Old March 22, 2002, 15:41   #1
SultanofATL
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Fable
Chris rushed through the final copies of his last order for the day. He couldn't bare to be the last one today. Last week it seemed as if it took him almost an hour to get into the discussion and by then everyone was feeling the effects of the 40 hour show. The 40 hour show was the not-so-loving term Chris had pegged for the average man's job. In Chris's mind every job was like a show. You showed up, you showed what you could do, and your boss showed how they liked it. The latter was done in two ways. They either showed you the money, or they showed you the door. That was Chris's life in a nutshell. He broke everything about it down into little theories of relativity. As the last of the copies sorted he stapled each packet placing them hurriedly into the delivery bin for the Saturday morning crew. After grabbing his coat and clocking out he headed for the elevators determined to not meet a single soul that could delay his escape. As he raced through the hallway to the lobby doors he didn't look up and intentionally ignored any noise he may have heard. Just as he opened the lobby door he heard his name being paged over the intercom. Instinct told him to leave, but a since of duty prevailed so he turned and walked to the nearest courtesy phone in the break room.

"Chris, glad I caught you" sounded the cheerful voice on the phone. "I need a favor. I need someone to drop off a package for me. Normally I'd use a courier, but they seem to have all left for the day." Mentally Chris was kicking himself for not being as smart as the couriers. The voice continued "Its a rush and it must be there by 8 tonight. Its on my desk on the 24th floor. Instructions are attached. My secretary Denise should be able to assist you. Thanks." Click.... The nerve of this guy Chris steamed in his mind. What was he some sort of.......well whatever he was Chris didn't like it. Pushing the elevator for up now, Chris relegated his mind to the conclusion that he would have to miss this weeks session. Bing! As the elevator doors flew open Chris hopped aboard and pushed 24. Nothing happened. Chris pushed it again. This time the floor number lit up and the elevator doors shut, but the car began going down. Pondering how strange this was Chris was interrupted by the crackle of the elevator speaker. "Ummm, we're gonna need to have you sign in down here at the security desk before we can give you access to that floor Mr. Davis." Chris looked around soon finding the security camera in the left top corner at the rear of the car. He flashed the camera an OK symbol and waited to exit at the lobby floor. As the car settled at the lobby floor Chris slipped off and made his way to the security desk. "You needed me to sign some paper?" he questioned the Guard manning the desk. "Yeah...uh...sign right here by the x....how long are you gonna be up there?" the guard replied. While signing the log sheet Chris answered "about ten minutes or so". Looking over the signature as Chris handed back the log-in sheet the guard simply nodded and returned to watching his monitor. Chris jumped back on the elevator and noticed that 24 was already lit on the elevator's panel. The doors closed and he was on his way. It was the first time Chris had been to the Penthouse level of the JMK Properties building. Working in the copy room he didn't have much need to leave the 12th floor. All the copies were delivered via interoffice mail and he didn't know anyone who worked above the 15th floor. As the elevator made its way up Chris could feel a small tingle in his stomach from the rapid ascent. 19.20.21.22.23 the lcd floor display counted off until it finally flashed the 24. The doors slowly opened revealing a dimly lit lobby. Chris exited and took a moment to take it all in. It was a huge room with a high aching ceiling. The whole place looked to be carved out of chestnut wood framings. The floor had a superb shine that helped to illuminate the room with an unearthly glare from the dim lighting. Brass fixtures completed the decor and really added a level of sophistication to the room. As he made his way to the adjoining hall he could hear the sound of music. Entering the hall he noticed all the offices were dark except for the last one at the end. Chris thought to himself that must be the one. He quickly rushed down the hall towards the office. About two doors before he reached his destination he heard a women's voice coming from the office to his left. It was dark but he could make out the silhouette of a what appeared to be a very attractive woman. As he entered the door it was obvious she was on the phone. "Yeah, I know.....yeah...well as soon as this idiot from the copy room gets here I'll be on my way....yes. I will make it worth your wait..eh heh hmmm..." Chris held back a snicker. "Ms. are you Denise?" "Huh? Oh yes!....just a minute. (into the phone) ok the guy is here so I'll see you soon ok...bye. Chris? God it took you long enough. I swear I can't understand how you loafers keep a job around here. Well, come on lets get this over with so I can go home." "Sure" Chris couldn't help, but laugh inside thinking of all the comebacks he'd love to lob this lady's way. As she slid by him in the doorway Chris quickly forgave her rude behavior. The smell of her perfume turned his legs to rubber. And as she brushed against him in the dark he could tell that this was one stacked woman he was dealing with. He turned an followed her into the lit office and had is assumptions confirmed. She was stunning. About 5' 7, with honey colored skin, with long auburn hair. She had on a silk see through blouse that revealed a lace undergarment. Her eyes were the lightest touch of gold with a deep brown. Chris losing focus for a moment was snapped back by her angry tones "Hello...idiot! are you even listening to me? Look I know you probably aren't used to complicated thoughts beyond what button to push on your little copy machine, but you've got to do this correctly? Understand?" "Yeah....I'm sorry. Now what were you saying?" "I said this has to be delivered to the Office of Domestic Affairs by 8 tonight. Do you have a car?" "Yeah" "Good. Take it to the DA and hand deliver it to Vice Director Ibart Solben. Make sure he and he alone receives it." "Sure thing. Hey if you'd like since its late I'll walk you to your car." Denise squinted her eyes as if she was looking for something. "Ok, but don't try anything funny. And don't even think of asking for my number!" Chris grabbed the package from her hands and made a step aside so she could pass. As she did Chris could swear she blinked. He paid it no mind and followed her out the door. As they reached the elevator he reached for the down button. As he turned to make small talk with Denise he swore she blinked again. This time he was sure she blinked so he asked "Are you ok?" As Denise went to respond her whole image frizzed up and she disappeared. Chris scared as hell now looked around and was shocked to see the whole room now gone. It was just him in the midst of blackness. A voice sounded out "Sorry for the inconvenience. This game has ended. A spaceship launch to Alpha Centauri has been completed. Please stand by for a new game......loading complete. Have a nice day."

