp by above special settler, instead of City (less management trouble)
- A "runaway unit", very low level infantry or special settler that you can try to recover back to original Civ (PoW) or found a new, separate Civ (Slave)

Thiod doesn't mean all they must be implemented, but a few should without too much micromanagement.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
[This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited February 01, 2001).]
Old February 2, 2001, 02:09   #12
BRENNANonTHEmoor
Settler

Just from reading about your comments i thought more about the ending of the war.
Unconditional treaties : which allow you to setup any government you choose in a unconditionally surrendered country. Example they could not construct a military for 200 year and had to pay a annuall fee. I think there should be different treaties to choose from. like Stalemate, Disarmerment, mutual assistance, pact, neutral zone, unconditional, or a specified amount of consecession, cities, money, technology, sphere of influence, or trade embargoes
Old February 4, 2001, 22:11   #13
Krippled
Settler

I reckon there should be POW's once you have built a structure like jails or got a tech.

You can set an option that either allows your men to be captured or to suicide - that way you have the best of both worlds. Or make the attack algorithm not quite so powerful if the attacker is attempting a "capture".

POW's are weaker than normal settler units but give them the ability to perform simple tasks (ie. build road...).

In this way once you have them you have a mass workforce.

Through the Council (as in SMAC) POW's could be bought, or traded - just in case you have some high-level units you want back.