Old March 29, 2002, 22:57   #1
rogue785
Settler

Local Time: 16:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
an ineteresting incident
ok, i was nuked by bablyon, so i had 8 workers clean up the polution around my city. The nuke took out most of my defenses, so i was left with only a warrior. So my workers were cleaning and for no apparent reason attacked my city?!? My barbarian elimnated all 8 of them with one hit each. WTF!?!

Was it radiation poisoning and my warrior simply puting them out of their misery? Or did my workers decide to revolt unsucessfully?

Did this happen to anyone else?
Old March 29, 2002, 23:35   #2
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 14:21
Hmmm
No. But think of it as a surprise riot by covert peace activists.

You may want to post it in the Bugs thread.
Old March 29, 2002, 23:37   #3
Ethelred
King

Well not the specifics and it hasn't happened to me but there have been other reported instances.

It seems that occasionaly a unit will decide it is being attacked by workers and starts killing them as they enter the city. You should be able use an autosave to work around this.

I think it happened in the 1.16f patch as well as the most recent.
Old March 30, 2002, 00:44   #4
rogue785
Settler

i was lucky because the loss didn't really hurt me badly, it happened late in the game (2047) so i didnt bother reloading, but i hope it doesnt happen again when that is important.
Old March 30, 2002, 16:36   #5
eewolf
Chieftain

i had a similar experience. but it did not involve a nuke.

i had a city on a small island and there was another small island nearby. this empty island had a barbarian encampment and a goody hut. when my borders expanded across the goody hut, it popped into a city. note, i was not asked to name the city or even taken to the city screen, a city just appeared. and with a defender, too.

i brought a worker over to fix up the island a little bit. i didn't want to be bothered with the details so i just dropped it off in the new city and automated. the squares around the city were unimproved but the worker would not leave the city. it just went to sleep. i noted this oddity, but i was busy with other more important things.

eventually i operated the worker manually. when it was through i moved it into the city... and it was attacked and destroyed! it was then that i noticed that the unit in the city was a barbarian unit. in my city! i wasn't sure what to do. but i figured that i could build a unit and attack my own city with it. after all, the barbarian had fought the worker. anyway, when i built the unit, the barbarian disappeared so that was that.

sounds similar to your problem.

"craven a go choke puppy"
Old March 30, 2002, 16:47   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:21
eewolf,
Your incident with the barb in 'your' city reads like something some people wish were part of the game (such as in natural disasters)! What's a little chaos in a civilization!

JB

Last edited by Jaybe; March 30, 2002 at 17:40.
Old March 31, 2002, 03:33   #7
eewolf
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
eewolf,
Your incident with the barb in 'your' city reads like something some people wish were part of the game (such as in natural disasters)! What's a little chaos in a civilization!

JB
i agree, i am a huge fan of chaos. but i think in this instance a bug exists. i don't think it was meant for a city to exist with barbarians inside. it is interesting, though.

i believe what happened was there was a unique situation, a goody hut next to a barbarian encampment. when my borders expanded and crossed both squares, the encampment was disbanded leaving the barbarian unit on the next space over (i have seen this happen before). but that space was a goody hut that was popped into a city. the bug didn't resolve this conflict. also, the island only had those 2 squares. what probably should have happened is that my brand new city, unguarded, should have been raided by the barbarian and then left deserted. but there may be other circumstances that cause this problem and i think the original post was one of those.

personally, i liked barbarians that took cities in civ2. i know it was exploited (you could use them to generate units, capture them with spies and there would be no cost to a city). you could build a fairly large free army this way. but there is no unit connection to the city that builds it in civ3 and you can't capture units with spies anymore, so that exploit wouldn't work anyway. so barbarian cities would be ok. and add some chaos maybe. at least the barbarians should raze the city.

"craven a go choke puppy"
Old April 1, 2002, 18:32   #8
Autolicus
Settler

Local Time: 22:21
Hey, if you keep all of those slaves working away clearing pollution for years at a time, they're bound to revolt.
Old April 1, 2002, 23:24   #9
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 17:21
Autolicus has a point there. In all of your incidents were the workers captured workers?

That may have something to do with this. I've read about this problem a few months ago and thought that 1.17f took care of this problem. What version are you using?
Old April 2, 2002, 00:03   #10
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

i had a similar incident, but involving military units

had an infantry unit fortified in a city that pretty much had to be passed threw to get from one half of my nation to the other

i told a couple of tanks to go from one side of my empire to the other... so they HAD to pass threw this city, on railroad of course

there were roughly 5 tanks i believe, this wasnt recent.

