Old April 8, 2002, 18:23   #91
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Great ideas put forth on this excellent thread. Just to try some of the ideas laid out by rpodos and the other "army pushers," I started a game on Emperor w/ the Aztecs. Standard size map, continents, wet, cool, 3B years old.

My capitol was founded on the tip of an inverted-L shape continent. There was a large expanse of mountains/hills between my core cities and my neighbors, the Americans and Iroquois. But no problem. As any self-respecting Aztec would, I built Jaguars like they were going out of style (because they are from the very beginning) and quickly overran the Iroquois. But this is key, I made sure not to rely on Jaguars too long, because on Emperor, the computer will start stacking Spearmen very early. So instead, I switched to Swordsmen when I started taking on the Americans, who by this time was starting to entrench themselves on the other half of the continent.

I got my first leader while I was taking on the Americans. Instead of saving it for an FP, I turned it into an Army of two Swordsmen. With the Army and a ton of backup units (both swords and horses), I finally made the Americans cry uncle. I also finish the Heroic Epic at this time.

Now I'm dominating the continent, with the Iroquois and the Americans subjugated, and with two other civs (Russians and Greeks) founding cities on the far tip from my capitol. This is where I switch from being a warmonger to being a builder. At this time, I am cursing myself because I didn't use that leader for an FP. Corruption is killing the vast majority of my cities, because my capitol is on the tip of the L-shaped peninsula. So I do what I can and concentrate everything on getting that FP up ASAP (while at the same time keeping up in tech by building up cash and buying it).

Finally, just before the Industrial Era, the FP is finally built, and I become a real builder powerhouse. Right now, I'm in the Modern Era and going for a Domination Victory (because I've already won all of my previous games w/ Space Race). Absolutely no one can stop me, especially with my armies.

However, I am not entirely sure that the early Army was worth sacrificing the early FP. I could have defeated the Americans without it, and by the time I got the Heroic Epic, the continent was essentially mine. Because of this, it did not make sense to continue waging war until the Modern Era. As a result, I have only gotten two more leaders after the HE was built. One of them came as during a minor skirmish with the Russians; that leader became Universal Suffrage. The other came during my final war, which I am now waging. It became SETI, but that wonder isn't a big deal by this point.

As for my armies, yes they are unstoppable, but so is my stack of 10-15 Tanks and 7-10 Mech.Inf. By the time I got the ability to build armies, I've already built up too much momentum for my opponents to handle. Sure, my stacks of tanks will eventually whittle away, but I've got more where they came from.

I am considering going back and seeing how the game would have turned out had I chosen the early FP instead. I bet I'd enter the Modern Age much sooner than before.

So in conclusion, I think my GL came a little too late for an early army to make a big difference. By the time I got the HE, I had already changed from warmonger to builder. My armies were indeed fun to play with, but they were not game breakers for me by a longshot. And sacrificing the early FP doesn't seem like it was worth it, at least in this particular game.

Last edited by Tenchusatsu; April 8, 2002 at 18:33.
Tenchusatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2002, 19:01   #92
rpodos
Warlord

Local Time: 17:22
Tenchusatsu:

You're almost there!!

The key is to never stop fighting (well, some war-weariness breaks are OK, I guess).

Remember, although playing with Armies of different configurations can be a lot of fun in and of itself, the whole strategy is about:

1) Building the Heroic Epic absurdly early, typically after Pyramids and / or Great Library. This has two effects: a) culture, especially as it gets to two and even three thousand years old, and b) increasing the likelhood of GL creation.

2) Well, 1b only counts if you keep fighting, and win a lot of "safe" elite battles. So you have to have a big military, with lots of vets to act as the frontline, and ongoing relative unit strength.

The natural strategy for a lot of people is to go to war relatively early, beat up nearby civs, get to the size of empire they want, and convert to a builder strategy. Sounds like what you did.

The way I've been playing, it is crucial to get that FP right when you've reached that optimal empire size... so I don't stop fighting, even though I may have gone builder in my core cities.

At this point, I'm no longer fighting for lebensraum. I'm fighting for GLs, tech extortion, and AI civ punishment, in that order (and to be a bastard).

