Old March 28, 2002, 16:58   #1
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 18:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Column #203; By Sheepy99
The 203rd edition of "The Column", dated January 12th, 2002, <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/column/203_mistakes.shtml">has arrived</A> albeit somewhat late. Entitled "<I>CivIII</I>'s Big Mistakes", a disheartened Sheepy99 sends a letter of grave concern to Firaxis. To comment on this article, simply reply to this thread. To comment on this article, simply respond to this thread.

For the month of March, Thursday`s have presented one of the four submissions received since mid-December last year. You can find a preview of them, plus a summary of all past columns going back to August, 1998, by <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/column">clicking here</A>. We have come to the end of this brief return run of <U>The Column</U>. We are in desperate need for more submissions. It is hoped that "The Column" will begin publishing regularly every Saturday starting in May if enough interest and contributions are generated by *May 1st* of this year.

If you would like to submit one, please vist the "<A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/column/submit.shtml">Article Submission</A>" page.

-----------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old March 28, 2002, 17:41   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:18
Apart from the consistant misspelling of Infogrammes, some fair points, if a little harsh perhaps.
Old March 28, 2002, 18:20   #3
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

It's "Infogrames" according to my Civ3 CD.....
Old March 28, 2002, 18:33   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

So I can't spell it either. Its not Infogames anyway.
Old March 28, 2002, 21:59   #5
Hywel Dda
Warlord

Local Time: 22:18
Quote:
Changing the game rules was easier in CivII then CivIII and even nice things like the freakin' map zoom is missing.
I agree. I've tried modding Civ III to push the limits a bit even within the limitations of the editor, and it seems to often become unstable and crash as a result.

Civ II was not only more Mod-able, it was more resiliant to pushing the boundaries of the game (albeit that the AI often had difficulty coping).
Old March 28, 2002, 22:46   #6
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:18
Markos, are you going to get in trouble with the Firaxis kickback payer for running this column?
Old March 28, 2002, 22:57   #7
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I belive the next patch is going top make modiifying much more flexible.

There's a discussion on it here.

Last edited by The Rusty Gamer; March 28, 2002 at 23:05.
Old March 30, 2002, 18:17   #8
MagisterMilitum
Settler

Local Time: 19:18
I agree with Sheepy99`s CIVIII'S BIG MISTAKES posted on January 12th, 2002. I hope that the patches needed to fix Civ III to what most of civ players want, wont end up in an expansion pack. That would be a great disrespect to all civ fans. Not so much because the money we`ve expended/will expend again, but for the fact that we were all expecting/hoping/dreaming for a product of quality that HAD/HAVE to be better than CIV 2. Maybe I should`ve bought Call to power 2 and waited for CIV IV

P.S.: Im not saying Civ III isnt a great game. It IS. But for example, I think that the ability to MODify the game is one of the main aspects that made for the great enjoyability of it. Thats what gave it so many possibilities for the player, that he never gets bored from playing the same thing over and over again.
Old March 30, 2002, 18:33   #9
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:18
Quote:
Originally posted by MagisterMilitum
Maybe I should`ve bought Call to power 2 and waited for CIV IV
It's never too late (and it should only cost you about 10 bucks)

Quote:
Originally posted by Hywel Dda
Civ II was not only more Mod-able, it was more resiliant to pushing the boundaries of the game (albeit that the AI often had difficulty coping).
And CtP2 takes this one step further.

*/shameless plug*
Old March 30, 2002, 20:55   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
So I can't spell it either. Its not Infogames anyway.
Yes, its spelt Infogreed.
Old April 1, 2002, 00:48   #11
Lord Neptune7
Settler

Local Time: 16:18
Location: Gladstone Mo. north of Kansas City "yea i know the Chiefs Suck"
CTP 2 Yeek
Man i bought CTP 2 after being very frustrated with Civ 3... the editor is just crap the slightest tweeking and it crashes i have yet to make it past 20 AD before it dies so what did i do i go out and buy CTP 2 for some refreshing change and what do i get but a horrible game with a retarded AI so so graphics im glad I waited for the price to come down to 19 dollars.... now my only hope for relief is MOOR 3 please let it be built well.........
Old April 1, 2002, 01:50   #12
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 10:18
Re: CTP 2 Yeek
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Neptune7
Man i bought CTP 2 after being very frustrated with Civ 3... the editor is just crap the slightest tweeking and it crashes i have yet to make it past 20 AD before it dies so what did i do i go out and buy CTP 2 for some refreshing change and what do i get but a horrible game with a retarded AI so so graphics im glad I waited for the price to come down to 19 dollars.... now my only hope for relief is MOOR 3 please let it be built well.........
The answer to CTP2 to make it enjoyable (I was just playing it today and believe me, it is enjoyable) is to use the mods - specifically the Apolyton pack, the Medieval Mod, and the Cradle Mod. There's been a lot of very good work put into these. They're needed to make the game actually playable.
Old April 8, 2002, 19:24   #13
atomicparkerman
Settler

Local Time: 18:18
N64 Bashing
It's a little harsh on the N64 as well. Not all good N64 games were multiplayer like Goldeneye, it's widely seen that Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of the best games of all time for ANY platform.
Old April 12, 2002, 02:57   #14
bigfree1

Right ON Dude! They shouldv'e taken the time to give us what we expected; except they were too greedy and wanted the money sooner than later. Next time the money will definately come LATER if it comes at all!

Old April 16, 2002, 18:27   #15
Khab
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:18
Yep, Firaxis has now fallen out of the select number of developers whose games I buy without waiting for a while, to let the hype die down.

Trying not to sound like a plug, I'd like to recommend the excellent Europa Universalis 2 to anyone with imperial ambitions - it has a tough learning curve, but there's plenty of enjoymeny in it.

10. Ask people what sex they are. Laugh hysterically after they answer.
Old April 19, 2002, 19:38   #16
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

I've only ever won once and I cant even remember how it's that long since I've played it. I just gave up and started playing all my older games like civ and col. Which are in a way better then civ3. Civ is just civ with no annoying bits tacked on to the side. It's a nice war game. Civ2 made a really good go at making the game more then that and survived for over 5 years. If I start up a game now I'd probably play it through till the end. Civ 3 aimed too high and missed by a long shot.
If you want a good example of what I was hoping civ3 would be more like try EU2. I'd tell anyone who was dissapointed in civ3 to go get that game it's a lot lot better. This game has been made by the players who knew what they wanted.
I hope with EU and RoN that that's the way the gaming industry is going now. They might have finally gotten the message that players want good games not just more crap they should have given us 5 years ago.
Old May 10, 2002, 08:12   #17
strategy
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Settler

No more Civ games for Sheepy99, right?
Old May 10, 2002, 09:51   #18
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon