Old March 21, 2002, 14:14   #1
klesh
King

Local Time: 18:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New Version of 2194 Days Available for PBEMs!!!
With the blessing of Captain Nemo, for the last 2 weeks I have been hard at work doing a complete rework of 2194 Days of War. This is because it is such a popular game for PBEMing yet is so unbalanced, something had to be done. Hopefully this will reduce the phenomenon of WWII lasting only a few turns. I don't think I ever recall the old 2194 games getting into 1943 at all!

I have discussed changes with several talented people and have come up with what I think could be the definative PBEM version of this scenario. This is not some hokey 4 second fix here.

There is sure to be debate as to whether my changes are in the best interest of every civ etc, but what I have done is to try and balance out each Civ and their tech trees whilst still retaining their respective real world strengths and weaknesses.

I was going to hold a closed PBEM test round of this scenario, then edit any problems encountered. But due to time constraints and other scenario works I have decided to open this up straight away for all to play. I completely encourage constructive criticism, and would like you all to post some here as you experience things in your games. I will continually update the scen as problems are encountered.

I will also attempt to answer any of your criticisms with the reasoning behind the changes, so perhaps my intentions can be brought to light.

What I have done is to make my very first website (ya!) for you all to download this scenario (approx 600kb). Please don't laugh at the website though. I am not a webmaster hero, and all I had to work with was the crappy free geocities pagebuilder software. There you can also read the comprehensive (though, not entirely) list of changes that I have made to the scenario.

You can find the 2194 Days of PBEM files here. I look forward to everyone enjoying the work I put into this.

Regards,
-FMK.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	blahblah.gif
Views:	289
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	11733  
Old March 21, 2002, 14:33   #2
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 16:02
I think I speak for everyone when I say sssssssweeeeeeeeeet. I am assuming it has been thuroughly tested. No offense to Case but that last one just wasn't quite it. But I am raring to start this one since I think all the other ones I am in have stalled. If I seem to be babling don't mind me, I get migraines and the medicine I take for them makes me scatter brained and jittery. Thank god I am not like this all the time, eh.
Old March 21, 2002, 16:50   #3
klesh
King

Updated.
One thing leads to another and problems lead to more. I noticed a few errors with v3. I have squashed bugs over and over but some slip through the cracks. If you have downloaded version 3, please get this little update here (very small).

I will now upload v4 to the geocities site. If you didnt get v3 just go to the site and get v4.

I havent had a change to thoroughly test this in PBEM format Jimmy. Thats what I am hoping to do here. I have tested it by myself, and of course you never catch everything.

-FMK.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip updatetov4.zip (73.9 KB, 11 views)
Old March 21, 2002, 18:49   #4
Marko
Prince

Local Time: 22:02
You have done good work, FMK
Old March 21, 2002, 21:24   #5
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

To give an idea of some of the changes, Germany and Japan's offensive capabilities have been toned down, the SS are gone, but both Japan and Germany get a heavy bomber and advanced fighter to research.

Britain can now build LVT's, and has an advanced tank beyound the Churchill (The Comet), lost it's Mosquito, but gained a jet fighter, the Meteor!

Russia starts with better defense along it's Japan border, can research a super heavy tank (Js-2).

The USA can build B-17s at start, and cannot lose pearl harbor on the first turn, it's P-47 is now a fighter, as well as several other changes.

There are no raillines, but all infantry can now move 2, and only a few fighters are top of the line for bomber intercept are among the many changes.

Hopefully, this will all work well, but if not, we will just have to fix it.
Old March 21, 2002, 21:52   #6
Pap1723
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

I have found a bug...

I was playing and even though the first turn, the Americans researched Wartime Production, they were not able to build the Ammunition plant.

I also was thinking that the G.I. should be able to make amphibious assaults so that the Americans can island hop in the Pacific.

Pap
Old March 21, 2002, 22:35   #7
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 14:02
Why does German units cost more production in comparison to other civs?
Old March 21, 2002, 22:55   #8
Pap1723
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Magyar,
I amy be wrong, but I am going to assume that they are more expensive to show the supply problems and the shortage of natural resources and men to fight.

