Old May 4, 2002, 00:28   #61
Triped
Warlord

Local Time: 17:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The game looks impressive. I just hope the game doesn't have you manage water...I hated that and it doesn't add anything to the game.
Old May 4, 2002, 05:41   #62
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
The Gamespot Preview of SimCity 4:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/storie...63198-1,00.html
Amazing. Simply amazing.
Old May 4, 2002, 12:54   #63
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

http://members.shaw.ca/zach.j/sc4.html

A CGW preview.
Old May 4, 2002, 16:47   #64
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 00:14
Thx Eli
Old May 6, 2002, 23:31   #65
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Juggler

I used to divide my city into huge quarters (for industry, commerce etc.) not knowing that my city's residents will have to drive 3 hours to get to their job.
But the game isn't really about that. Making your town prosperous and wealthy can be hard in SimCity.
I used to do the same, and I was never too successfull... I began using some urban planning skills from geography and it was like a new game entirely.
Old May 22, 2002, 07:05   #66
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Here's the official site, brand new, just started today:

http://simcity.ea.com/simcity4

Haven't had time to read everything on the site yet...
Old May 22, 2002, 07:11   #67
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

There's a few new screenshots, and a video section (Not up yet though )...

One of the new screenshots shows the firemen in action:

Old May 22, 2002, 07:42   #68
Eli
Emperor

Amazing.
Old May 22, 2002, 07:44   #69
Eli
Emperor

mmmmm

Old May 22, 2002, 07:48   #70
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I like that menu system...looks great

Does anybody remember how much time it takes per month...or day in previous SC games? Just curous about this night/day thing!
Old May 22, 2002, 07:55   #71
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 22:14
Those look very very very sweet.

I had kinda gone off the idea of this game until I saw those screenies ... shallow, aren't I?

Thanks for posting them Eli.
Old May 22, 2002, 08:06   #72
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 23:14
Well if it looked almost the same and played almost the same there wouldn't be much point in buying it. Since I don't think many people want them to change how the game is played, except to add a host of fun new features and streamline some of the old ones the graphics have to be a strong selling point. Its the one thing most likely to capture people who won't be panting just because of the Sims plugin.
Old May 23, 2002, 17:24   #73
Colon™
Emperor

IGN.net has an article about SC4 at E3, but I don't think it features anything we haven't seen already. (article)
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old May 27, 2002, 13:38   #74
K.J.H.
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
As long as they give us the opportunity to play on a damn huge map, I'll be happy. (Even the 256x256 in SimCity 3000 was a little cramped for my tastes.)

That, and get rid of the damn Microwave plant. I laughed when I saw that the thing is available in 2020 and costs only 30,000 for 14,000 MW. And the "Microwave" disaster in SimCity 2000...

On the subject, bring back the "Monster" disaster and kill the UFOs. Somehow, I preferred the giant flying metal eye with legs to flying saucers.
I liked the Godzilla in the classic SimCity Game!
Old May 27, 2002, 13:45   #75
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 15:14
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Does anybody remember how much time it takes per month...or day in previous SC games? Just curous about this night/day thing!
There was no day/night in the original or in Sim City 2000. The time it took per month was a factor of what speed you set the game for. IIRC, a month could go by in less than a minute.
Old May 27, 2002, 13:50   #76
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Does there exist some E3 movies of the game? I have seen some at gamespot, but only avaliable to custumers!
Old May 27, 2002, 13:55   #77
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
There was no day/night in the original or in Sim City 2000. The time it took per month was a factor of what speed you set the game for. IIRC, a month could go by in less than a minute.
Yes, there was no day/night thing before, but they still had a time per day, at least in SC3k where you could see the exact date when holding your mouse above the time (As far as I remember). Sure it all depended on what speed it was set to, but there had to be a certain amount of time per day in the different speeds. Was it two seconds or was it ten seconds when playing with standard speed?
Old May 29, 2002, 13:50   #78
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I'm disappointed. The game looks like SC3000 with better graphics. There are so many improvements that could have been implemented after SC3000. I won't buy this game, but I will download a pirated version. If I were you, I wouldn't buy it either, EA will probably come out with a SC4k Unlimited like 2 months afterwards.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:33   #79
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I'm disappointed. The game looks like SC3000 with better graphics. There are so many improvements that could have been implemented after SC3000. I won't buy this game, but I will download a pirated version. If I were you, I wouldn't buy it either, EA will probably come out with a SC4k Unlimited like 2 months afterwards.
Did you actually READ what has been written about the game. I guess not, otherwise you would know there has been made a lot of new changes to the gameplay..!