Chris felt a surge and now as he looked around he was outdoors. Underneath him was grass that spanned as far as he could see. To the right a huge mountain jetted into the sky. As he stood their peering into the sky a voice spoke to him "Lord Xerxes does this spot meet your approval for the construction of our great village Persepolise." Chris was confused. "Xerxes? My name is Chris buddy." The voice spoke again "You are Xerxes. Emperor of the Persian people. You have been chosen to lead your people. You have recently discovered the warrior code and masonry. Is this where you choose to settle?" Chris looked around and now he was surrounded by a many people wearing cloth. He could see they were tired from what appeared to be a long journey. He had compassion for the people. It seemed as if they were awaiting his decision. He cleared his throat and issued a weak "Yes". Just as he spoke the words Chris saw a man step forward with a knapsack. He kneeled dropping and then opening his knapsack. As if by magic everything was transformed before Chris. He now sat in the middle of a bustling village. Small stone houses and roads. Men, women, and children busy at work. The voice spoke to Chris again. "Xerxes what would you have your loyal subjects produce. A wall for their protection. A worker group to condition the land. A group of warrior or a spearman. What shall it be?" Chris looked around and pondered his decision. There was no one around for miles he was sure so why would they need a wall? But if someone did come they would need some sort of protection. "I think we need a group of spearmen." he spoke out to the voice. Immediately a group of men stepped forward. One spoke up "Lord, we will begin training to protect our people." "How long will that take?" pondered Chris. The men huddled together to come up with an answer. After a few minutes the men disbanded the huddle. The one who previously spoke now spoke again. "Sir we anticipate it taking us about 200 years." Chris couldn't believe his ears. "200 years?". The voice now spoke up and said "Xerxes that is the equivalent of ten turns. " At this Chris couldn't help, but smile. He turned to the men "by all means then. commence your training." "Thank you sir!" quipped the men as they ran off to train. Chris couldn't help, but wonder exactly what was going on he had to be dreaming.
To be continued...............

Last edited by SultanofATL; March 22, 2002 at 16:24.
Old March 22, 2002, 18:56   #2
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 18:06
Great beginning! Very well written!
I can't wait to see how/if you tie everything up at the end.
Old March 27, 2002, 17:58   #3
SultanofATL
Chieftain

The initial shock had long since worn off for Chris. He had accepted his fate and now prospered in his new world. His people the Persians were the strongest of the known world. The only other competition came from Russia and there Czarina Catherine and the Iroquois who were led by his friend Hiwatha. Together these three had purged the earth of the savage Zulu, Aztec, and German cultures that threatened the peace of the world. Now that they had no one to fear they each opened thier borders to one another and prospered in trade. Chris found it a joy to see that the world he for so long invisioned with his friends was actually capable. And to think he was a major player in the direction of the world....or so he thought.

