Old March 29, 2002, 09:06   #31
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 18:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Re: Re: Re: random numbers and other crap
Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
And the hoplite steps to the side evading the tank.
Of course, any real success will depend on mistakes made by the tank. But mistakes do happen, especially in wartime. Soldiers may be scared, hungry, angry at their superiors, disorganized, unsupplied, unruly, home-sick, etc.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:27   #32
lorddread
Warlord

Local Time: 16:15
50 cal + Tank + hoplite = shake and stir
Back to the original idea posted here... My complaint was the enemy (the Persians I think) sent wave after wave of warriors (flint axes remember) against a tank column (8 tanks). While I agree that riflemen and infantry (especially( have the ability to take out tanks, pre-ironage and ancient soldiers do not. What you have to think about is if the warrior was carrying a molatof cocktail, he would most likely be carrying a gun also and that would make no longer a warrior.

Frixaxis needs to supply a patch that makes the AI and the player upgrade their military every time that player advances an age. This would bring more realism to the game.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:33   #33
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 17:15
Everyone seems to complain when a warrior defeats their tank.

What if it was YOUR warrior that defeated a wave of tanks?

I wonder how many would be complaining.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:54   #34
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Here's the scenario for you. Tank company commander sees Grog and friends running before him. With visions of glory and mashed cavemen flashing before his eyes, the tank company pursues Grog into rough terrain. Grog and friends are of course proficient hunters of the wooly mammoth and have built large covered pits into which said tank company falls. The company commander radios for help believing himself to be safe so long as he remains buttoned up in his tank. Unfortunately, Grog and friends have discovered fire and proceed to cook said tank company in the can.

In combat, $hit happens.

This is not to say that I believe this should occur as many times as it seems to do in CIV3 (of course if we could see grog roasting the tank company it might be acceptable).

I wonder if part of the reason for the lack of unit upgrades by the AI is due to its lack of funds. In my games, I often observe that by the time I have thousands of gold that the AI civs only have a paltry amount.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:56   #35
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 14:15
My biggest gripe with the tank is somthing that is historicaly accurate-- they seem to only be effective against troops in the open field. If I try to take them into a city, they will get shellacked by an infantry unit, and only be even against riflemen. Having said that, I have never, _ever_ had a tank die against a spearman...

Remember the World Trade Center
Old April 7, 2002, 03:54   #36
rcoutme
Settler

When I play CivII or CivIII I assume the situation is similar to Somalia or Afghanistan. The weaker units (warriors, spearment, et. al.) have acquired some modern weapons from arms dealers. They are not terribly efficient with them, but they have some. This means that a poor general may very well lose some troops due to his stupidity and belief in his invulnerability!