Of course the game looks like SC3k with better graphics, what did you expect, it to look like, a Sci-fi game??? You can't see gameplay on screenshots..!
Old June 6, 2002, 23:18   #80
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

**bump**

Anyone heard any new information? I haven't.
Old June 7, 2002, 06:57   #81
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Not really, I have been visiting the official site almost every day, just to hope they someday might change the picture in the video section, to something that doesn't say "Comming soon"
Old June 7, 2002, 07:45   #82
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Some of the complaints I have are basic ones.

1. The lack of realistic roads. One lane roads for an entire city.... GET REAL..... the two lane roads didn't do anything and were a joke.

2. Parking management. I want parking in dense areas to be a problem that needs to be solved. Building parking lots, structures is what I want.

3. I want it to be easier to build farms.

4. I want development to be more permanent. If you get a large skyscraper, I don't want to see it suddenly change to an abandoned building just because I zoned too much commercial land.

If you notice, ADG, I said the game looks like SC3k with better graphics. My assumption is that the amount of improvement between Simcity --> SC2k --> SC3K will be an indicator of how much the game has improved. In fact, I have read most of the previews, and I am not impressed.
Old June 7, 2002, 08:18   #83
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
4. I want development to be more permanent. If you get a large skyscraper, I don't want to see it suddenly change to an abandoned building just because I zoned too much commercial land.

If you notice, ADG, I said the game looks like SC3k with better graphics. My assumption is that the amount of improvement between Simcity --> SC2k --> SC3K will be an indicator of how much the game has improved. In fact, I have read most of the previews, and I am not impressed.
If you have read the previews, then you would have noticed they mentioned something about your point 4. I don't remember the words they used (and is to tired to go find it), but it was something about smarter buildings and such...
Old June 7, 2002, 09:29   #84
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

from the first post:
Quote:
The look, activity, and "feel" of a particular neighborhood is determined largely by demographics.

The amount of services available in a certain area (health care, education, etc.) will influence which economic class will live in that area.

"Props": Wealthy neighborhoods will have giant estarts with large swimming pools and nice landscaping, less wealthy areas will have trailer parks and lawn flamingos.

The above can applies to commercial areas also.
i tihnk what ADG meant is somewhere in there....
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old June 7, 2002, 09:55   #85
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

That might be it...
Old June 7, 2002, 10:45   #86
Grumbold
Emperor

They aren't going to change too much because the "classic" formula proved successful in attracting casual and serious gamers. Some complexity will be returning that disappeared in S3K, like variable taxation, but essentially they wwant to keep it simple enough for everyone to have fun playing. Better graphics, some S2K rules returning, building on slopes, more varied tile sets and night/day cycles is enough to get my money. Those keen on the Sims hooks will haveeven more to enjoy.
Old June 7, 2002, 13:06   #87
MBD
Chieftain

SC3K was very much like SC2. I think it's about time they tried something at least a little "radical" with the formula.

I wonder if they ought to make it possible to zone for building height as well as density, at least for commercial buildings. In a major urban area, if you restrict building heights, it might have the effect of forcing land values higher in nearby areas as the demand for space exceeds the available space in the restricted area.

Also, in SC3K, there was no direct way to see exactly how much excess power or water you have, which often made accepting requests for power or water from other towns too risky.
Old June 8, 2002, 14:12   #88
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MBD
Also, in SC3K, there was no direct way to see exactly how much excess power or water you have, which often made accepting requests for power or water from other towns too risky.
Yeah, hope they change it to something more easy to understand, cuz I ALWAYS got fined a month later, when trying to sell a little of my excess water
Old June 12, 2002, 07:39   #89
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

On the official site there's now a video to download. The video looks damn cool and funny, though it doesn't show anything about gameplay, but it's worth a look
Old June 12, 2002, 08:08   #90
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Crap movie.

I absolutely hate it when they throw up some lame-ass movie that has nothing at all to do with the game, 'course I shouldn't expect more from EA and Maxis.

Do It Ourselves