BTW, this also means that I DON'T try to take total control of "my" continent. In addition to "vassals" and "clients," I have "punching bags." So every time I get relative strength, I immedately upgrade and go to work. Don't stop until I have the FP and the Middle Ages Wonders.

Warriors, boom, Archers, boom. Horsemen, boom. Swordsmen, boom. Longbow & Knights, boom. Cavalry, boom. Then I'll take a brreak and build for a while, and focus on updgrading defensively with Riflemen and Infantry.

In the end, you are right... no way would I sacrifice the FP for an Army. Just gotta get both!

R
Old April 8, 2002, 19:30   #93
Txurce
Prince

Arrian:
I am indeed playing Emperor now, and just finished a game as the Egyptians that you'll get a kick out of. I had a very good starting position on a very large continent with six other civs. (The Chinese were off-shore, and stayed there the entire game, eventually becoming the second-largest civ.) I pumped out settlers and WCs, and was attacked by the English just as I was about to start my first rush at my usual time - toward the end of the BC era. This turned into a free-for-all, and by around 500 AD, Egypt was the dominant, biggest civ. Victory just about caught me up in tech. and at this point I switched to builder mode. I skipped knights altogether - the techs were falling too fast - and started upgrading my WCs to cavalry just before 1000 AD.

At this point, I decided to save the game and... taking advntage of the Pangaea-like continent... go for a domination victory. While the French and Romans continued their game-long stalemate above me, I wiped out the Greeks below, then wheeled north. By 1385, I had conquered the continent, and couldn't imagine why I hadn't won a domination victory - it sure looked to me like I had 66% of the total land mass. I started building a fleet to invade the big Chinese island with infantry and settlers, then spotted a little Chinese one-city island nearby. My second invasion try worked, and I achieved a domination victory in 1415, with 5558 points... basically identical to your results, and my best game ever as well. (I had no armies, because I didn't get one GL. The only GW I built was Bach. I also built the FP.) I now intend to go back and play the game out from 1000 AD for a space race victory, as I had originally intended.

With regard to your debating Emperor (Rpodos as well) because of strategy limitations, you should know that I haven't had to change my strategy that much, and have decisively won two of my last three games at that level. I do what I always do: warmongering expansion followed by building, all the way to space. (Tenchusatsu seems to play very similarly.) Interestingly, I have used swordsmen only once in all my games, and that was also a JW upgrade. I prefer either mobility or the cheapness of Bowmen. In my two Emperor wins, the opening rushes were all JWs and WCs, and in retrospect they settled the game, because the AI production advantage was history by that point.

That production edge is tough only at the start, which is why Dominae and DaveV advised me to hope for a good starting location, and focus on rapid expansion by fighting and pumping out settlers. In both my wins, my capital had cattle, and I kept it making settlers throughout the ancient era. In fact, I built settlers early at the expense of warriors, and willingly paid the price with barbarians. The poorer the starting location, of course, the more you'll need a quick rush. And that is why I favor the earliest rushers: JWs, WCs, even Bowmen. They gain me the upper hand sooner rather than later, and how often do you lose the upper hand once you have it?

You've heard that opinion from me before, but it applies even more to Emperor than to Monarch. I don't see much difference except for the increased importance of starting location, fewer GWs (as Ethelred pointed out), and techs being researched more quickly. I guess it would be tough to win as a pure builder on Emperor, unless you have a great start, but how often did you do that on Monarch?
Txurce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2002, 19:31   #94
Txurce
Prince

Rpodos, do you know what happens to extremists? You are getting perilously close to going around the bend with that "no build, just kill" zone of yours!

Zachriel (and BigVic), the longbowman/musket/pikeman stack is a great idea. I also really enjoy your illustrated battle accounts. Are you gathering them for something?
Old April 8, 2002, 20:42   #95
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 18:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Txurce
Rpodos, do you know what happens to extremists? You are getting perilously close to going around the bend with that "no build, just kill" zone of yours!

