View Poll Results: What is your favorite way of winning the game?
Space Race 16 31.37%
Diplomatic 4 7.84%
Espionage then Conquest 1 1.96%
Early Conquest 3 5.88%
Late Conquest 8 15.69%
Cultural 5 9.80%
Domination 4 7.84%
Cultural Domination 1 1.96%
Play until 2050 (Histographic) 3 5.88%
Backstabbing (i.e. Abusing ROP) 2 3.92%
I have my own startegy! 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 26, 2002, 13:28   #1
Borg Hunter
Settler

Local Time: 17:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Winning the game
How do you go about winning the game?
"Bypasses are roads that get people from Point A to Point B or vice-versa very quickly. People living in Point C, which is a point directly in between A and B, wonder what's so great about Point A that everyone from Point B wants to get there, and what's so great about Point B that everyone from Point A wants to get there. They just wish everyone would work out where the hell they want to be."
From the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (slightly edited)
Old March 26, 2002, 15:48   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:12
Any which way I can, though I'm not a backstabber (yet).

I leave all the victory options on. It can be embarrasing to find that because another civ has RoP agreements with others that it also has better relations. Better relations can lead to UN vote (doh!).... Oops -- I lost that one! And I learned to build the UN, but be quite discretionary about calling for a vote.
Old March 26, 2002, 16:25   #3
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 22:12
Well, Conquest for sure. Let me explain. I ALWAYS turn off the cultural vic and the Spacerace vic cuz the're to easy. The Domination vic is just an easy cnquest vic. The diplomacy won is stupid cuz all you have to do is suck up to the AI and you have a win. So that doesn't leave me with a lot of options. That's why I love conquest, if I dont succeed ( on a large map always) I go for the points at 2050 AD.

Basicly I like conquest best cuz it's the most difficult win and I always play on Monarch level so it's even harder.

Spec.
Old March 26, 2002, 16:50   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 18:12
SS or Domination. Actually, my own version of "domination." This requires that I have the largest, richest, most culturally accomplished and technologically advanced civilization on the planet. It also requires that I have local access to all strategic resources, and access to all luxury resouces. That last bit is often tough, because the AI typically wants an arm, a leg, two ribs, and my spleen for a luxury. Therefore, I usually want local control of 6 luxuries, and can then manage to trade for the rest at a somewhat acceptable rate. If I get to this point w/o winning via "domination" I build the SS.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 26, 2002, 23:47   #5
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 16:12
The most rewarding win is setting it up to make all the victories possible on the last turn. The hardest part is getting to a point where Conquest is at hand but still keeping an AI around to vote for you. The Cultural, Domination, and Spaceship victories are pretty easy to achieve in comparison.
Old March 27, 2002, 03:34   #6
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 22:12
Build and expand until I've had enough if this game and then finish it with a spaceship.

Sometimes I destroy every AI civ, except one city. Sometimes a few civs survive and I can't be bothered to destroy them (it would take too much strategic thinking, or too many units, or would risk a nuclear war).
Only rarely is it actually a space race. It might have been in my current game what with the aggressive Ai tech trading, but by destroying the Dutch I seem to have removed the engine from the unified AI tech machine.
I might actually have to start researching tech myself

Robert
Old March 27, 2002, 13:16   #7
Master Marcus
Prince

When I play average map+8 civs, which is a bit harder to play with v1.17f than larger maps ( unless for those early despotic warmongers who prefer smaller maps ), then I tend to make space race or diplo. When I play huge map+ 16 civs, where I don't want to spoil the lenghty pleasure of an extended expansion until the end, then I turn off space race and diplo for reaching retirement by 2050 or cultural winning. It's more rewarding in the scoring than a quick space race; the latter is more suited for average maps with my gameplay style.

I never wanted the domination or conquest victories because of the units overextended micromanagement required , you need to build lots of them on average+ maps - and organizing them in order to dominate 2/3 of a larger map requires twice the time to complete an already long game.
Old March 27, 2002, 20:06   #8
Locus
Chieftain

SS b/c by that point I am so bored and mad at myself for wasting time on this beta that I just want to get it over with. Then, damn myself, after a week or two, I start a new game with different tweaks trying to make it more fun. Addiction sucks.