Old May 25, 2002, 13:40   #61
Marko
Prince

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
CHAPTER XLIII
CAN WE FIGHT WITH LUCIFERS LIKE WE DID WITH WOLVES?
Isis 68 - Re 68

In Isis 68 more bad news arrived to Babylon. Another Lucifer came from Northern mountains and cities of Sardis, Pilona and Jubriga were under attack. All garrisons in these cities were destroyed and messengers from Sidon told that the city is under strong attack by Stygian Ghost Riders.

"We must find the breeding place of these monsters and occupy it" thought Murabi. "Just like we did with the war wolves ten years ago."
He ordered to send an expedition to Northern mountains with this task. Units for the expedition must be provided by coastal army who has big reserves in Borazjan.

The next month brought even worse news. Many more Lucifers appeared. They were everywhere in eastern part of the Empire. Also more Ghost Riders descended from mountains. Sidon and Hamadan were occupied, several other cities in danger. Great cities Akkad and Ur were emptied. Northern army lost some units near Istakhr, and forward units of The Expedition were killed.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	23isis68.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	16169  
Old May 27, 2002, 14:05   #62
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER XLIV
THERE MUST BE A SOLUTION!
Re 68 - Anubis 68

The Murabi's Empire was falling apart.

"This is the biggest crise in our history. And it happens just in the year when I plan to celebrate my 15th years of rule!" he thought. "There must be a solution! All earlier crises have been solved. We have to defend our cities against these Ghost Riders until the expedition finds and occupies the monsters breeding places. Also maybe Marsutan will find some new weapon against the Stygians. When Marsutan returns?" asked the Emperor.

"By my estimation not before 5 months." answered Menua.

"Then we are on our own. I give you two weeks for working out our strategy in this situation" said Emperor to Plengor and Menua.

In Anubis 68 Tyre and Jinjan fell to Stygians. The warship what was going to Istakhr was sunk too. These were the latest news when the new war strategy was discussed in Emperor's palace.
Old May 28, 2002, 10:48   #63
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER XLV
DEFENCE LINE
Anubis 68

"We don't have much hope" said Plengor "The Lucifers wipe out our armies with ease. Fortunately they don't capture cities, this task is left for Ghost Riders. The later ones are strong but beatable.
The Ghost Riders attack from north. We have alrady lost all our northern cities except Sardis and Borazjan. Sardis is doomed to fall, Borazjan maybe not.

Our main task is to defend Akkad and Ur against Ghost Riders. City garrisons will be destroyed immediately, so we have to protect roads to cities. Sometimes happen that Lucifers don't attack units just outside cities and this is our only hope" finished Plengor.

"If our defences fail then we have to seek refuge" added Menua. "I see only two possibilities. The first is Nimrud what is our best defended city. Maybe we can hold it. The second way is evacuating to some island where Stygian land units can't come. The best candidate is our Quinsay colony. But it is very far and there is danger that Stygians sink our ships during the travel. In my opinion we have to evacuate at first to some nearby island, for example to Kephesori island east of Ergili. Later we can move to Quinsay."

"How is the situation with our navy?" asked emperor.

"Eastern Fleet is destroyed except the warship what was sent to Marsutan's quest. Perhaps it is sunk too. Western Fleet has 3 warships, two of them are heavily damaged by demons" answered Menua.

"I am very worried about the Stygian war wolves" said emperor. Lucifers are killing our spearmen who guard their breeding places. When the guards are destroyed, wolves can appear again and move to our defenceless cities. I can't see any good solution against this threat."

It was decided that as the Northern army is isolated in Istakhr, the Coastal army will provide units for defending Akkad and Ur. The Expedition will try to move around Hamadan by north-west and then proceed into the Dragon Mountains. The Tempest Spell will be moved from Samarra to Nimrud. Also a warship will transport settlers to Kephesori island and establish a colony there.
Old May 30, 2002, 11:46   #64
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER XLVI
CHAOS
Nephthys 68 - Horus 68

In Nephthys 68 city of Sardis fell to Stygians and Uruk and Borazjan were emptied by growing number of Lucifers. Northern army was completely destroyed in Istakhr but the commander of army, Mehmet, was reported to be still alive and organising defence of the city.

