Old February 4, 2001, 14:35   #1
JosefGiven
Warlord

Local Time: 00:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Music in Civ III
I dare say this subject has been discussed to death in other threads, but since I have been unable to find any links in Darkcloud's excellent Related Threads topic, I'm going to open the point again!

I have been listening to a lot of music recently, and some of it has made me wonder what YOU the splendid people of Apolyton would like to listen to whilst slaving over a hot empire.

Myself, I think everything the composer John Williams puts his hand to turns to gold...Remember the Imperial March theme from Star Wars, anyone? Not that the great man would lower himself to scripting tunes for a mere computer game, of course...or would he?(No.)

For the record, this is a purely whimsical thread. I know there are more important things to worry about than Civ III's music, but it can be important for atmosphere...Let's just see what gets written, eh?

------------------
Josef Given
josefgiven@hotmail.com
Old February 4, 2001, 21:53   #2
Krippled
Settler

Yes, I love the death march. And also the russian sounding music from original C&C. However, whatever the lovely selection they give us --- they should incorporate MP3 so we can play our own CD's or files...
Old February 4, 2001, 22:02   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 02:44
quote:

Originally posted by Krippled on 02-04-2001 08:53 PM
However, whatever the lovely selection they give us --- they should incorporate MP3 so we can play our own CD's or files...

Yeah!

(although you can still play MP3s while playing civ II it's better to have the option IN the game so you are sure nothing is going to crash your PC - hopefully

Old February 6, 2001, 16:19   #4
JosefGiven
Warlord

All the more reason to have Civ III as a Windows-based game, so's we can access our mp3 players, etc. Or any other utilities, for that matter.

Still, any more thoughts on musics befitting the epic grandeur of yer average game of Civ?
Old February 6, 2001, 18:57   #5
Krippled
Settler

Ok WARNING. I don't like windows that much - so I want it NOT looking like windows (civ2). As long as they can hide the fact that its in windows its ok. But I don't like it looking windowsy.
Old February 6, 2001, 21:11   #6
Gilgalad5
Settler

This is actually a major issue for me, since I loathe the music for Civ2 Gold Edition. Not only was it annoying, at least one of the tracks was taken from another game (Magic the Gathering, no less!)

Firaxis must invest at least a few minutes of thought this time on their music. I don't care what the results are, as long as there is some historical and cultural variety (but no "alien invasion" stuff is necessary!!).
Old February 6, 2001, 22:31   #7
-- but not Snapcase

I'd like a proper produced soundtrack with songs from top musical artist of the day. Like in a film. Barring that, possibly they could get Michael Land to do the music, he used to be Lucasarts property (All the classic Adventures' music was done by him, essentially) but now works in a freelance studio.

I think MP3 might be too processor-intensive for use with civ, but I wouldn't mind being able to play my own CDs during play (not that I will, I will switch off my computer sound and run the music through my HiFi.)