From what the great voice had told him the year was approximately 900 AD. Chris had just finished a tour of Russia and was now traveling to the Salemonica to talk trade with Hiwatha. Salemonica was a beautiful city. The purple caps of the buildings shown magnificently against the red moutians that hid her from the coast. As his ship harbored Chris was greeted by Hiwatha flashing a great big smile. "Xerxes, my friend. Hiwatha greets you. I have stunning news. We have heard from the Babylonians. They are led by Hammurabi. He brings tidiings from the Eastern continent. He has offered to introduce us to the other cultures there. England, Rome, India, Japan, China, France, Greece and Egypt. Imagine the possibilities for trade my friend. We will become rich. And once we have built great armies from our trade we shall rule this New land together." Chris was amazed at his friends news. "Hiwatha this is truly amazing news, but I beg you to proceed with caution. We know nothing of these cultures or thier true intent. I think it would be wise if we are cautious in our early dealings." Hiwatha smiled again at his friend patting him on the back. "Fear not my friend. For Iroquois will allow no harm to befall our great friends the Persians just as we are sure they will not permit the same to us. Now join me for a great feast and let us smoke the pipe of peace and prosperity. Ha ha ha!".

For almost a half millenium Hiwatha's words rang true. The new world did provide a great boom to the Persian economy. Most importantly the new cultures were for the most part friendly, but Chris still felt a bit of unease with the progress of world relations between the old world and the new. Once the great voice had informed Chris that he had discovered Nationalism Chris had Persia enter into a Mutual Protection Pact with the Iroquois to solidify there bond to each other. And then just as Chris was prepared to drop his reservations the voice came to him one night. "Xerxes the Babylonians have attacked our brothers in Iroquois. Our mutual protection pact demands that we assist them." Chris rose from his chambers turning to his mirror on the wall. His reflection he now saw provided a poignant statement on the news. The old and the new worlds were at war...................

Thanks for the feed back Richelieu
Old April 3, 2002, 00:46   #4
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 08:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This is a great read and well written. I really enjoyed it. I didn't know where you were going with the start which have never read in another story before.
Old April 3, 2002, 14:05   #5
SultanofATL
Chieftain

Chapter II

"Ah, the Queen is beautiful is she not?" whispered the balding Egyptian to his companion. "Yes, quite breathtaking!" his companion replied. And so went most conversations in Egypt when the Queen graced her subjects with her godessly presence. Today was such a day and the Queen fresh from her lambs milk bath had a unearthly glow. She smiled politely to the masses as she rode through the streets in her gold and diamond crested chariot. It was a sight that men the world around in every nation longed to one day witness. As the chariot made its last turns and began its final run to the royal castle the people filled the streets behind, many of them running to keep up and catch one last view of the Queen....

Back in her castle Denise was now exhausted. As a little girl she had many times dreamt of this life. Endless wealth, servants that beckoned to her every call, a nation that not only fell under her rule, but adored her with no abandon. Many a morning she arose wondering if this dream might end as quickly as it began. The great voice kept assuring her that this was impossible unless her nation fell altogether. Because of this she made sure that her borders were sufficiently protected with the most skilled men of her military. Besides her nation was huge. In fact Egypt was the 3rd largest country in the world. Only Babylon and Rome proceeded her empires greatness. Things were definitely grand for this business school graduate, but recent events left her troubled....

The great voice had informed her that Babylon her western neighbor had gone to war with the Iroquois. She truly had no friend on either side, but both were worthy trading partners and a war would do nothing, but interfere with her peoples happiness. Not to mention that such conflicts had a history in the past of spilling out from its initial participants into the world's arena. But enough of her problems she thought to herself, she had guest to entertain....

Joan of Arc the ruler of France sounded almost hysterical in her letter. As Denise read it again now she couldn't help, but become a little excited herself. The letter began "Cleo.." why everyone insisted on calling her that tacky name she wasn't sure, but over time she'd grown accustomed to it. "Cleo, Hi how are things? Here in France not well. My poor people continue to starve daily. Our pitiful land is just not fertile enough to allow France to grow strong. Thank you for your assistance in protecting us from the ruthless Chinese. I am forever in your debt.." she sure was because at the rate she was paying on that debt the world would have come to an end before it was paid in full Denise quipped to herself. "I am forever in your debt. Anyway enough about me. I have come into contact with the Persians and their Prime Minister Xerxes. Cleo he is extremely handsome. Tall, well built, and a wonderful sense of humor. He is planning a trip to France in the fall of this year. I will of course bring him by to meet you before he leaves. Look forward to seeing you. Joan." It had seemed like ages to Denise since she first received this correspondence, but now their arrival was only a day away. No time to waste Denise thought to herself, everything must be perfect, just perfect.............