As Lucifers were so close to Babylon now, disorder and panics broke out in the city. Murabi decided to move to Ergili province because it was the safest place in Empire at the moment. Menua went to the Fortress of Nimrud. Only Plengor stayed in Babylon with his military headquarters.

Next month two Lucifers attacked Babylon. The city garrison were wiped out and Plengor survived from death only thank to his good luck. Nimrud was also under attack and lost several units. As emperor had foreseen, wolves descended from unguarded mountains and captured Nineveh. Stygians made a descent with Hell Fire units south of Ellipi. The descent was destroyed by Coastal army with only a great difficulty.

The Empire of Euphrattis was falling into chaos.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	24nephthys68.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	16483  
Old June 2, 2002, 14:08   #65
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER XLVII
THE SEER OF ILLBAB
Osiris 68

In Osiris 68 Stygian Ghost Riders broke through the weak defence line and captured Ur. Also Ergili province was the first time under Lucifer attack. Only the capital of province, Ergil, escaped from destruction. Fortress-city Larsa was captured by Stygian descent.

The same month last remnants of once powerful Northern army were destroyed and Istakhr fell to Ghost Riders. Army commander Mehmet didn't escape this time and was killed in the city.

But there were good news too. Wizard Marsutan arrived to Borazjan and was transported to Nimrud with warship. As Emperor was in Ergili, the wizard met with Menua and Plengor.

He told that in Amon 69 his warship reached to the Sea of Illusion. In the island middle of the sea Marsutan met The Seer of Illbab. The Seer granted him the secret of True Faith and taught the Spell of Conflagration. "Do not squander this gift. It may only be used once" said the Seer. He also advised to learn the secret of Holy War from the Khan of Xingchang.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ex9amon69.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	16643  
Old June 7, 2002, 11:57   #66
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER XLVIII
MARSUTAN'S STORY CONTINUES:
TREK OVER MOUNTAINS

When Marsutan returned from the island, the warship's captain warned "There's a storm brewing, sire. And it doesn't look natural." Soon the storm attacked and damaged the ship. Marsutan decided to go back to Euphrattis by walk directly over mountains. He took one infantry unit with him and sent the ship with second infantry back by sea.

In Anubis 68 travellers were closing to Hamadan when they met with war refugees from the city. Refugees told that terrible creature Lucifer had appeared along with Stygian Ghost Riders and Hamadan had fallen to enemy. Hearing this Marsutan decided to go to Borazjan.

Next month Marsutan met with the expedition sent to search for Lucifers breeding place. He heard all the latest news about Stygian assault against the Empire. The Wizard sent his heroic infantry unit with expedition and went himself to Borazjan with the Conflagration Spell.
Old June 7, 2002, 17:08   #67
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 18:15
It's looking bad... think you can pull out?
Old June 7, 2002, 21:00   #68
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do you have the scn converted for ToT? I tried using civ converter on it, but it crashes... Could you send it to me?
The game looks fun, even though you are in bad shape it seems.
Old June 8, 2002, 14:52   #69
Marko
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
It's looking bad... think you can pull out?
Not very likely..
I am trying to play as realistic way as possible. It means that the sultan has no god-like control over his empire, cities far from center are almost independent etc. It is quite restrictive but very fun.

Marsutan still has some tricks

Quote:
Do you have the scn converted for ToT? I tried using civ converter on it, but it crashes... Could you send it to me?
Yes I converted it. I can send the files, but maybe Techumseh like to make a special ToT edition of the scenario. 18 new units etc you know

Last edited by Marko; June 8, 2002 at 15:13.
Old June 8, 2002, 15:15   #70
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER XLIX
THE SECRET OF HOLY WAR
Osiris 68

"What to do now?" asked Plengor from wizard Marsutan "All our defence plans have failed and we are virtually helpless against Stygians."

