Old March 27, 2002, 20:40   #1
brendan.hewitt
Settler

Local Time: 08:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help Please !!!
Godd day to all

I have been a civ fan since civ2. since then i have spent many long hours in front of a screen playin,FW, ToT, Ctp, Ctp2, SMAC, and the oriinal Civ. Now comes Civ 3 ----- a long awaited game (for me anyway). I haven't purchaced it yet, because lots of the reviews are not recomending it. Is there anyone out there who would tell me whether or not Civ 3 witt be a "Wow! look at this!" game for me being a fan of all other civ's, my favorite being Ctp2

Also, if I do get civ3, is there some wayto use all of those kick-ass scenarios and mods that poeple have spent long hours creating? This would be a great selling point for me.
Thanks a heap
Civ freak
Old March 27, 2002, 20:47   #2
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If you have not purchased it yet, I recommend waiting a few more months until the expansion (if it is ever relased) comes out. Civ3 is a decent game, but you'll be dissappointed if you truly enjoy playing the kinds of scenarios that you could with the other civ games. Civ3 has no scenario capibility as you know it, but relies on a limited 'editor' that has problems adding new units among other things. And no, you are unable to carry over scenarios from other civ games.

Overall, is Civ3 worth getting? Sure, by itself it's pretty good. BUt if you want to play the kind of scenarios and such you enjoyed from Civ2 and CtP(1 & 2), you may be dissappointed as I was. My suggestion is to wait until an epxansion is released in the same league as Fantastic Worlds and Test of TIme, which make scenarios and such easier and more availible.
Old March 27, 2002, 20:55   #3
Tuberski

Local Time: 17:16
I agree 100%, the game is fun, but it also seems to lack quite a bit. Our expectations were pretty high and they haven't delivered.....yet. An expansion with a lot of improvements will really help.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 27, 2002, 22:14   #4
Rotten999
Warlord

Local Time: 16:16
Wait for the expansion? Than you'd have to lug two boxes back from the store!

Seriously, if you liked all those abbreviations you listed (I understood maybe a third of them ) you'll probably like Civ3. It's not "perfect," it's not the silver bullet that will save turn-based strategy, but it is a fun play, and some of the new features really work well (borders, finally!). On the other hand, the game has it's share of "disappointments." I think expectations were so high that this was bound to happen.

Of course, you could always buy the new "follow the gun-hand through a maze" shooter.
Old March 27, 2002, 22:14   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

the game is "wow this is great" for about 2 or 3 games. then it gets old but i still love it.

when expansion / MP cmes out you're set.
Old March 27, 2002, 22:17   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:16
What do you like best about CTP2? Civ2? Civ?
Old March 27, 2002, 23:17   #7
brendan.hewitt
Settler

Local Time: 08:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thankyou
Thank you,
you have all been very helpful. Can you tell me if there is a FW - style add-on pack coming out in the future? If there is I think I will wait. What i like best about oter civs is the ability to customize the game with mods soo much it doesnt even look the same. If civ3 doesnt do this I think i will give it a miss.
Thanks all
Old March 27, 2002, 23:23   #8
Tuberski

Oh, and that is another thing, we KNOW a patch is coming out, but not when. We don't know if ther will be an expansion. We don't know what will be changed. We don't know a lot of things. Firaxis tends to keep closed mouthed on anything.

I like the game but I didn't buy it, it was a present. I would have been a little dissapointed if I had bought it.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 28, 2002, 05:44   #9
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 22:16
Depends, some people have modded quite a few things with Civ 3, but I do not mod graphics.

If you want to be fustrated and not have an easy play, then probably Civ 3 will work for you. It will be different right off the first game, and you will think to yourself, what is this game doing?

Simple replies have been: It is too agressive, the computer is cheating, this thing- this thing is too much, and other such comments.

But, Civ 3 is playing differently, and besides a few major problems with me, like having to restart the computer after playing everytime, and buying a GeForce 2 Type Nvidia card so the files are not corrupted by my old ATI graphic card drivers, I guess one could call that a gaming experience.

Five ways to win or one or two or three or four may be fine for some people, but if one leaves on all five, then be prepared to have the computer probably kick your arse.

Other than that and even getting up to the modern age will determine if one is capable of putting that much effort into a computer game without a 'ringing out of the hands' and thinking that the World in the computer is just as 'screwed-up' as the real World is, in this day and age.

Some people have been reported to be saying over and over, "Its only a computer game, its only a computer game".

Other than that:

it may depend on how one wants to put up with this game called Civ III.

Old March 28, 2002, 06:01   #10
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 22:16
Civ III is not great.
But it could have been.
And fans expected it to be.

The second is not fair on Firaxis. Expectations were probably too high.
But Civ III falls short of the mark it should have reached. The best qualification is: this is a beta version of the game that was rushed for X-mas; not tested enough; not thought through enough.

The patches are exciting though as new features are added and problems tweaked. Not all patches are improvements and some are downright disastrous. They do add an interesting aspect to the civ III game. How close will Civ III get to what it should have been out of the box? Breathless with anticipation.

When all is said and done I play civ III regularly, and enjoy it. But I do cheat (edited the .bic; reload). Work my way around the unfair cheats the AI uses.

Robert