Old March 27, 2002, 18:52   #1
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 15:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How do I get more than peace treaty for ending war?
I wanted to end a war "early" by having the Romans give me a specified city. However only option I found was exchange of peace for peace. Actually, asked them what they would offer for peace.

Question: Is there some way to say "if you losing civilation will give me item X along with peace, then I will agree and stop the war." ?

Thanks for the ideas.
Old March 27, 2002, 18:59   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
If you go into negotiations during war and offer a peace treaty, you should be able to add whatever terms you want to the deal after the treaty is on the table. (cities, techs, gold, etc.) Depending on how well you've done they may refuse to give anything or give you everything they've got left.
Old March 27, 2002, 19:02   #3
planetfall
Prince

That is what I expected but the only option on the left side was "peace treaty", everything else was either absent or dimmed.
Old March 27, 2002, 19:25   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
IIRC, when you first go into negotiations, the only option you have is for a peace treaty, and once you put that on the table you have access to all the other options. I know that it's possible to do this as I've been able to get several techs from a civ I've defeated in a war.
Old March 28, 2002, 10:40   #5
planetfall
Prince

Ok, thanks. I will try that with the next mini war.
Old March 28, 2002, 15:22   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 23:15
I have seen countless questions on these forums about this. It is unintuitive, but don't pick the option to force peace by threatening them with the fact that your units approach their cities. Use the other option about you being overstretched. If the war is going well for you it comes up with a peace treaty bargain, which you can refuse and submit a counter-offer.
Old March 28, 2002, 15:27   #7
planetfall
Prince

Thank you for the warning. Next campaign will be short, just to consolidate land and put hiccup in Iroquis growth spurt.
Old March 28, 2002, 22:30   #8
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 17:15
I don't bother w/ either of those two options on the initial screen. Just go to negotiations. Try lots of stuff. You get mo' money if you negotiate by turn. Use right click on your mouse when haggling. Makes finding the right price quicker. If you are ruthless, though, take lump sums, and anything else you can bully out of 'em, then pound them again. Great way to catch up in the tech race

i like ibble blibble
Old March 29, 2002, 09:45   #9
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 18:15
Sometimes, they will give you all their cities for peace. My enemy in this game gave me several cities leaving just his capital on a frozen penisula.

He spent the rest of the game in his "capital" under guard. But we lived up to our agreement and let him live.