Old March 28, 2002, 08:35   #1
Sargeant_Kirby
Settler

Local Time: 23:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New thoughts about CIV3 (maybe vs. SMAC)
Hi 2 you all,

I realized that many of my whining about CIV3 bugs, no-so-fun solutions etc. is quite inadequate to show how much I am dissapointed with CIV3.

I installed the Planetary pack and finished a low-difficulty game in two days. I think i found out what's wrong with both games.

CIV3: If you want to win on difficult levels (Monarch+) the tempo of the game must be fast. You MUST attack your neighbours, don't care about diplomatic status (its the only way to build temples and units in captured cities fast), go for the important resources and expand, expand, expand till the end of the game. If you get lucky, you will build your spaceship with a two-turn difference from another powerful civilization.
Conclusion: The only way to win the game in CIV3 is making war from time to time.

SMAC: You can win the game in as many ways (corner global market, transcend, destroy, supreme leader) as in CIV3 but the style of play to achieve these victories is MUCH MORE DIVERSE. Example: If you need 50000 energy to corner the global market, you won't spend this money on upgrades or tech. In CIV3, all you need to win IS tech (firepower = tech, culture = wonders = tech, spaceship = tech, UN leader = sucks)
But, the SMAC becomes boring after the first 100-150 turns of play. In these turns you define your faction profile (which is good) , after that you are just going in for the victory (type). In CIV3 there is no real civ profile, you just go for everyting. Just as every other civ in play.
Old March 29, 2002, 10:27   #2
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So whats the conclusion? SMAC's factions are wholelot different than civs in civ3. While in SMAC factions are based on a certain philosophy, Civ3 civs dont differ much from each other. Unique units, civ spec abilities, yeah right.

SMAC is one of the best TBS games ever made. Civ is just a crappy sequel that is in fact lot worse than its predecessors.

- Paul Valery