Old March 29, 2002, 16:24   #1
Outis II
Settler

Local Time: 22:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
.ini in Planetary Pack?
I apologize if this has been covered before.
I'm one of those irritating people with the 1.8gig cpu that is unrecognized by the game. I know about changing ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1 in the .ini but I've searched numerous times and have been unable to locate it in order to change it. I followed the instructions given at the Firaxis site but the file, as they describe it, does not appear. Are the files in the Planetary Pack, where Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire are bundled together, and which I am using, different from the stand alone game? I'd very much appreciate it if someone who has solved this problem using Planetary Pack could help me out and tell me precisely how to locate the .ini so I can change it.
Thanks in advance.
Old March 29, 2002, 17:07   #2
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

It's in the root directory of the install, along with terran.exe and terranx.exe. The file is called "Alpha Centauri.ini", and the option is right at the top.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old March 29, 2002, 18:14   #3
Outis II
Settler

Thanks for your quick reply, Chowlett. I've searched all over the program file, found the Terran files, searched *.ini, yet there is still no sign of Alpha Centauri.ini. Am I just blind or am I doing something wrong? Are you using Planetary Pack? I'm wondering if there is something different about this bundled release regarding the root files. I'm experienced in making little changes like this so this really has me baffled.
Old March 29, 2002, 21:14   #4
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 15:20
Just a thought--possibly the file has picked up the "hidden" attribute AND you have the "do not show hidden files" option selected. At least on my system (Windows ME), Alpha Centauri.ini does not show up in a search for *.ini under those conditions. HTH
Old March 29, 2002, 22:17   #5
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 17:20
The ini file is not extant upon installation. It gets created when you start your first game. I have been running SMAC/SMAX under ME for the past 6 months. I haven't had a problem yet.

Just start up a game and play a turn or two. Quit, then edit the ini file which will have been created in your SMAC directory.
Old March 30, 2002, 02:19   #6
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:20
In smax the file is named "Alpha Centauri", its icon is a text file with that name plus a little yellow gear on the incon indicating it is for configuration settings. It is there when you install the game but is enpty except for {Alpha Centauri} and an end of file mark. So you can find it and ADD the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 line if you need it to start the game. This situation comes up if you install the alien crossfire before you have played any regular smac games. If you have play smac before installing, the file will already have the old configuration settings.
Incidentally I just today noticed that in the file where the 7 names at the top of the hall of fame is set, from whatever set of faction you used for you fisrt game, which would be the smac seven for most player, except those that have reinstalled or first started with the planetary pack.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; March 30, 2002 at 02:26.
Old March 30, 2002, 03:22   #7
Outis II
Settler

Many thanks to all who replied. I found the file in this manner: Petek's idea about the hidden files was a good one; 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' in advanced folder options was, indeed, unchecked so I activated that, did a re-install, searched the root directory and there it was: Alpha Centauri.ini. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem I had. This really is a great game.