Old March 21, 2002, 03:32   #1
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 18:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
ACSR "Unaired Pilot" Released From Archive
It`s been almost twenty-seven months since it was first scheduled to air, but to quote an old addage, it`s better late than never. Today, the previously unaired pilot broadcast of <B>Apolyton Civilization Site Radio</B> was <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/radio" TARGET="_new">released from its vault</A> where it was placed shortly after its creation in late December, 1999. It was to have aired initially on December 27th, 1999 but was indefinitely delayed due to an unforeseen circumstance. ACS Co-Owner and ACSR Station Director Dan `DanQ` Quick explains further:

<FONT COLOR="#800000">I was quite satisfied with the quality of the pilot [December 27th, 1999] show, albeit being a bit "chunky" at times as I was nervous throughout and I myself can sense that when I listen to the clip even today -- perhaps others can as well. Still, I was confident that positive response would ensue that would both justify and demand beginning regular broadcasts of ACSR in February of 2000. However, a formal complaint was lodged regarding the show`s structure, format and pending timing of its public announcement from a third party. We had exercised a professional courtesy to the said party in notifying them in advance of our plans for ACSR, and their reaction was immediate and surprisingly indignant.

While we were under no obligation to do so, we acknowledged the complaintant`s concerns by revamping ACSR in both name [`Apolyton News`] and format. The public announcement that shortly followed reflected this change in focus in its entirety.</FONT>

The show, simply entitled "ACSR", was structured as a collection of one weeks` worth of Apolyton headlines hosted by DanQ, much like its successor "ACSR Weekly" which too is now defunct. The said pilot was encoded using the standard 16kbps stream and is now available for play live on-demand just as it was always intended to be. You will notce some conventional differences, however, including a formal, extended introduction by DanQ and a different pronunciation of `Apolyton`. While it has not been determined exactly if and when the pilot will be `returned` to its vault, it has been decided that the clip will be available until mid-May at least. Its total runtime is 14m:09s.

The "Apolyton Stands" promo which first aired last August, for a show that was to air last fall but was cancelled before its inaugural broadcasts, has also been added as a classic clip. Other assorted clips to return to date include an interview with Sid Meier at the E3 Expo in 1999 upon announcing <I>Civilization III</I>'s development and the Infogrames 'Corporate Theme' that both raised eyebrows and generated giffaws in the industry when it was released last summer.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS

Last edited by DanQ; March 21, 2002 at 16:08.
Old March 21, 2002, 04:04   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:01
Apolaeton? Apoliiieyton?

Are you trying to get all Canadians banned, or what?

Wait till the Finns hear that.. Tikkki takkkki wakkkki yohouu!

Is that how it's really pronounced? I wanna hear Ming say that. That might be funny.

Is Markos even capable of coming close? Is Markos still on Earth?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Salve
Old March 21, 2002, 12:30   #3
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Hi notyoueither/Salve.

As I indicated in my news item on the example at hand, the way I have pronounced Apolyton in the unaired pilot is "different" and, specifically, I have coined it the 'Canadian slang' version on past occasions.

It's proper pronunciation, as has been clarified for some time now, is: A-poll-eh-ton.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS

Last edited by DanQ; March 21, 2002 at 16:13.
Old March 23, 2002, 00:28   #4
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:01
Sorry that I didn't see it either time, but I don't have DSL at the moment

But didn't you air this once... I remember Eternal or someone had a sig with the saying-

"And Dan's interview between the period of 7-9PM had a high of <b>24</b> Simultaneous listeners."

(I was looking at my archives today )
Old March 23, 2002, 01:29   #5
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

To answer your questions, DarkCloud, it was aired live once, but not on ACSR. Yes, it was available as a downloadable RealAudio clip shortly thereafter on Apolyton, but it was an archive of the entire show and not simply the portions of simply me being interviewed.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 23, 2002, 03:46   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Got that Dan. You being interviewed is the order of the day. I think you won.

Got it on the slang bit. So it's only Canadians who should be genetically capable of the pronunciation. Check. So it's kind of a secret hand-shake kinda thing. I can get down with that.
Old March 23, 2002, 23:16   #7
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Got that Dan. You being interviewed is the order of the day. I think you won.

Got it on the slang bit. So it's only Canadians who should be genetically capable of the pronunciation. Check. So it's kind of a secret hand-shake kinda thing. I can get down with that.
What are you talking about?

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 24, 2002, 00:00   #8
notyoueither
Deity

Nothing. There is nothing to talk about. That's the great thing about a conspiracy. It doesn't exist.

NBC news today, tomorrow the world... Or something like that.
Old March 24, 2002, 12:30   #9
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

OK then. Any one else with comments about the ACSR pilot?

------------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 27, 2002, 08:16   #10
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 23:01
Funny hearing about Dinosaurs.

We've got both kinds
Old April 3, 2002, 07:12   #11
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
dear Dan!

I have no way to play Real files.

I wanted to download it from their site , but apparently , we have to pay money for it now!

is there anything you could do? like , having those files in *.mp3 format , perhaps?
Attached Images:

Old April 3, 2002, 07:23   #12
notyoueither
Deity

I DL'd a free RealPlayer a few days ago [OK, 14 days]. You have to fight thorugh the pay for play cr*p to find it, but it's there.