Zachriel (and BigVic), the longbowman/musket/pikeman stack is a great idea. I also really enjoy your illustrated battle accounts. Are you gathering them for something?
In the story, in the chapter Threat from the West
http://www.crowncity.net/civ3/gotm5/1220ad.htm

I wrote, "After a long and bloody cavalry and cannon war, we have finally reached a peace agreement with the Russians. During the last days of the war, we were rewarded with one last Great Leader, which we used to rush the Forbidden Palace in Moscow."

Actually, I prolonged the war until I had that Leader. It wasn't just a lucky Leader.
Zachriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2002, 21:09   #96
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Txurce, the description of your game as the Egyptians makes me think we play very similar styles. War is so necessary at the higher levels, and early game is so important. Thus early wars are a great idea.

However, I have to disagree with you on one point. You said there wasn't much of a difference between Monarch and Emperor. I think there is a huge difference: doing your own research is a viable option on Monarch, while on Emperor I've never ever researched anything before Chemistry, at the very earliest (this isn't completely true; I usually research a couple of techs right away, just to get to a good unit...i.e. Horsemen, Immortals).

I point this out because the general statement "Emperor and Deity restrict your gameplay choices" is, I think, very true. If you're going to prepare to make the jump from Monarch to Emperor, you have to get used to a very specific style of play. For examples, warfare is essential, and competitive research is impossible until the late Medieval age. I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking about.

Anyway, congratulations on your game. I have never achieved a Domination victory so fast on Emperor, but I recently managed to win the Space Race in 1760 AD with Japanese (yes, Space Race with the Japanese...reformed warmonger). 5659 points. Great game; it was a nail-biter until well into the Industrial age.

Dominae
Dominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2002, 21:18   #97
Dominae
Emperor

Back the topic of this thread. rpodos, would you say that your "punching bag" strategy is very successful? I can imagine that, in the long run, you're bound to generate an extra couple of GLs, but isn't it simpler to destroy that civ and move on? I've conquered civs even in completely corrupt regions (from my empire's perspective) because the new cities do add to your score, and generate a minimal but significant amount of gold.

I've never really been able to employ the "vassal" strategy successfully either, and they seem to be related (in a twisted way). If I've built the HE already (and you know from my other posts that I have if I'm playing Militaristic), I might as well learn to milk it for all it's worth! A few pointers perhaps on creating the "ideal punching bag"?

Dominae
Old April 9, 2002, 00:19   #98
rpodos
Warlord

Right, I think Zachriel has been playing exactly the way that I am espousing (and a lot longer, too).

It's not "all soldiers, all the time" BTW.

For instance, right now in my Roman game, I am not building a single military unit, other than drafting down 12-pop cities.

In fact, I am on a massive building binge, filling out every city with everything from markets to universities. Also catching up on all the SWs.

The other major continent seemingly just built harbors, so I have finally just sold off all of my excess luxuries, as well as GIVING AWAY strategic resources to some of the lesser-developed-nations.

BUT, that doesn't stop the wars. I'm pillaging all of Persia's strategic resources, and setting up the permanent warzone in between them and Egypt. Interlocking fields of fire, from a couple of forward military cities on hills and a couple of forward fortresses on mountains.

I'm going to take this all the way to space... GWs and Armies, from GLs, throughout.

TX, I don't think of this as extreme... War is not a job, it's an adventure.

R
Old April 9, 2002, 00:36   #99
rpodos
Warlord

Dominae,

Excellent point re the distinction between Monarch and Emperor. On Monarch, I do the same early on, slowly research some critical military techs. On Emperor, no research until the early Industrial Age, which, while the right way to play, sort of feels wrong.

I'm going to start a new thread on neighboring civs. I'm still figuring out how to play each AI civ off the other, and to what stage of development I will allow them at any given time. For instance, "punching bags" need to be strong enough to put up a fight... but that's all. As I'm still experimenting, I tend to beat them down more than to let them up... but my instincts tell me it is better to leave them alive, at least until I am fully in space ship construction mode. Don't forget, I have yet to finish a game, so I am not focused on score yet.

I wish Vel were around... I'm trying to learn the "metagame," while still having evil fun, while learning how to win.

