Old February 19, 2001, 14:12   #1
Dhalsim
Settler

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Negotiating with other civilizations........
One improvement I would like to see, is far more options when meeting another leader.

Bargaining of all sorts, bribery, blackmail.
I love this part of the game, but 'Let's share maps'......'No'....could be improved. 'Let's exchange knowledge'....'No'.....'Oh go on, we'll help you out with your war.'.....etc

Anyone else?

------------------
Yoga Flame
Old February 19, 2001, 15:29   #2
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:46
Of course, adding much more to diplomacy is just what we need. Like a CTP2 system where you can threaten to declare war if they refuse and stuff like that. Also more co-operative alliances would be nice, and the ability to force other civs into allying with you if your much more powerful than them.
Old February 19, 2001, 15:40   #3
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:46
Money loaning (you should also be able to blackmail the civ you owe moneey into "forgetting" your debts), pacts, alliances, defence treaties (if they attack you we will attack them, but if you attack them we wont help), alliences limited by time, unions, more advanced peace options (when you make peace you give back that and that city/province and get this one and that one plus the winner of the war should be able to demand a large cash sum to be paid off to it regularly by the losing civ), the ability to force other nations into making peace whit eachoter, large alliances consisting of many major (and if they exist minor) civs, separate treaties (as well as the opppsite) these things are a few of the options I would like to see in civ 3.
Hopefully the increased trade system will make it into diplomacy too.
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 19, 2001).]
Old February 20, 2001, 02:11   #4
New Yorker
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:46
i like what is being said, but i would have something to add, along with demands, you should be able to demand a civ to reduce their military production and their military in general

while on negotiating topic, there should be a better way to negotiate borders than cities

------------------------------------
New York or New Jersey, where would you rather live?
Old February 20, 2001, 03:01   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:46
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Just keep in mind that while you have many supposed options in CtP2, they are essentially useless and quirky. I would rather have virtually NO negotiating if what little negotiating there is actually makes sense and plays an important part in the game.

Of course, negotiating intelligently is really beyond the computer's ability (or, we might say, programming the computer to handle all the possible abuses inherent in such a system is probably more trouble than it's worth). For multiplayer/hotseat games, it would just be easier to send each other messages.

I think, though, one day such a game will surface. One full of all kinds of intelligent wheeling and dealing with a computer opponent, but I'd look for that long after Civ3 has come and gone. For now, Civ3 computer opponents will have to exploit some very basic principles in order to be any challenge...and forcing them to interact in some human way only highlights their limitations (delcare war one turn, ask for peace the next, get peace, attack you in force the next, yell at you for being the scum of the earth, then ask for permanent peace, only to nuke your biggest city...etc.).

Nice thought, though.