But I really have no idea, but it makes sense.

Pap
Old March 22, 2002, 00:22   #9
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Houston, we have a problem
I can't believe that I didn't notice this during my (too brief) testing, but on turn 1 heaps of American cities (including New York, Chicago and San Francisco) go into disorder! As this is before I even start to move units out of the cities, this has the potential to become a major problem.

Would it be possible to fiddle around with things so that at least some of the German 'happy' wonders, which aren't needed with a Facist government, are in the US?

Possible new names:
Nazi Party -> Hollywood
Hitler Youth -> 'Remember Pearl Harbour'
Nuremburg Rallies -> 'The Four Freedoms'

Here's replacement graphics in the above order. The one for the four freedoms is actually taken from a Nazi propaganda poster, but it's the cloest thing I could find to a Norman Rockwell painting.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	icons.gif
Views:	201
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	11763  
Old March 22, 2002, 03:11   #10
Soundwave
Prince

Local Time: 10:02
Looks good, and i hope to see new work continue!
Old March 22, 2002, 03:30   #11
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Re: Houston, we have a problem
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
Possible new names:
Nazi Party -> Hollywood
Hitler Youth -> 'Remember Pearl Harbour'
Nuremburg Rallies -> 'The Four Freedoms'
I think Hollywood would be an excellent replacement since it was a source of entertainment to millions during the depression. I like 'Pearl Harbour' but it seems kind of cheesy, I think a better wonder would be 'mobilization' to show the American publics move from an isolationist society to a determined force to be reckoned with. Just my two cents though.
Old March 22, 2002, 03:36   #12
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

How come these cities are in disorder in the new version but not the old version? Do they have all the city improvements? Entertainers? I don't think Germany's happy wonders should be scrapped because they are valuable in giving Germany money (tithes).

Not really important but something that gets me is the fact Nemo uses Belgrade instead of Budapest. Personal feelings aside, Budapest was one of the biggest, longest, and ugliest battles on the Eastern Front. There was no major battles at Belgrade. Anyone how knows the least about this theater will tell you that. Belgrade even has control over the Ploiesti oil fields and that should be Bucharest. I expected more from Nemo.
Old March 22, 2002, 10:38   #13
klesh
King

Excellent fellas. This is what I meant for this to be. We all love playing this scen, but we all know there are things that should change, and I certainly cant do everything right the first time etc. These suggestions are very nice, lets go through some shall we?

Quote:
I was playing and even though the first turn, the Americans researched Wartime Production, they were not able to build the Ammunition plant.
Yes, I don't know what is going on with this. I checked and no one can build them when they get Wartime Production. It should be cumulative toward the Steel Mill. But when I seel a Steel Mill off in an American city, it isnt available for building either!!! The Steel Mill doesnt even show up in the Civlopedia. The Ammunition Plant is in the Civilopedia, and its listed as being available with Wartime Production. I dojnt know whats happening here... I didnt even fiddle with this.

Quote:
Would it be possible to fiddle around with things so that at least some of the German 'happy' wonders, which aren't needed with a Facist government, are in the US?
Yes, of course it is! Great idea. I am in favor of using the 'Nuremberg Rallies 1938', as it will count as a Cathedral in every US City. I like the idea 'Hollywood' for this. I will try switching just one wonder, and if needed I'll do another.

I have no idea why these cities went into disorder when they didn't used to before? If anything they should be more happy, as they have more units in their cities...strange.

I agree with Mike that the Germans shouldn't lose all these wonders as the tithes are quite important to their economy. We'll see if losing Nuremberg Rallies hurts them too much. I will also add some entertainers into the US cities.