Try going here

I don't know if it will work by tomorrow. It seems to have a bit of gibberish in it. But I tested it in a fresh IE and it worked when I posted this.
Old April 3, 2002, 11:30   #13
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Hi Dalgetti. Thank you for your interest in ACSR.

Actually, you don't have to pay to get a RealOne player -- the free version is linked to from <A HREF="http://www.real.com" TARGET="_new">Real.com</A>. It is only a text link, and definitely not intended to grab your attention, but it is located in the lower part of the page (centered). See the link provided by 'notyoueither' above to take you directly there.

I have no intention to create an MP3 version. For the reasons why, including why RealAudio serves ACSR's purpose better than MP3 (in our opinion), see the <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/radio/faq.shtml" TARGET="_new">ACSR FAQ</A>.

NotYouEither: have you been listening to the station? Comments?

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old April 3, 2002, 20:46   #14
notyoueither
Deity

Yes. I've listened to a few. They seem to recap the stories from the News Page though so their utility to me is reduced as I've already read the news.

It is funny to hear the pronunciations of some user names though. Do you think they have contests to see who can cause the most linguistic contortions? E X Anguination...

It's interesting to hear voices of users. Could you arrange to get clips from other users related to some of the stories? That would make the show more unique. Not everybody could do it though.

Get Ming saying *case closed* and use that from time to time as appropriate.

Thinking of going into media after University? UofT?
Old April 3, 2002, 23:02   #15
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Yes. I've listened to a few. They seem to recap the stories from the News Page though so their utility to me is reduced as I've already read the news.

It is funny to hear the pronunciations of some user names though. Do you think they have contests to see who can cause the most linguistic contortions? E X Anguination...

It's interesting to hear voices of users. Could you arrange to get clips from other users related to some of the stories? That would make the show more unique. Not everybody could do it though.

Get Ming saying *case closed* and use that from time to time as appropriate.

Thinking of going into media after University? UofT?
Hi again. Thank you for your additional commments/thoughts.

re: news cap
That is the primary intention, actually, to recap a day's news so people can listen to the news as opposed to reading them, or both! The choice is yours.

There is also the "ACSR Mailbag", remember, the March 31st edition of which has not been forgotten -- barring any unforeseen circumstances it will be online by the end of this week.

re: voices of users' clips
Unless they were related to the story, I would not use them at least as far as the current lineup of ACSR goes. There are definitely times when they are related; however, co-ordinating such an effort especially in a timeline fashion would be quite difficult.

I do include other clips where possible otherwise, e.g. if there are audio/video interviews with some personality in the community, songs related to the series or what have you.

As for your question, re: university, I am planning on continuing being involved in the media after I graduate, yes. Apolyton is apart of the digital media, after all. I have also previously written for some traditional media publications, including newspapers and computer gaming magazines, as well as being on the "traditional" radio on several occasions (all non-gaming related with the latter though). I take it when you say "UofT?", you are asking if I am attending the university of Toronto? The answer to the question is no -- I am attending Carleton University in Ottawa. I am in my second year of a four-year, double-major Honours (B.A.) program in Law and Mass Communication.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old April 3, 2002, 23:33   #16
notyoueither
Deity

Carleton. Good school. I was hoping I wouldn't have to start a *100 reasons the UofA is better than UofT* debate. I didn't really want to risk insulting the highest power in the land anyway.

Law and Mass Communication. Sounds like an interesting combination.

To keep it OnT. Do you neglect to give highlights of forum content due to the dominance of the Forums already? *In related news, Wiggy was found out to be... We now go for comment to Horsie. #I'm just terribly disappointed Dan. I can't see how he could have deceived us all these months. My faith in the system has been shaken.# We'll bring you breaking news of the developing WiggyGate incident as they develop.* Yeah, I guess it would be kind of hard.

BTW what's in the Mailbag? Nevermind, I'll go check it out.
Old April 3, 2002, 23:48   #17
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Carleton. Good school. I was hoping I wouldn't have to start a *100 reasons the UofA is better than UofT* debate. I didn't really want to risk insulting the highest power in the land anyway.

Law and Mass Communication. Sounds like an interesting combination.

To keep it OnT. Do you neglect to give highlights of forum content due to the dominance of the Forums already? *In related news, Wiggy was found out to be... We now go for comment to Horsie. #I'm just terribly disappointed Dan. I can't see how he could have deceived us all these months. My faith in the system has been shaken.# We'll bring you breaking news of the developing WiggyGate incident as they develop.* Yeah, I guess it would be kind of hard.

BTW what's in the Mailbag? Nevermind, I'll go check it out.
Thank you (re: Carleton).

My degree-in-progress is an interesting combination indeed and I'm enjoying it (well, as much as one can enjoy school anyway ). I know of only one other student in my year that is currently doing this double major, but there could be others that I simply don't know about.

re: forum highlights

ACSR? What's this again? Oh yeah...

On a serious note, this was more or less the intention of Sirotnikov's show which for reasons previously discussed unfortunately did not get off the ground. I am always looking for proposals for other shows, though -- just email me. If you would be willing to conduct/host it, all the better.

----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS