Old February 8, 2001, 21:11   #1
Trachmir

Nukes and EMP
I was just wondering what the rest of you thought about including an EMP effect (electro-magnetic pulse) to nukes.

For instance, the nuke could automatically destroy many of the more modern improvements (like anything that is extremely reliant upon computers or electronics) if they detonate at a city or nearby (perhaps the distance gives a % that these improvements would be destroyed)

A possible way to protect your cities is with a "Fiber-Optic Network" city improvement.

Additionaly, our own sun has the ability to do the exact same thing as an EMP... perhaps a new disaster?

Old February 8, 2001, 22:31   #2
New Yorker
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
like the EMP disaster, but not too sure on the rest of your ideas

-----------------------------------------
the New York subway is a way to meet people, but just not the greatest way
[This message has been edited by New Yorker (edited February 08, 2001).]
Old February 9, 2001, 12:24   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:45
The option to detonate a nuke in orbit to get an EMP pulse would be an interesting quirk of modern warfare. I do not think it should destroy improvements but could certainly deactivate the effects of research labs, public transport and other electronics based improvements for a couple of turns.
Old February 9, 2001, 16:12   #4
jdlessl
Warlord

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I should point out that converting to all-optical networks won't solve everything. You'll still have ordinary electronics somewhere, and unless they're shielded, they are massively vulnerable to an EMP.

--
Jared Lessl
Old February 11, 2001, 08:36   #5
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Yes, I think EMP's should be incorporated in the game.
Old February 12, 2001, 16:46   #6
JosefGiven
Warlord

I like the idea of the solar EMP disaster, but I don't think there is much point simulating the electro-magnetic side effects of a nuclear attack.

City improvements, including those that rely heavily upon electronic equipemnt, are more likely to be totally flattened by the primary heat and shockwaves of the initial blast, rather than be knocked out by the EMP effect.
Old February 12, 2001, 17:07   #7
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by JosefGiven on 02-12-2001 03:46 PM
City improvements, including those that rely heavily upon electronic equipemnt, are more likely to be totally flattened by the primary heat and shockwaves of the initial blast, rather than be knocked out by the EMP effect.

Exactly!!!

Old February 12, 2001, 18:32   #8
Chaos Warrior

I agree. There should be something like EMP in Civ3. It's just not as much fun without it

although we should always consider that too much realism is only bad for gameplay... !!!

Old February 13, 2001, 04:29   #9
Trachmir

I not talking about direct hits.... yes the city and improvements should be flattened, I'm talking about proximity bursts or air bursts (which could be an option for nukes)... that way you could cripple a city but not deystroy it.

Old February 13, 2001, 11:23   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

Yep, EMP is all about how to cripple your enemies without melting their cities into irradiated slag. A single orbital blast can knock out unprotected electronics for a vast distance without destroying any cities. It is also a good tactic for frying any orbiting communications satellites, early warning systems and defence platforms I believe.
Old February 13, 2001, 15:13   #11
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Detinate an EMP over a city and all Mech. Infantries and Armors in the area are now useless(at/def/move=0 for x rounds)

Of course you can't just use an EMP on all their cities, because that would cause a nuclear winter and/or destroy the world, you lose .
[This message has been edited by airdrik (edited February 13, 2001).]