Quote:
Budapest was one of the biggest, longest, and ugliest battles on the Eastern Front. There was no major battles at Belgrade. Anyone how knows the least about this theater will tell you that. Belgrade even has control over the Ploiesti oil fields and that should be Bucharest.
Well Mike, what do you suggest? I can very easily give control of the Oil Field terrain to Bucharest, and even move the Ploesti Wonder into Bucharest as well. What do you suggest for a city size? As it is now, Belgrade is size 12 and Bucharest is size 4. Where do you suggest these to be?

Quote:
Personal feelings aside...
Yeah right.

Quote:
I also was thinking that the G.I. should be able to make amphibious assaults so that the Americans can island hop in the Pacific.
Well I think they should have no problem island hopping with those LVT-2's. The Ami's didnt island hop right away, and building a few of those amphibious vehicles will surely do the trick after a quick shore bombardment. Brit infantry cannot assault amphibiously, but they are allowed to research the LVT-2 as well. I think this gives Japan a nice window of oppertunity to run wild in the Pacific before the Allies can react.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

Quote:
Why does German units cost more production in comparison to other civs?
This is because Germany starts with alot of tanks and planes and Infantry. They are on the move from the start so later on, cheap units for them would allow their advance to continue infinately. They were never able to field their later armours in sufficient numbers. If they develop their economy properly, they still shouldn't have too much problem with this.

Okay, I'll try these changes and post an update.

-FMK.
Old March 22, 2002, 13:09   #14
klesh
King

Okay, I changed Bucharest to a size 10 city. Gave it the same set up as Belgrade, and put the Ploesti Wonder in there. I also gave it control of the one tile of 'Oil Fields' terrain that used to belong to Belgrade.

I changed 'Nuremberg Rallies 1938' to 'Hollywood' and placed it in Los Angeles. New York, Chicago and San Francisco still all rioted on the first turn after giving the wonder, so I gave them a few GI's to prevent this. All 3 are fine now.

Also, Marko noted to me that 'Trondheim' was spelled without the 'd' in the original, so that has been changed as well.

I still cannot figure out why the Ammunition plant does not become available upon discovery of 'Wartime Production' (MP). There is no apparent reason why this happens. What am I missing?

-FMK.
Old March 22, 2002, 13:25   #15
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 22:02
Nice work, FMK. It's nice to see Civ2 is still going strong.
Old March 22, 2002, 16:27   #16
klesh
King

Thanks Leonidas.

Mike, I think I misread your earleir post. I have indeed switched Bucharest to be size 10, given it the 'Oil Fields' terrain, and better city improvements.

But you were speaking to the fact that Belgrade is in there at all. So I took the liberty of renaming Belgrade to Budapest. In fact, when I look at the map, the city is question is better off being Budapest anyway.

I have solved the Ammunition Plant problem as well with the help of Pap.

Now I am just trying to make this 'Hollywood' thing work out. The Germans did loose alot of tithes, but giving them Cathedrals actually is more expensive for them than the tithes they provide.

More to come... and keep a look out for the update to v5 on the website too.
-
FMK.
Old March 22, 2002, 16:58   #17
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
The Germans did loose alot of tithes, but giving them Cathedrals actually is more expensive for them than the tithes they provide.
FMK.
Under fundi cathedrals have no maintainance cost + provide tithes.

I'll take some time to test if the game is balanced. After the SS is gone and the Imp. Marine is downgraded, the Soviet seems to have a big advantage from its Red Guard unit.

Soviet starts with a 10 shield unit, the other two Allied nations start with 20, Axis nations start with 30. Hence it is too big an advantage for the Allied when rush buying units in one turn.

So all in all, I think this game is in favour of the Allied. Japan may have a chance to blitz the US continent using its navy + AM Zeros, but Germany has no chance at all.
Old March 22, 2002, 17:40   #18
klesh
King

I am at a loss here
Quote:
Originally posted by Xin Yu
Under fundi cathedrals have no maintainance cost + provide tithes.
I was under this impression too. But listen to this. In order to give the germans back some of the cathedrals, I had to give them the tech that makes them available--> Theology. This immediatly increased their tax rate from 'profitable' ~ generating 550 gold or so per turn with costs a little less than 500 to 'in the red' with both costs and taxes all of the sudden in the 700 range. Mind you the Germans have no cathedrals at this time, none at all.