R

ps: This thread was originally about Armies. I only played two rounds tonight, but I did create a 3 elite Legion plus 1 vet Infantry Army tonight. Not as aesthetically cool as Zachriel's mixed-unit Army, but rock solid nonetheless. Fought off 5 vet and regular Persian Cavs in one turn. Knowing that I have pillaged all of his damn horses, that feels damn good.
Old April 9, 2002, 00:46   #100
rpodos
Warlord

Dominae,

Also, to quote:

"...you're bound to generate an extra couple of GLs, but isn't it simpler to destroy that civ and move on?"

Whoa, boy!! Are we playing the same game?

Give me a couple of GLs, and I'll give you: World Map, 1000 gold, 5 techs, 4 luxuries, saltpeter (!), and Veii (I'll get it back by culture or conquest anyway!!).

And anyway, if you destroy a civ, you can't beat them up anymore. More on that tomorrow.

'Night all.

R
Old April 9, 2002, 01:24   #101
Dominae
Emperor

rpodos, I do believe we are playing the same game. It seems I made it sound like GLs were no big deal, which is far far from the truth!

What I meant to say is, you need to "take care" of 'punching-bag civs', just like you need to do with 'vassal states' (even more so in the first case). On my Emperor games, I find I don't have enough time or resources to keep other civs alive. The ones that I do attack I cripple to the point that they're useless as punching bags (in my last game, the English were reduced to a single city in the middle of a huge continent for about two millennia...hardly a good punching bag). Civs that are stronger than this have a funny knack of trading for the best techs and ganging up on me with their neighbours. So, I find it's more worth my while to grab their land and found some cities, cities that will eventually be productive once I reach Democracy.

I guess this goes back your question "How big is your military?". As I've posted, mine appears to be rather small. This is probably why I'm not big on the idea of having 'punching-bag civs' around: my "punches" will have to come from somewhere (i.e. my military units), which takes units away from my real battles (such as, say, the second best civ...me being the best, of course!). I do believe your military is large enough to fight wars on multiple fronts, and have units left over for 'punching-bag civs'. Mine is not.

So, I think we'll both agree that GLs are worth it, in general (who wouldn't agree to that?!?!). You seem to think that GLs are worthwhile goals in and of themselves. I, on the other hand, think they're nice (very nice!) byproducts of all too necessary warfare. However, you do appear to be having a lot of fun with your playing style, so maybe I'll give it a go!

Dominae
Old April 9, 2002, 12:42   #102
bigvic
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel

Had good luck in GOTM5 over at civfanatics during the War of the Longbowmen. In any case, I think bow would work better if they did not automatically move into the vacated square after the attack, but the player could manually complete their move after the attack.

http://www.crowncity.net/civ3/gotm5/0700ad.htm
Cool. I seem to have bad luck with them. I call 'em "poor man's knights".

i like ibble blibble
bigvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2002, 13:18   #103
Tenchusatsu
Warlord

Update on the Aztec game:

I am now fighting for domination, and I am currently fighting the Geeks, er, Greeks. They reside on the smallest of continents, but they are currently the best of what's left. And they have some huge cities, like 20-something population in each. Needless to say, their culture is also very strong.

So after "failed peace renegotiations," I immediately land on their island with a two-pronged approach. One force consists of eight Modern Armors and eight Mech.Inf. attacking their capital (Athens) on the west side, and the other force consists of some Modern Armors (I forget how many) and three armies on the east side. Carriers are lending support on the east side, but they're mainly there for air superiority, not for heavy bombing. Naval support ships are also on the east side, while the west side has none (i.e. a mad dash with transports).

In short order, the two cities I am targeting are mine, including Athens. However, more units are alive on the east side than on the west, thanks to the Armies. I shuffle some Mech.Inf. away from the capital toward the east side in order to fortify the city. Then I let my Armies and Modern Armor rest as I prepare my first wave of reinforcements. Unfortunately, on the next turn, Athens culture-flips, taking all of my units with it!

So after getting over the frustration, I regroup in the city I still have, hoping that I'll have enough units to prevent the other city from culture-flipping. Then with my armies still holding that city, I send my remaining Modern Armors toward a 12-size city to the north. I took over that city, and the game now stands with two cities taken and reinforcements almost ashore.