Anyways, they all get to the city, and the infantry guy defends the city as if they were enemies. Kills all the tanks. I tell the dude to go to a city in the middle of nowhere, and it never happens again.

This was before the invention of nukes.

im betting its roughly the same bug as the one affecting rogue785...

some kind of bug making a unit mistake friendly units for enemies, and defending against them.
Old April 3, 2002, 20:35   #11
rogue785
Settler

no
The workers weren't captured I dont think, but if they were, they were captured from a long dead civilization.
Old April 7, 2002, 14:03   #12
Cool Hand
Settler

I had the same thing happen !

a) For whatever reason, a worker assigned to clean up pollution attacked (or was attacked) by a Infantry garisoned in my capital. Poor bugger was soon put out of his misery - and Infantry promoted to elite (!! ??).

b) Twelve (!!) workers met their untimely end in a row when they ventured too close to the city which held by Intelligence Agency. Coincidece ....? I was under Communist rule at the time, could there be some sort of KGB factor at work??

My best guess is that they roll in some sort of pollution mortality factor. Or secondly, I had been in a prolonged state of war and had cycled in and out of Anachy - perhaps my ungrateful workers (I was doing it all for them ) were looting/rioting.
Old April 7, 2002, 18:07   #13
Purest Warrior
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:21
LOL
Old April 7, 2002, 19:53   #14
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
there were roughly 5 tanks i believe, this wasnt recent.

Anyways, they all get to the city, and the infantry guy defends the city as if they were enemies. Kills all the tanks. I tell the dude to go to a city in the middle of nowhere, and it never happens again.
Did the infantry take any damage at all? I'm suprised he wasn't killed by the tanks, considering there were 5.
Old April 8, 2002, 02:47   #15
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: an ineteresting incident
Quote:
Originally posted by rogue785
ok, i was nuked by bablyon, so i had 8 workers clean up the polution around my city. The nuke took out most of my defenses, so i was left with only a warrior. So my workers were cleaning and for no apparent reason attacked my city?!? My barbarian elimnated all 8 of them with one hit each. WTF!?!

Was it radiation poisoning and my warrior simply puting them out of their misery?
Seems Firaxis already implemented my (not very serious) idea for Civ 4, the Incredible Hulk!
Old April 15, 2002, 10:54   #16
V.O.C.'02
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:21
I like to eat soup when I play civ3
Old April 15, 2002, 12:53   #17
Egyptian
Settler

My Mech Infantry Killed My Workers!
I had something similar happen to me as described in the original post. I was playing on Regent level as the Egyptians, standard map, six other civs remain. THe year is 1788AD, and I'm one turn away from completing the final component of the space ship. The closest civ that I know of was the Indians, who had five components complete. I think the Americans were closer, but I couldn't plant a friggin spy. The turn previous to launching the ship, I figure I'll be a butt scab and nuke the entire world before leaving. I level Washington, and a few other capitals, and all the civs except one declare war on me. After firing off eleven ICBMs and three tactival nukes, I end my turn. The *!#@*! Space ship won't *!#*!*#ing launch. All the compontents were complete! I clicked on the "S" button on the bottom right of the screen but it didn't do anything, so I tried F10 - still nothing. I was never able to see the space ship again. I was only 20 turns away from a cultural victory, so I figured I'd wait it out. During that time. one of my cities that was about 4000 years old went haywire, and started killing any units that came close to it. It had two MEch Infantry in it, and they killed two other Mech Infantry, and four workers. I removed the units from the city and put a different unit in it. When the unit (mech INfantry) approached the city, it had to fight it's way into the city even though no one was there. No pop up appeared or anything when my unit moved into the city. The same turn, two of my nuclear plants melted down. I was able fend off all the other civs I was at war with, razed 10-15 cities, and nuked a bunch more. I eventually declared peace with all of them and switched back to democracy. When my cultural points went over 100,000 nothing happend! I was over 102,000 points! It was as if the victory conditions were disabled, but I KNOW that all victory conditions were on when I started the game. What the *!#*!@#! is going on! I finally gave up on that game.
Old April 15, 2002, 15:32   #18
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You must have at least twice the culture points of your immediate rival to win a cultural victory
Old April 15, 2002, 16:56   #19
Kizami
ACDG The Free Drones
Chieftain

Really? Thought so...because i've been over 100,000 cultural points and nothing happened!