Thx Dnassman hope you continue to enjoy it.

Last edited by SultanofATL; April 3, 2002 at 14:12.
Old April 5, 2002, 07:17   #6
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 23:06
Original story
Please write more of this
Old June 11, 2002, 14:05   #7
SultanofATL
Chieftain

As Chris boarded the French Royal car he was filled with a sense of relief. France was a horrible place. Positioned at the foot of the new world it was carved out of the some the most uninhabitable land in the world. Jungles filled its most southern areas. Wetlands dominated the east. The north and west lay a mixture of plains and forest while a large desert dominated its core. The people were a mixture of the poor and desolate. At each stop he had been barraged by poor children begging for his spare change. It hurt Chris dearly to see these things. He remembered a passage from the bible he learned as a child "the poor will always be amongst you". It had proven true in his former and present world. Chris knew there wasn't much he could offer France to truly change its plight, but he didn't hesitate to offer what he could. He quickly provided Joan with much of Persia's more recent scientific discoveries and bought what little resources she had for premium prices returned some of his more precious items in trade. Still as the doors closed and the train began its trek to Egypt he felt as if maybe the only true salvation for this struggling culture would be for another to conquer it and relieve its people from their misery..........

Chris ran excitedly from window to window as the train continued on its way. He had never seen Egypt during his former life, but he found it hard to believe it could have been any more spectacular than this. The scenery was straight out of a National Geographic issue. The lands of Egypt were as fertile as he had seen to date. Every city had ample farm land surrounding its many cities. Wildlife was abundant and rivers flowed it seemed endlessly through the Egyptian heartland. Its people were equally impressive. The Egyptian men were huge and well adorned in their native garments. The women stately and beautiful. Chris thought too himself many a time that he'd seen the best Egypt had to offer only to be proven wrong as he passed another knockout. The food was a little spicy for his taste, but delicious none the less. With each compliment he paid to the Egyptian authorities that accompanied him, Joan's expression grew more displeased. Chris wished he could say something to her, but the truth was France seemed little more than a sandbox compared to the spectacle that was Egypt.

As the train began to slow Chris couldn't help, but be a little anxious. Awaiting direction from his Egyptian guides he could feel the rapid throb of his heart racing. Finally exiting the train the time had come. Following behind two very large security officers the visiting delegation made their way into the Palace of Cleopatra. "The rumors of its beauty were not untrue" Chris whispered to Joan as they traveled from room to room of the spacious abode. Finally they arrived at the throne room and were placed in an elevated standing area obviously reserved for dignitaries. The whole scene led Chris to envision that this must have been what it was like to go to the opera in his former life. Just then a hush fell over the whole room as a very old man walked to the center of the room. He recited a poem of sorts that spoke of the beauty of the world and at the end he announced the Queen. The chamber doors opened and Chris couldn't believe his eyes. It was Denise. At least he thought it was Denise, but she appeared even more lovely than he remembered. As she made her way to the throne he tiptoed to catch a view of the only evidence he needed to confirm whether this was Denise. Her identity was confirmed as he immediately recognized her perfectly round and firm behind. As she turned and sat on the throne the room erupted into a loud and long applause. Once this show of affection quieted the old man motioned for Chris and Joan to be escorted to him. He motioned them to follow him to the middle of the room and kneeled facing Denise as he spoke these words "My Queen I present the ruler of mighty Persia Xerxes accompanied by the ruler of our friends the French Joan of Arc." As Chris stepped forth with Joan to greet her Denise exclaimed a the sight of Chris "It is you!"......To be continued
Old June 11, 2002, 15:49   #8
spiky82
Settler

Local Time: 15:06
Alright!! So you ARE gonna finish this one...I was hoping that you would cuz this is one GOOD story!
Old June 11, 2002, 22:30   #9
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 08:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Finally, I was hoping you'd come back and finish this. Should be good. Hopefully hear some more.