Anyway, I have gained a renewed respect for the Army. I guess in all my previous battles, by the time I got my first Army the enemies were no longer able to put up a real fight. But now that I'm trying to crack the strong shell of Greece, I find that my attack WITH Armies was much more successful and much less costly than my attack WITHOUT Armies.

Part of it has to do with the poor, er, I meant unique naval model in this game. Reinforcements take quite a while to arrive by boat. Transit time is three turns, meaning that my first attack force has to sit tight for quite a while defending the precious beachhead. That's where the survivability of the Army comes into play. Let's see the Greeks just TRY and bring down my Armies of three Modern Armors and one Mech.Inf. each!

Not only that, but the survivability of the Army also meant that more units were available to prevent culture-flipping. Now I don't know how many I need, but I'm sure the more I have, the less likely the city will flip.

So Armies do indeed have their place in the game. As rpodos said, it might not be worth sacrificing an early FP or wonder, but at least in this Modern war, they are getting a lot of use. Not that the Army is a deciding factor in this game, but I'm sure one of these days I'll play a game where the difference between winning and losing really is the Army!

Last edited by Tenchusatsu; April 9, 2002 at 13:37.
Tenchusatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2002, 15:45   #104
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenchusatsu
Anyway, I have gained a renewed respect for the Army. . . .
So Armies do indeed have their place in the game. As rpodos said, it might not be worth sacrificing an early FP or wonder, but at least in this Modern war, they are getting a lot of use. Not that the Army is a deciding factor in this game, but I'm sure one of these days I'll play a game where the difference between winning and losing really is the Army!
Funny. I find armies much more decisive in the earlier ages. But they're fun anytime!

Last edited by Zachriel; April 9, 2002 at 16:07.
Old April 9, 2002, 16:10   #105
Txurce
Prince

Dominae, I had thought that my own basic strategy wasn't affected by the switch from Monarch to Emperor, but I agree that research is useless in Emperor until you are the #1 civ, which usually takes you to the cusp of the Middle and Industrial Ages. All I have been researching, besides Warrior Code or the Wheel for the Babs or Egyptians, is monarchy. Ethelred makes a good point that you sometimes stay out of Republic longer in Emperor, but even if you don't, you can research monarchy pretty quickly even with the science level at 10%.

Zachriel, that is a very entertaining website you created. I particularly enjoyed the ancient-era propaganda, and was impressed by how you salvaged your hopeless start by moving your palace and the necessary do-or-die attack on Paris.

Rpodos, what you're doing in your Roman game sounds more extreme to me by the post. It also seems like a lot more fun per turn than the average game I play. In effect, you seem to run a permanent series of tests, and shift the focus when things get stale for whatever reason.

Tenchusatsu, if there is a need for armies, it is probably to ensure the success of a seaborne invasion against a solid enemy. Ming's notion of a defensive army - all mech infantry - to defend your vulnerable landing position against a blizzard of tanks clearly could make or break your foray.

I define a vassal state as one who will generally pay serious gpt for techs or luxuries. It is indeed difficult on Emperor to keep vassal states from shrinking to gnat status, or growing into scorpions. In my current game - the same Egyptian one, but now going for space - I let the French survive a little too well, and suddenly found myself with two large French cavalry groups cruising through my territory en route to Greece. Joan was furious with me, and I feared a declaration of war if I told her to leave my nominally defended country. Instead I held my breath, and waited until one French group entered the mountains at the Greek border, while the other paused on flat ground. I then told Joan to leave, and she predictably declared war. I had enough cavalry to then attack the second cavalry force and wipe it out, and use my recently finished railroad to be there waiting when the second French force emerged from the mountains. It all worked out, but if the French had just a little less respect for me, I would have been very embarrassed.
Old April 9, 2002, 16:37   #106
rpodos
Warlord

Good strategy for taking out those French cavalry.

Intrigued by Zachriel's comment that he finds Armies more decisive in the earlier ages (BTW, this from the guy who has HOW MANY tank Armies??!!), I decided to do a little analysis.

Using my Army "total points" system, I compared various 3 unit homogoneous Armies' attack strengths to the defense strength of the defender that they would typically face. Assume the defender is fortified, but in a 6-pop or less town, and not on a hill, nor across a river. I deducted 1 hp's worth of total attack strength from each Army.