So I begin to add a few cathedrals to see what happens. Now after this, all cathedrals are costing the Germans 3 gold of upkeep per turn (thier correct maintenence cost). However, the cathedrals are ]not listed in the trade advisor's screen, giving the impression that they are free upkeep. But as I add them one at a time to the german cities, their total cost goes up 3 gold accordingly. I really don't know what is going on and it is very very frustrating.

-FMK.
Old March 22, 2002, 19:42   #19
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
Well I think they should have no problem island hopping with those LVT-2's. The Ami's didnt island hop right away, and building a few of those amphibious vehicles will surely do the trick after a quick shore bombardment. Brit infantry cannot assault amphibiously, but they are allowed to research the LVT-2 as well. I think this gives Japan a nice window of oppertunity to run wild in the Pacific before the Allies can react.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
Keep things as they are. The US didn't really have the weapons or know how to make opposed amphibious assaults untill 1943, which was about the time the LVTs began to appear.

Also, why don't you widen acess to the torpedo bomber? The Americans had heaps of torpedo bombers in 1941, and the British had been using their famous Swordfish torpedo bombers from the first day of the war. The Germans and Italians also used torpedo bombers, though not with the same enthusiasm as Japan, Britain and the US.
Old March 22, 2002, 20:41   #20
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

FMK: the prerequisite for cathedrals is monotheism, not theology. You don't want to give Theology to anyone since that makes oracle (Fuji Mountain?) expire.
Old March 22, 2002, 20:50   #21
klesh
King

Right-o Xin.

But in this scen Nemo renamed Monotheism to Theology...

Quote:
Theology, 1, 0, nil, no, 1, 2 ; MT
Mt. Fuji seems to have no expiration date as well...

-FMK.
Old March 23, 2002, 02:08   #22
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

To FMK-

First off, let me apologize. I forgot in my previous post to thank you for updating the scenario and to compliment you on your so. Good job and thanks for your dedication.

Secondly,
My main concern over the Belgrade/Bucharest mix up was actually in the event and I don't know if you've fixed it or not. Here's what Nemo had:

@IF
CITYTAKEN
city=Belgrade
attacker=Soviets
defender=Germans
@THEN
TEXT
^With the loss of Belgrade, the Germans lose control of one of the most
^important ressources in the war: The Ploeisti oil fields in Rumania.
^With this loss German tanks and airplanes will soon be without fuel...
ENDTEXT
JUSTONCE
@ENDIF

That is horribly wrong! I can expect this kind of mistake out of a newbie but not Nemo.

Quote:
Mike, I think I misread your earleir post. I have indeed switched Bucharest to be size 10, given it the 'Oil Fields' terrain, and better city improvements.

But you were speaking to the fact that Belgrade is in there at all. So I took the liberty of renaming Belgrade to Budapest. In fact, when I look at the map, the city is question is better off being Budapest anyway.
Correct! Thank you.

Quote:
I'll take some time to test if the game is balanced. After the SS is gone and the Imp. Marine is downgraded, the Soviet seems to have a big advantage from its Red Guard unit.

Soviet starts with a 10 shield unit, the other two Allied nations start with 20, Axis nations start with 30. Hence it is too big an advantage for the Allied when rush buying units in one turn.

So all in all, I think this game is in favour of the Allied. Japan may have a chance to blitz the US continent using its navy + AM Zeros, but Germany has no chance at all.
This is exactly what I was afraid of and I'm even more worried now that Xin Yu is sharing in my early suspicion. I think FMK may have over compensated the Allies. This works well if you want the game to turn out historically, but historically Germany lost primarily to poor leadership (aka Hitler was f*d in the head).