"I can advice many things" answered Marsutan. "But I don't know how to destroy Stygians or how much hope we still have. The Quest is still uncompleted.
The first thing what you need to do is to get the secret of Holy War from the Khan of Xingchang. Then I'll teach to your priests a new powerful spell which I learned in mountains. This spell is able to twist the minds of Stygians. So we can get some of their units under our control. If we'll manage to take control over a Lucifer then we have a chance to survive."

Plengor ordered diplomats to immediately take contact with Xingchangians. Xingchiangian emissary told that they were under heavy attack by Stygians too. Already one-third of their cities were lost. But Xingchangians refused to give the secret of Holy War, even after they got a gift of 500 gold. At last, when Plengor was going to give up any hope to get the secret, Xingchangians agreed to trade the Holy War for Heroic Arms and a treaty of military alliance.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	25osiris68.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	17065  
Old June 10, 2002, 15:12   #71
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER L
THE DEATH OF MARSUTAN
Hathor 68

In Hathor 68 Akkad fell to Ghost Riders and Lucifers attacked two last cities - Ergili and Ashur - which had stayed intact until now. Murabi and Nebut were hiding in underground tunnels below the city during the assault. Murabi ordered that all cities in Empire must build such underground shelters against Stygians.

Fortress of Nimrud was second time under Lucifers fire. Enemy was forced to retreat again but this time with high cost. Wizard Marsutan was killed during the battle alongside the last warship.

His last words to Menua and Plengor were: "You must discover the secret of Divine Intervention. Then it will be revealed to you how to win Stygians. New wonder.. archangels.."

In the same month Euphrattis' priests made counteroffensive using the Marsutan's Spell. Results were spectacular! The Spell twisted the minds of Stygian units in Larsa and Nineveh. These cities were liberated and enemy units inside taken under the control of the priests including Stygian Lucifer in Larsa. Capturing the Lucifer was a major victory.
Old June 16, 2002, 08:51   #72
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER LI
A NEW HOPE
Hathor 68 - Seth 68

Murabi saw that there is still hope to save his empire. And as the Ergili province was now also under attack, he travelled back to north and came to the Nimrud Fortress. He thought: "I must be in the center of events. During last months when I have been away, Plengor and Menua have ruled the empire. The only thing what hold them back from overthrowing me is that they don't trust each other. But it is only a question of time if I remain in Ergili."
The Lucifer, controlled by priests, came also to Nimrud sinking a Stygian Dragon Boat on his way.

"Ur and Akkad have fell and all our cities are in danger" said Emperor to Plengor and Menua. "But thank to Marsutan's Spell we have new hope. We have one Lucifer and have ability to get more under our control. We need a new war strategy in this situation. Which are your proposals?"

"Marsutan's Spell works best against small cities" said Plengor. "We must build new settlements around our big cities and use them as buffers against enemy offensives. Our Lucifer will destroy Stygian Ghost Riders, wolves and ships and also protect the fortress."

Emperor agreed with Plengor's plan and Lucifer was sent out. He killed many Ghost Riders and then returned to Nimrud.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	26seth68.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	17515  
Old June 16, 2002, 22:59   #73
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
"You can't beat a man who doesn't know when he's beat!" - unknown

Good luck, Marko!
Old June 17, 2002, 02:47   #74
LDiCesare
Emperor

Hey, Techumseh, do you have any idea of a ToT version of this scenario?
Marko, indeed, you have courage to continue at this point. It looks like you are in a desperate situation. How many more Lucifers does the enemy have?
Old July 4, 2002, 13:41   #75
Marko
Prince

I haven't had much time to play the game lately but now I try to finish it and complete the story.

There seem to appear many more Lucifers every month and my only chance is to get some lucky bribe.
Old July 4, 2002, 13:43   #76
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER LII
THE FALL OF BABYLON
Thoth 68 - Isis 67

In Thoth 68 three Lucifers attacked Nimrud. They all were beaten but the defending Lucifer was almost mortally wounded. Stygian Ghost Riders captured Uruk.

Many new buffer villages were built around the Empire. In Nimrud there were small celebrations for Murabi's 15th years rule. Next month the twisted Lucifer was killed in Nimrud. Also Eridu, Nineveh, Pilona and Larsa fell to the enemy, followed soon by Jubriga and Athribis.

