View Poll Results: What effect would the option of modern era culture units have on game play?
very positive 2 13.33%
positive 1 6.67%
helpful, but would not change play enough 5 33.33%
annoying, fearful would hurt game play 3 20.00%
negative 1 6.67%
very negative 0 0%
other 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 29, 2002, 11:29   #1
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 15:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why not another modern era winning alternative?
Ok, after playing this game for 3 months, it seems like the modern era is too limited in winning options.

Culture win--predictable and not much fun. At least histograph shows status vs other civs.

Space Ship win-- boring. No suspense no F11 screen showing progress vs other civs.

Domination win-- opps, stops the game just before end game. Why work so hard and then not be able to complete game? That is like playing chess and never being able to say checkmate.

Diplomatic victory--boring popularity contest.

Conquest win--what is left after remove the other options.

I haven't checked the editor yet, but besides having powerful military units in modern era {tanks, modern armor, nukes, etc.} why not make available powerful cultural units?

I didn't notice before but it is bizarre to have culture for colosseum but none for space ship development.

Wouldn't adding more culture improvements in the modern era add to city flipping and add an another dimension of suspense to the game?

I'm thinking of maybe 4-6 new units for culture bombing, something like:
Improvement
Radio Free {your civ}-- culture == 10
Propaganda game released-- culture == 4
TV station-- culture == 8
Shortwave & Broadcase band Scanner-- culture == 6
{resists other cultures, but value positive instead of negative}

Wonder
{civ} on line-- culture == 20

Major Wonder
{civ} internet-- culture == 50

And then adding culture points to each spaceship module.
Old March 29, 2002, 12:30   #2
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 17:20
I would like to see an utopia victory (there is a thread on that somewhere here, I feel too lazy to post URL).

Other then that, I'd leave modern age alone, since I often win before I finish the tech tree.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:39   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

when i reformatted and reinstalled civ3, i forgot to change the victory conditions for the game (I just leave on world conquest), and in the modren age i got a "you lose" screen, someone won the space race.

I HAD NO FREAKING CLUE THAT ANYONE WAS BUILDING ANY SPACESHIPS WHATSOEVER.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:45   #4
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
I HAD NO FREAKING CLUE THAT ANYONE WAS BUILDING ANY SPACESHIPS WHATSOEVER.
Did you place embassies? That helps.

Don't worry, It happened to me too.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:51   #5
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 15:20
And what was the excitement of the space race. Sputnik is up. We orbited the globe. Russians orbited the globe....
Regular news reports. Civ3 has no interim progress reports thus boring, boring, boring. Turn off this option as it is not fun, even if win. Worst if you lose. You shouldn't have to plant a spy to see something like space race, only for unit stats.
Old March 29, 2002, 13:52   #6
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
And what was the excitement of the space race. Sputnik is up. We orbited the globe. Russians orbited the globe....
Regular news reports. Civ3 has no interim progress reports thus boring, boring, boring. Turn off this option as it is not fun, even if win. Worst if you lose. You shouldn't have to plant a spy to see something like space race, only for unit stats.

not a spy, just a diplomate
Old March 29, 2002, 14:20   #7
Autolicus
Settler

Local Time: 22:20
I think it's a good idea. If the modern age is to be as fun as the earlier ages, there has to be some new game aspects that take place later in the game. As it now stands, by the modern age, it's just a matter of spitting out more units, or building yet another space ship module.
Old March 29, 2002, 14:31   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm not against culture producing units, but they should be the exception rather than the norm. Maybe UUs should produce some culture. But having so systematical and highly cultural units as you mentioned would hurt gameplay, and wouldn't allow any culture win (since all civs would produce some units, and you'll never be able to be twice as good as them). I agree there should be one or 2 new cultural buildings (industrial and modern era), and some exclusively cultural big/small wonders. But having dozens of radio free [country], whose culture output are more important than Shakespeare Theatre is really unbalancing.
Culture victory is about long term planning and some agressiveness at the end. With your solution, planning doesn't count at all.

(btw : i was never able to win with culture, even when I try. There's always a #&@! scientific or religious tribe to have some culture to resist. Tssk.)
Old March 29, 2002, 14:32   #9
dikwhit
Settler

Local Time: 16:20
voted positive...... only 1 so far hmmm. when i saw that i had to wonder if it was the same two words that were having me vote positive as opposed to very positive that were resulting in everyone else being less than overjoyed at the idea.
oh what two words you ask????

what other two could they be FIRAXIS (INFROGAMES) PROGRAMMING
Old March 29, 2002, 15:09   #10
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:20
New Wins

#1- Most Wonders

Different from the Culture Victory...

If your Civ Builds 75% of the map's wonders you win the game.

#2- Most Units

If your Civ controls 75% of the world's units by the year 1500... (Checked continuously every year)