Heres how the game plays out in my mind, similar to the Axis & Allies board games: Axis start with a pile of units and must inflict as much damage as possible within the first turn or two to win. If the game is prolonged any later, they will lose due to attrition being heavily in favor of the Allies. And since this is a revised version, it seems FMK beefed up the Allies so much to make the initial blitz almost impossible to accomplish. This way the game will last longer, which is good. However, the bad thing is the Axis will have no chance due to the heavy economic factors coming in for the Allies to suceed as the game progresses. According to the initial demographic, Germany is 3rd in manufacturing goods and Japan is 5th. This already a major disadvantage for them. Then, you have the fact that their units cost more to produce blow the problem up to greater proportions. I believe Xin Yu is right in saying Germany has no chance. What I suggest is lowering German unit costs' to the same as the Allies, and maybe lessening the amount of troops they start with. Hopefully this creates an atmosphere to allow the game to intensify as time progresses instead of the game being decided when Germany fails to take Moscow at the end of the first turn. The worst thing that will happen in this situation is the war will not progress with precise historical accuracy, but it wasn't meant to in the first place.

Just my thoughts. If not, I'll just play as the British or Soviets.

Also FMK, I'm on Spring Break this week. So if you need any help at all I've got some free time. mihaly@jeszenka.com
Old March 23, 2002, 06:00   #23
Chris 62
Emperor

Axis vs allies
First off, don't blame FMK for Germany's postion, blame me, I was behind it, and Germany and Japan SHOULD lose the war.

More then bad leadership lost WWII Mag.
In the released 2194 days, it was a teutonic fantasy, Germany had it all, was FAR to powerful.

They have a real chance to still win, provided they research better tanks, and the Strategic bomber now availible to them.

Historically, Germany could NOT kick in the door in Russia in December of 41, now they can't here either.
The true reasons for Germany's defeat will quickly become clear, two front war, and they need to address this.

It means all the beloved strategies are gone, but bare in mind, so are railroads, invincable fighters clearing cities, and a lot of other unrealistic things.

Japan could not attack on five fronts historically, yet a typical 2194 game saw Japan on the US west coast on turn one, China nearly wiped out, the Soviel far east shattered, the East indies taken, and Austraila invaded.
All nonsense, and totally ahistorical.

FMK:
I'm TOTALLY against giving the USA the German wonders, they should not get this bonus, leave them with Germany, if only to deny it to the USA.
As for the happiness thing, when you made more USA units, are they "non" units or are they city supported?
In Democracy, eventually you reach a point where the city revolts if you build another unit, whether it leaves the city or not.

CaseI'm against giving Britain the torpedo bomber, Britain used the Fiarey Swordfish and the Skua divebomber till 43, neither had the effectivness of the Kate/Val or the US SBD Dauntless/TBF Avenger combination, even after equiped with US airpower types in 1943 onwards, the Fleet air arm scored no notable triumphs.
Before that, the Swordfish wad only Taranto as their big moment, dozens of them attacked the Bismarck to no avail, only a lucky shot jammed her propellar, hardly worth giving the beefed up Britain a powerful air unit it didn't have historically.

XinI believe Axis victory IS possible, Germany must now rethink it war, instead of mindlessly attacking in the east and defending with useless infantry in the west, now they must deal with britain with a hostile and EFFECTIVE Russia on it's border, just like the real world.

Guys, the axis lost WWII badly.
The original scenario went way to far in favor of the axis.
Now the Axis must fight an ever growing enemy while desperatly trying to develop advanced weapons (sound familar?) like Jets and Tigers before it's too late.
They now have Bombers in the late war to help, and Japan has a real fighter at game's end, unlike before, and Germany is in the rough spot it was historically.

Britain now can build real forces, and Russia actually will survive, an impossibilty in the past given equal players.

Keep in mind, Britain and the USA can be sea assaulted rather easily, Germany may now consider a surface fleet instead of paratroops and airpower.

You have to ask yourselves whether you want a historical scenario about WWII or a scenario where if the allies win, it would be a miracle, as the orginal one was for MP.
Old March 23, 2002, 16:46   #24
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Historically, Germany could NOT kick in the door in Russia in December of 41, now they can't here either.
The true reasons for Germany's defeat will quickly become clear, two front war, and they need to address this.
Then what's the point of playing? They can't do a quick win, which I have no problem with, but they will have no chance at all later on because of production costs. The games will be decided before they even begin, just for the sake of historical accuracy.

