Old March 21, 2002, 19:33   #1
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 22:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do you trade horses? Iron?
In my current game (Babs, Regent, standard size, continents) I seem to be sharing a single continent with the Persians. I also seem to have a lock on all the horse sources and possibly iron. Xerxes came demanding horses from me and I told him to blow it out his ear (although I'm not sure I have the military strength to back it up) and he caved in and backed off.

Now, should I turn around and sell/trade it to him for something? Or hang on to it to prevent him building horsement/cavalry, etc?

Same goes for iron, or any other resource. Trade it or hoard it -- and presumably make them annoyed with you?
Old March 21, 2002, 19:41   #2
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 17:04
Whatare you waiting for? Use the fact that yuo have iron to crush his Empire defended by Spearman with your Swordsmen and Knights. If you have Iron and Horses and an opponent doesn't, you have a definate advantage. Use that advantage before gunpowder comes and negates it!
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old March 21, 2002, 19:42   #3
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

if you dont want to trade them(and as a general precaution against random depletion anyways) you should not connect the resource to your road network, it wont deplete, and he wont demand it.
Old March 21, 2002, 20:23   #4
nationalist
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoha
if you dont want to trade them(and as a general precaution against random depletion anyways) you should not connect the resource to your road network, it wont deplete, and he wont demand it.
Why wouldn't you connect it? If you have a resource advantage you can build superior units and wipe them out. You say that you share an island with the Persians. NEVER trade them iron. That enables them to build Immortals, and they are serious threats and are effective until you can build Infantry! Build up swordsman and invade them, and make a dash for Chivalry. Overrun them with our sworsdmen and knights before the Persians become a major pain in your ass! Never trade a resource to anyone unless you absolutely have to to survive. Other than that, keep your resources and use them to your advantage.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old March 21, 2002, 20:42   #5
rpodos
Warlord

I think Whoha is saying that connecting to more than one iron is to be avoided.

Otherwise, I'm with nationalist... open a can of Swordsmen whoopass on those Persians. DON'T let them have iron, under any circumstances.

BTW, save your Bowmen for later, and trigger your GA when optimal.

R
Old March 21, 2002, 21:19   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 15:04
Why on earth would you even consider giving him either? If he is threatening you now then think what he'll do once he gets iron and horses. I guess we have different play styles but I almost always try to kill any other civs which start on my island. That way Î get all of the resources and living space for myself.
Old March 21, 2002, 21:28   #7
Changmai Beagle
Warlord

Location: Corporate Warlord of the Great White North & Warmer Climes
But then........
In my current game sharing a large island with the Chinese and Americans I did trade both horses and iron with both (being very well endowed ) and got all their money, technology and a bunch of workers.

A poor strategic decision?

Of course I was the Romans and had recently invested heavily in Legions - and I was most unfortunate in being unable to keep them from sacking these civilizations in the next turn or two.

Tsk, tsk. I'll just have to be more careful next time.
Old March 21, 2002, 21:36   #8
warmachine
Settler

Local Time: 22:04
Never trade strategic resources with immediate neighbours unless they're being attacked by a larger neighbour. Instead, trade it with their neighbours.

You're just jealous because the voices are only talking to me.
Old March 21, 2002, 21:48   #9
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:04
Quote:
Originally posted by warmachine
Never trade strategic resources with immediate neighbours unless they're being attacked by a larger neighbour. Instead, trade it with their neighbours.
The problem with that is, when you take your neighbor out, you'll be your neighbor's neighbor's neighbor.
Old March 21, 2002, 22:12   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
The problem with that is, when you take your neighbor out, you'll be your neighbor's neighbor's neighbor.
Of course but then the problem will be that much further away from your home cities and hopefully the game's awful corruption will prevent them from being to much of a threat.
Old March 21, 2002, 22:29   #11
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

trade horses, horde iron

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old March 21, 2002, 22:48   #12
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Of course but then the problem will be that much further away from your home cities and hopefully the game's awful corruption will prevent them from being to much of a threat.
In my philosophy of play, especially if I can get a great leader to help with the operation, the far side of an original neighbor's territory is usually a pretty good place for a forbidden palace. That makes the neighbor's neighbor's territory rather attractive when the time for farther expansion comes.

Nathan
Old March 21, 2002, 23:05   #13
Thrawn05
King

I wish I had your luck, MyOlde, if I had the world's monopoly of Iron AND horses, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd build up my military and crush them before any iron appears in thier territory.