I divided the attacking Army's strength by one defender's strength:

Sword / Legion vs. Spear = 13.2
Immortal / Longbow / Knight vs. Spear = 17.6
Immortal / Longbow / Knight vs. Pike = 11.7
Cav vs. Musket = 13.2
Cav vs. Rifle = 8.8
Tank / Panzer vs. Infantry = 14.1
Modern Armor vs. Infantry = 21.1
Modern Armor vs. Mech Infantry = 11.7

To Zachriel's point, and as I always say, fight when you have the most relative strength.

The ones that really jump out at me are a) Immortals, and b) getting to Modern Armor while the AI is still on Infantry. Cav vs. Rifle is one to watch out for, as that is often the match-up for a good while... makes a good argument for the Pentagon, as the 4th Cav brings the ratio back up to 12.

My conclusion: Armies are ALWAYS effective.

R
Old April 12, 2002, 22:38   #107
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:22
Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
You've never gotten a GL from battle? I usually get 1-5 per game, you must be doing something wrong.
I usually only get 1 or 2, and often don't get one until the middle ages...I'm usually pretty peaceful though and i'm rarely a militaristic civ...non-militaristic I've had like 30 elite victories in a big war and not gotten a GL...I usually use them for wonders anyways, until the end of the game when my productions good enough to build em in under 20 turns...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
civman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2002, 00:16   #108
bigvic
Prince

armies are a real mixed bag. almost absolutely nececary if your playing an early uu challenged power like the germans and having to fight someone like the iroqois, yet so restricted in regard to upgrades, sea transport, blitzing, etc. a tough choice. after they become hopelessly obsolete, i stick 'em in my capital as sort of a swiss guard

i like ibble blibble
bigvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2002, 08:47   #109
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by bigvic
armies are a real mixed bag. almost absolutely nececary if your playing an early uu challenged power like the germans and having to fight someone like the iroqois, yet so restricted in regard to upgrades, sea transport, blitzing, etc. a tough choice. after they become hopelessly obsolete, i stick 'em in my capital as sort of a swiss guard
Yes, I do that too. Once I had an elite warrior in the 20th century still parked in the capital. He was like Hercules from ancient times, the ultimate warrior. My soldiers believed that as long as he lived no spearman could defeat our tanks. (It apparently worked.)
Old April 13, 2002, 11:49   #110
Txurce
Prince

I do the same thing. Who says they took all the romance out of Civ?
Old April 13, 2002, 17:18   #111
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
This is especially true for Sword-level UUs.

I know technically that in Democracy there is no reason to garrison my interior, core cities. Maybe it's a leaveover from Civ2, but empty cities make me uncomfortable.

It makes the boys in the 14th Infantry and 11th Tank Corps at the front a lot more comfortable that their homes and families are being guarded by the Elite Legionairy National Guard, a unit whose history of honor and distinction stretches back into antiquity.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2002, 00:35   #112
Txurce
Prince

I finally finished my Egyptian space-race version of the game I originally played for domination (1415 finish), launching my ship in 1772 (close but no cigar, Dominae). Then I started a game that really fits this thread.

Iroquois, Emperor, standard everything else. Finding myself on a small continent with only the Americans, I built just enough MWs to wipe out the Americans in three wars by 90BC. (I declared short periods of peace in order to get techs out of them.) At this point, with the Persians having two cities on my continent, I had the temples to switch from despotism to republic. Within a few turns I had the tech lead - at the start of the middle ages - and never lost it for the rest of the game. I thought I would keep my virtually corruption-free 17 cities stable, and play out a compact builder game. The only dark cloud on the horizon was that my continent had no iron.