Quote:
Now the Axis must fight an ever growing enemy while desperatly trying to develop advanced weapons (sound familar?) like Jets and Tigers before it's too late.
That's not going to be possible, since the Axis governments are fascist and they are competing against democracies with far more resources at their disposal. By the time Germany may research those nice tanks and fighters, the Allies will have gotten their nice tanks and fighters too so it cancel's each other out.

Quote:
Britain now can build real forces, and Russia actually will survive, an impossibilty in the past given equal players.
Again. I have no problem with this. I have a problem with the fact that production standards will dictate the game into a war of attrition with no hope for the axis. I do believe the Allies should have a production bonus over the Axis, which they do, but not so much as to make Axis units cost more.

Quote:
You have to ask yourselves whether you want a historical scenario about WWII or a scenario where if the allies win, it would be a miracle, as the orginal one was for MP.
My opinion. Neither.
In single player I love the scenarios being as historical as possible, meaning if I am Germany I want to lose. But I don't feel this way for multiplayer. I am assuming by you saying historical you mean that the war will progress as closely as it can to the way the war died for real. I am against this for multiplayer. Mulitplayer games are fun because of the variety that isn't there in single player, meaning you have a free thinking human player in place of a monotonous AI. You are taking out the variety in the game by preventing the Axis from achieving a quick victory AND making them at a major disadvantage in the latter half of the war to simulate precise historical accuracy.

But hey that's just my opinion. You guys are free to do what you want. I just know that if I play this scenario I'll be fighting for the King of England or the Comrade of Russia.
Old March 23, 2002, 23:05   #25
klesh
King

I have made changes again. With the help of Henrik I wa able to sort things out to a nice degree.

The Ammunition Plant issue is solved.

The revolting cities issue has been solved without having to move any wonders. Germany still has 'Nuremberg Rallies 1938'. I added some entertainers to the cities in question.

As far as mechanics are concerned, I believe it is all working A-ok. I'm going to upload v5 to the webpage after this post.

I do see Mike's point with the production costs. But also think of this Mike. The Ami's have to ship all thir units into battle. That takes a long time. They are also quite vulnerable all the way across. If Germany can build more production improvements and get a few Industry terrains terraformed they should be able to keep up. It is very tough to knock out those tigers fortified on a river city etc.

If production costs were more simmilar, then the Allies are at a disadvantage because they have to ship their units across the Atlantic which is far more logistically easy then Germany building units in her homeland. If Germany can field Wespe's early on, they sure can knock on the Soviets pretty hard.

If the costs are made the same, then the abilities might as well be the same, because then we still have this historical strictness based on the actual qualities of the historical vehicles. I dont think anyone would agree that a T-34 is equal to a Churchill tank, or a Sherman for that matter.

So do you think equal costs, but historical stats would be more effective at trying to (somewhat) lead things historically without being too much of a bottleneck. I would prefer a nice balance. I dont want it to be like the Microprose WWII scen (not that I am suggesting you do either).

I think being the Germans in this scen is very risky, just as risky as it was for them IRL to start WWII in the first place.

Playing as the Allies is somewhat easier because all 3 of you can grind on the Germans and help each other (as it was IRL) and also your production abilities are superior (again pretty realistic). But if the Germans step into high gear with production early(unlike waiting till '43 as they did), then they should be ablt to fight the allies on an even keel. All the while, the Japanese are nipping at the heels of the British and certainly threatening the American west coast.

Thinking back on past games, I never recall the Americans ever getting to Europe to fight at all. Playing the game in SP as the Ami's, I always took forever to build up a sufficient army worth invading Europe with. The AI germans always had enough Tigers at bay to mess with me.

Now we have a functioning version *as far as I can tell*, so only playing this thing will the qualities reveal themselves to be good or bad.

Keep this discussion going though, we are hashing out alot of good things here.