For a short time Euphrattis priests managed to liberate Eridu and get half a dozen flying demons and a ghost rider under their control. But they all were soon killed by Stygian Lucifers.

And in Isis 67 Borazjan, Samarra and Babylon fell. Any organised resistance ceased.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	27isis67.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	18779  
Old July 5, 2002, 09:17   #77
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER LIII
THE FORTRESS OF NIMRUD
Isis 67 - Re 67

Emperor looked the destruction around him with growing horror. With only a one year his powerful empire has fallen to ruins. Everywhere are wolves and Ghost Riders, demons are flying over burning cities, Lucifers move around destroying all on their way.

Had he ever could foresee this! He would have prepared much better. Now all the hope was waning quickly. Their defence plans were failed one after another because of the unexpectedly fast Stygian advances. Now Babylon has fallen and Stygians threaten to capture Nimrud. Maybe to leave back to Ergili? Ergili province is still the safest place in the Empire. But no! If Nimrud falls then there will be no hope left. Fortress of Nimrud is the only place what they have chance to defend if priests manage to capture more Lucifers. Plengor and Menua understand this too and they are staying here.

In Re 67 Stygians took Amaia, Ashur and Eridu. Amaia was captured by Ghost Legions which were not seen before. Nimrud was now isolated from rest of the Empire. Euphrattis political elite, who were hiding in the fortress, lost any contact with the outer world. There was no escape route left. They had to defend the fortress or die.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	28anubis67.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	18818  
Old July 5, 2002, 09:30   #78
Cyrion
King

Hi Marko,

I still enjoy your story as much as I did before!! Only shame is that you seem doomed...

Maybe bribing back a city you lost could offer you a few lucifers just rehomed to it ? Worth trying...
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old July 11, 2002, 14:26   #79
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER LIV
END OF THE REIGN
Anubis 67 - Horus 67

In Anubis 67 wise men told to emperor that they had discovered the secret of Divine Intervention. They know now how to design powerful flying Archangels and build a new wonder called Divine Transformation.

"So, this is the road what Vladimir and Marsutan meant we have to go" thought Murabi. "But it is too late now. We have no strenght left. The Stygians have won and the World will be covered with darkness. Only thing what we can do now is to die honorably."

Two months later Ghost Riders broke through weak defences and invaded to the peninsula. Nimrud was captured and nobody in the fortress escaped alive. So ended the rule of Murabi, who was at first sultan and later emperor of Euphrattis.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	29horus67.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	19325  
Old July 11, 2002, 18:14   #80
techumseh
Emperor

An heroic, but tragic tale. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for using 'Prince of Darkness'. You soldiered on far longer than I could have. BTW, what happened to the Spell of Conflagration?
Old July 11, 2002, 18:20   #81
techumseh
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LDiCesare
Hey, Techumseh, do you have any idea of a ToT version of this scenario?
Sorry LDC, I missed this post somehow. I did a conversion, the same as Marko, but it's not posted. A made for ToT version would have several advantages, not the least of which is underground levels. But, no, I have no plans at the moment.
Old July 11, 2002, 18:20   #82
LDiCesare
Emperor

Murabi was brave, and his feats and miseries particularly enjoyable. I repeat my plea for a ToT version of this scenario. I would like to play it, but I have been unable to "translate" it (the resulting scn crashes Civ when I start). Techumseh, do you have such a version? Or Marko, could you send me the version you used?
Old July 12, 2002, 12:55   #83
Marko
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh
BTW, what happened to the Spell of Conflagration?
It was destroyed by Stygians. Marsutan came with the spell to Borazjan and then a warship brought him to the Nimrud Fortress. But the spell was left behind because it could end its turn on warship but the ship can't carry it (the 'ringbearer' effect).