The Persians declared war soon after, so I knocked them off my continent. They shared the larger continent below me with the Zulus, with whom they were at war. The Persians wouldn't trade any iron with me under any circumstances, so I took a coastal city with both iron and saltpeter with three caravels of MWs and one musketman. I then hung on until military tradition, and upgraded these defenders to cavalry. The Persians steadily wiped out the Zulu, and kept attacking my cities. I eventually lost my one persian city, but by then had discovered iron on my home continent. I then established a beachhead elsewhere on the Persian continent, and made contact with the dying English, stunted French, and the dominant power on their much larger continent, the Heroic Epic-enhanced, army-rich Germans. By the time I reached the industrial age, my tech lead had led the Germans to declare war on me, and this inevitably dragged in fellow MPPers like the French and Persians. While I was safe from all of these aggressors, the revolving wars not only knocked me permanently out of democracy and into republic, but kept my luxury tax climbing, despite having both the Chapel and Bach.

After researching motorized transport, I was ready to do something about it. My fully-developed cities switched to tank production. I had lost two leaders on counterattacks already, but a third led to my first tank army, and the quick building of both the Heroic Epic and the Military Academy. I started putting together a force to try out a policy that would destroy nearby Persia while mainatining my low corruption: scorched earth. It worked. Persia had almost twice as many cities as the Iroquois, but by the time it built some tanks, they were on their last legs. And I had built a force that featured five four-tank armies, plus a sixth of mech infantry (think Zachriel's graphic!). The result: a mid-sized continent that had only one city on it by 1840s... one city, and a bunch of freshly spawned barbarians! (No, they don't have muskets, like in Civ2.)

At this point Germany wanted to declare peace yet again, but I had all those armiers and nothing to do with them. So I decided to build my version of a D-day invasion force and attack the German continent. I put together the following:

2 carriers (8 bombers) 2 battleships
8 artillery 11 tanks
16 marines 5 tank armies
1 mech-infantry army

...and set sail in 1866. The 16 marines went in following a heavy bombardment, but were insufficient, given that the Germans' had just landed a transport full of cavalry in addition to infantry. So I landed my force on open ground and... nothing happened. The next turn I took the city. The German panzer counterattack began in earnest the next turn, but those armies weakened but didn't crack. (My artillery weakened a panzer army to the point that one vet tank destroyed it.) I decided that I didn't want to bother reinforcing my invasion force, so set my goal the razing of two German cities en route to one with four luxuries. I didn't have enough forces to successfully defend my original captured city, but succeeded in splitting the German contione t in half, and taking the city with the luxuries. I then negotiated a peace, focused on the space race, and won going away in 1951.

What was noteworthy about this game? A successful transition to republic in 90BC, and the taking of the tech lead soon after... both unusually early. My decision not to expand my borders led to more war, and more entertainment:
the building of six armies, the sustained razing of a major continent, and a combined-arms invasion that worked not due to numbers, but to the power of those armies. It also confirmed my instinct that limiting the size of a civ can make the game more competitive, and more varied.
Old April 20, 2002, 10:49   #113
Dominae
Emperor

Sounds like a great game Txurce. You've just showed how late-game wars are a lot of fun if you face enough competition.

Dominae
Old May 31, 2002, 16:00   #114
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 14:22
Re: On the Utility and Use of Armies
Quote:
Originally posted by rpodos
I am a proponent of Armies.

I play an early warmonger style, with one of my primary objectives being the generation of GLs. Therefore, I like to build the Heroic Epic as early as possible; it only requires 200 shields
No it also requires a leader, because to be able to build it you need the GL to create an army. Heroic Era changes the odds of an elite unit generating a GL from 1/16 to 1/12 in a successful battle. Without the wonder, if your elite units destroy 48 units, you'll get an average of 3 GLs. With it, you'll get an average of 4 GLs. The fourth GL will cover the GL to spent on building the first army, minus the opportunity cost and the 200 shields for the wonder.
realpolitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2002, 10:12   #115
deanrasche
Settler

I just found this thread....
First off, great advice on the use of armies here. I really like the feint strategy and can't wait to use it with defunct armies...
In the games I've been playing, one of the start units has been changed to a leader for players 1-8. Personally, I've used the GL for a very early wonder to build culture, either as soon as I get the tech I want or in my second city as soon as it was built. In my last game, (monarch-16civs-Japan-conquest-2150 or so final) I used it for the pyramids as soon as I got the tech. I played with elites having 6 hp, so it was even more advantageous to me to have them. I got more soon, as I eliminated two nearby civs early on, and used one for an army, mostly so I could build the epic and academy. Later in the game, I had armise sitting around with nothing to do and no units in them, because I left my "academy city" on build army. This was basically so I could fill them with modern armor if I needed because I was basically dominating anyway.... Just my experience...
deanrasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2002, 20:06   #116
The_Hawk
Chieftain