-FMK.
Old March 23, 2002, 23:30   #26
Case
Emperor

FMK - I agree with what you've said on the production costs.
It's generally agreed that German equipment was more complex, and thus more expensive and difficult to build then Allied equipment. While pound for pound the Germans generally had better stuff, the Allies vast quantities of good equipment proved superior in the long run.
I think that this scenario should include this histocial fact.

As you pointed out, the costs and difficulty of transporting units also increases the real cost of American units (eg each tank unit also requires 1/8 of a Liberty Ship too get into battle).

Re the unhappyness: I don't think that increasing the number of entertainers is a satisfactory solution. Once I start to build bombers and move units out of the cities these entertainers will be overwealmed, and I'll be faced with unhistorical riots against the war.
In addition, the entertainers will come at the cost of my economy, which is also undesirable.

Can you please reconsider this decision and give the Americans the Hitler Youth wonder?

Chris - Point taken on the British torpedo bombers.
However, you underate the British Fleet Air Arm's contribution. While the FAA didn't sink that many ships, this is at least partially due to the lack of ships to sink. After the sinking of the Bismarck the Germans never risked their capital ships in areas where they believed that British carriers were operating.
Old March 23, 2002, 23:44   #27
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Good points FMK. I hadn't really been thinking about the Americans so much as I have been the USSR and British. I guess we'll just have to see how things turn out. But I still think that at least Wehrmacht should be the same production cost as other civ's infantry since they suck and Germany has no Waffen SS to compensate.
Old March 24, 2002, 00:07   #28
klesh
King

Maybe rename it 'The Boy Scouts of America'... lol
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
Re the unhappyness: I don't think that increasing the number of entertainers is a satisfactory solution. Once I start to build bombers and move units out of the cities these entertainers will be overwealmed, and I'll be faced with unhistorical riots against the war.
In addition, the entertainers will come at the cost of my economy, which is also undesirable.

Can you please reconsider this decision and give the Americans the Hitler Youth wonder?
I would definately be more in favor of this, especially since it would not affect German tithes (which I ought to rename to seizings BTW...) and since its effect is to decrease unhappiness, it is less useful to the Germans. They are fascists, so their cities won't riot. 'Unhappyness', unless you are going for WLTFD {Fuhrer} day, isn't something that will cripple the German War effort.

Getting rid of the riots in America (and incedentally in the Big 3 Soviet cities) was done with a combination of entertainers and luxuries, both of which would affect their respective economies.

Does everyone agree that perhaps the 'Hitler Youth Movement' would be a better aid to the Americans with less impact on the Germans than 'Nuremberg Rallies 1938'? I think this is a much better solution and a better balance overall.

-FMK.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	hityouth.gif
Views:	73
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	11859  
Old March 24, 2002, 00:28   #29
Chris 62
Emperor

About Britain and US govs....
I have been considering this, is there any reason they must be democracys?

Hear me out here, what if we gave them Communism, and renamed that "wartime government" or something along those lines, it would free up the US happy problems, increse production, would hurt the economy and research a bit, but it would certainly be historical, the WWII govs were dictorial in their practical applications.
You can then try giving them "Hitler youth movement", which we could call "Hollywood goes to war", and it's discription could be:
"Hollywood produced a large number of propaganda films in WWII, that helped raise money through war bonds, and helped stiffen the resolve of the American people".

For Germany, how about it's infantry only be the same cost as British infantry?
That way, Germany could build cheap units fast for defense.

Case
I agree that the fleet air arm accomplished things in WWII, but we have to draw the line somewhere, they can make the Lancaster and now the Meteor, they don't need the naval strike AC (which is what i call it).
Old March 24, 2002, 02:05   #30
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Hear me out here, what if we gave them Communism
Heh heh... I've was actually considering doing that myself on the updated version of Second Reich, but that's another matter.

Quote:
For Germany, how about it's infantry only be the same cost as British infantry?
That way, Germany could build cheap units fast for defense.
Yes that would be better.