Quote:
Or Marko, could you send me the version you used?
Give me your e-mail address.
Old July 13, 2002, 03:18   #84
LDiCesare
Emperor

Can you send it to laurent.di.cesare@freesbee.fr ?
Thanks in advance. I will tell you how it works for me, though not in as much detail as you did.
Old July 13, 2002, 09:31   #85
Marko
Prince

Quote:
I would like to play it, but I have been unable to "translate" it (the resulting scn crashes Civ when I start).
Quick question: have you installed Patch 1.1 of the ToT? Without this upgrade converted scenarios will crash. This can be the reason why you can't get it work.

And the final chapter:
Old July 13, 2002, 09:32   #86
Marko
Prince

CHAPTER LV
EPILOGUE
Horus 67 - Re 66

After the fall of Nimrud in Horus 67, Ergili province still continued the fight. The governor of province, Nebut, had made several unsuccessful attempts to liberate Athribis from Stygians. It was reported that many Lucifers had stopped in this city making it very important target. But all priests, who were sent out, were killed before they could reach to Athribis.

By Hathor 67 it was clear that Murabi together with Plengor and Menua had been killed by Stygians. So Nebut decided to declare himself a new sultan. He had no illusions about the future of his sultanate but he decided to take last from the life. So, the inauguration party in Ergili was as great as was possible in underground tunnels below the city.

Three months later the sultan had to move to Dariush Kabir as Ergili fell to Ghost Riders. He narrowly managed to avoid Lucifers surrounding the city. The Ghost Riders followed him closely and sultan had to escape to trading ship which came from Larsa. Nebut ordered the captain to take course to Quinsay colony. The colony was in island and there was hope that Stygians hadn't captured it yet.

The ship didn't reach far. Near the Brimstone island a Lucifer attacked and sank it. The last ruler of Euphrattis had died. Two months later, in Re 66, the brave defenders of Larsa were finally overrun and all the country was now under Stygian rule.

THE END
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	31sobek67.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	19442  
Old July 13, 2002, 15:35   #87
LDiCesare
Emperor

I have the patch and managed to convert several scenarios, but not this one. Your story was really good, so bad it ends so sadly.
Old July 15, 2002, 10:09   #88
LDiCesare
Emperor

Thanks to Marko, I managed to play the scenario. Wow! It is great. I thought Marko put lots of fancy stuff in his stories, and Menua and Plengor are cool indeed, but the scenario itself is really a very strong base for a good story. I managed to play one almost nonstop since yesterday (and abandonned in Ptah 70, when my cities were all empty, Marsutan waiting desperately for a ship the good side from the isthmus to carry the spell of deflagration, although I had bribed 2 Lucifers in a city). The scenario is great, although most techs are useless and I never understoof why I was proposed to trade Spell of Obediance and couldn't get it. Not that I know what it would have done. I think it could be even better in ToT, as you could use a second map to be hell. Play on earth, have a single Stygian city on earth to start with but allow teleportation of units from hell through citiy improvements... Techumseh, what do you think of that idea?
I attach a log that I wrote during the game. It is far from Marko's story in quality, but tells of what I did. I don't know whether I will retry on Prince or on King (Prince! I usually play Deity!)
Attached Files:
File Type: txt log.txt (21.3 KB, 9 views)
Old July 16, 2002, 12:29   #89
Marko
Prince

Your log is very fun to read!
Old July 16, 2002, 13:52   #90
techumseh
Emperor

Yes it is! BTW, what level were you playing on? Since you were apparently able to defend the Great Library at Tugalette, the Stygians didn't get Summoning via that short cut. So their tech rate must have been pretty high.

This is from the scenario readme:
Quote:
Do NOT play at Deity level. The Stygians rate of technological advance is simply too great at that level. They will discover Summoning before it is physicaly possible to complete the various tasks making up the quest. I don't know if it is even possible to win at Emperor level. I recommend Prince, or King if you want a real challenge.
I've certainly considered a ToT version. The extra scenario tools could greatly increase the variety and complexity of the quest. Using FOUR maps would allow 3D underground mazes to be built into various parts of the quest.

I have other stuff on my plate right now, plus a sizable queue of unfinished ToT scenarios. But if you wanted to take on such a project, I'd be happy to be an advisor. Perhaps Marko might also be interested?