Old March 28, 2002, 15:27   #1
SultanofATL
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Maybe your just Civ'd out
Is it possible that the people who are the most dissatisfied with Civ 3 are just Civ'd out. An example of what I mean: My friend and I all began playing Madden Football games religously in 1991.
Since then we have bought and obsessed over every release. With the each one we grew less and less satisfied. Until eventually this year no one bought Madden 2002. We moved on to something else. We discovered that we had just played Madden so much that it became a matter of diminishing returns. Maybe Civ is the same way. Some people who've played it abundantly are never gone get that feeling again. What do you think?
Old March 28, 2002, 15:40   #2
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 16:17
Not exactly.

At least Madden has gotten better with age. Civ3 almost seems like a step backwards. Fewer techs and governments, no SMAC style social engineering, you can't give other civs units, no "call off your vedetta" requests, no scenario editor. It's been years scince Civ2 came out, people were expecting revolutionary improvements...where are they? Culture is the only all-new concept in the game. No wonder movies... I'm sorry but that was just cheap. The story of Civ3 is one of dissapointed expectations. Believe me, I'm not Cived out. If this game was as engossing as it could be I would truly have no free time.
Old March 28, 2002, 15:47   #3
Tarquelne
Warlord

Local Time: 17:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
Culture is the only all-new concept in the game.
I think the game needs some resource-thing where some units would need certain resources, and the players could trade these resources with each other. Hey! Maybe some resource types could be used for other things, like making people happy.
Old March 28, 2002, 16:40   #4
Carver
Prince

Okay, resources. The game still lacks fresh imagination. 2050 and no satellites, tanks that look an awful lot like the present day M1 Abrams, no worthwhile helicopters, no futuristic city improvements (a biosphere to protect a city's production radius against global warming?).

And UUs, I'll give them applause for that too.
Old March 28, 2002, 16:47   #5
ACooper
Prince

Civ3 is not SMAC2
Old March 28, 2002, 19:23   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:17
If this thesis were true, then I would also be "cived-out" on Civ2MGE, but I'm not...As far as Madden goes, I don't like or play sports so I can't compare it to any of the civilization series.
Old March 28, 2002, 20:17   #7
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
Civ3 is not SMAC2
My only point is SMAC, Civ2 and CTP were released years ago. Civ3 should be more advanced and engrossing, but isn't. Civ3 is simpler than SMAC and CTP. Strategy gamers don't want the games to get simpler... most of us want (I believe) more complex and involved games with more options and depth. Civ3 has less.
Old March 28, 2002, 22:11   #8
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 17:17
Re: Maybe your just Civ'd out
Quote:
Originally posted by SultanofATL
Is it possible that the people who are the most dissatisfied with Civ 3 are just Civ'd out...

We discovered that we had just played Madden so much that it became a matter of diminishing returns. Maybe Civ is the same way. Some people who've played it abundantly are never gone get that feeling again. What do you think?
Apply this wisdom to just about anything in this world, and your way ahead of most out there. At least thats what my Buddhist spiritual guide tells me.

i like ibble blibble
Old March 29, 2002, 01:02   #9
Il Duce
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:17
Too bad FIRAXIS just wanted to produce facelift.
Old March 29, 2002, 15:29   #10
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 19:17
Hmmm... all of the "revolutionary improvements" that most people expected in Civ3 will almost certainly be in Civ4. Firaxis needed to introduce Civ3 to a whole new generation of strategy gamers, so they purposely decided to streamline Civ3 in order to...

No, it is not persuasive enough, is it?
Old March 29, 2002, 22:13   #11
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Unless maybe they are playing CTP, or even MoO. Afterall it uses the same basic concepts. I am sorely disappointed at it, but I am making the best of it and moving on. Either a better game will come along or they will fix it. One way or another I will have fun.

Oh well, back to the more fun side of it, back to working on the mod.