I am envious of all of this talk about GLs, especially in the ancient era or even the Middle Ages. Rpodos, are you playing a Civ with the militaristic trait? If so, then I can see it. I've played with either Egypt or France and I NEVER get an army until at LEAST the Industrial Age (mostly I get it in the Modern Area). And I do my fare share of attacking, especially when i'm making a play on owning my own continent. Is there anyone out there who is playing without the military trait who is getting GLs early? If so, I would love to hear what you do...
The_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2002, 21:42   #117
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Hi Hawk, it's me, Theseus / rpodos.

While I do get more GLs playing militaristic, I can generate a fair amount otherswise as well, although usually not in the Ancient era.

Overall tips:

* Whack an AI civ upside the head as early as possible. There seems to be an "aggression flag" that can be triggered very early, making the game much more militarily oriented (and thus the AI civs produce many more training tools for you).

* Where possible, hit enemy units in the open field... create killzones for easier wins.

* It's all about your elites, baby... use your weakest units first, even if it sometimes gives the enemy a promotion. Check out the Calculator, and play with the odds between a 5hp attacker and a 2-3 hp defender. That said, try to use the same vets again and again to get them up to elite.

* Be careful when mass upgrading units... in many cases, keep strong-enough elites as they are, and upgrade them for instant healing. My favorite example of this is all the Knight-class unit... until Rifleman, they are strong enough to take out any damaged defender.

* Read Arrian's posts... he's gotten obsessed with GLs.

* Lastly: I forget who came up with this, but there are tactics specifically focused in GL generation. For instance, if at early war with a not-too-threatening AI civ, send out an Archer with a Spearman... use that Archer again and again out in the field, protecting it with the Spearman. I'm gonna try variants of this in AU 101.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old July 15, 2002, 21:45   #118
Theseus
Emperor

Oh, also, Arrian pointed out once that as I was using large maps and slowmovers, the AI civs had an opportunity to build many more units for me to... ummm... train with.

Big wars = GLs.

Old July 16, 2002, 09:11   #119
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Just in case you don't know about it, be aware that you can only generate 1 Great Leader per elite unit. Upgrading the unit drops it to veteran and resets it. In other words, if you get a GL from a horseman, yank him from the front and hold him back until you have chivalry. Then upgrade him and send him off again. If it's a swordsmen, you can disband him for the shields.

I'm still trying to perfect GL generation in the early game (when it matters most). I used the archer/spearman team in one of my games (12 leaders total, 2-3 of them in ancient times), but I don't think the idea was mine. It just so happened that the English were dumb enough to send out 1 archer at a time for my elite archer to kill.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2002, 14:37   #120
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 16:22
rpodos / Theseus, Great thread! I wish I had found this one earlier. I've found that my Army strat is very similar to the one you listed here. My only problem is that it has taken me several (many, many, many) game's worth of experimentation to discover this. However, after all of my experimentation, my strat re: GL's is along the same lines as yours.

What I'm trying to say is that your strat has been blindly and independantly tested and it works. Double-blind studies are enough for the FDA to approve a new drug for the masses. Your strat now has that same backing. I believe it can be safely verified as a 'good strategy'.

Arrian, Your advice on GL generating units is top-notch, and w/ the 1.29f patch the GL generating units can now be named. This makes it MUCH easier to keep track of units that have produced GL.
Edit: If the unit that makes the GL cannot be upgraded for a good while, he's usually the first 'member' of my Army. If he can be upgraded fairly soon, he gets first dibs on upgrading.

The ? about Armys generating GL's has been asked in this thread, but not yet answered. (It has been answered in other threads.) The answer is 'NO.' Only single, elite units can produce GL's. Armies cannot.

Last edited by steven8r; August 7, 2002 at 15:25.
steven8r is offline   Reply With Quote