Old March 23, 2002, 02:38   #1
rpodos
Warlord

Local Time: 17:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Multiplayer
I can't wait.

People are settling into their favorite civs...

Persia will rule.

Iroqouis will have a shot, as will Rome, depending on access to iron.

Greeks will survive, as Persia will attack other civs first.

The early UU civs, otherwise, will be priority targets.

Everyone else dies.

R

ps: Goodnight.
Old March 23, 2002, 09:27   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 23:07
I'd like to see how well the Persians do if they start right next to the Aztecs
Old March 23, 2002, 12:38   #3
rpodos
Warlord

Well, clearly the bad news for Persia is that any other civ with a pre-Iron UU is gonna come knocking. Knocking hard.

Can't wait.

R
Old March 24, 2002, 18:39   #4
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:07
Here's an interesting question: How will most of the multiplayer games be set up? I mean, will culturally linked starting locations be the norm? How will civs be selected (I can imagine a lot of players wanting to choose the Iroquois)? What type of maps will be preferred (Pangea seems like a natural choice)?

Dominae
Old March 24, 2002, 19:08   #5
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 23:07
Tiny maps will be most common, I predict. For one on one type games tiny map pangaea will be fairly common, but all settings could be used really (they were in civ2 MP, some people preferred flat one continent small maps, others medium map island maps, still others preferred small one continent mountain maps, and so on). I can see culturally linked starting positions turned off, as it makes it too predictable (say you pick Persia, and another player picks Babs as a gamble, he's guaranteed to lose because he'll be right next to you). Also that would mean two powerful early civs, Aztec and Iroquois, would always be near each other, which would probably mean one of them being taken out of the game early on.
Old March 24, 2002, 19:54   #6
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

The points being mentioned as to civ choice and possible eliminations are the some of the reasons MP wasn't released at the games debut. As civ3 stands now, it is not a reasonable game to play MP. To many variables which could combine to a point where a player has lost before the first turn is played. Imagine a Roman with no iron, a Iroquois with no horses. In fact, imagine any civ with no horses and no iron. I think only the Greeks may be able to survive to riflemen.

Until they can work out the system to make resources available within a reasonable distance from every start position, MP will not be playable. We are not like the AI and trade away our own destruction.
Old March 24, 2002, 21:51   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i play more with my friends than i do online (eg zone.com), so we'll be playing on large archipeligo maps for the most part
Old March 24, 2002, 21:51   #8
rpodos
Warlord

Good points.

Unless the resource issue is resolved, India ROCKS!!

R
Old March 26, 2002, 09:50   #9
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy
Imagine a Roman with no iron
Or any civ for that matter. If I can't seem to get Iron to go with my coal I just quit and start another game, since having no RR well into the modern age is horrible.