Old September 28, 2003, 14:03   #151
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
The success rate is too high, yes?

I am of the believe that not all city defense modifiers work against amphib attack, although I have not tested this nor do I recall anyone else doing so.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2003, 14:07   #152
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

I am of the believe that not all city defense modifiers work against amphib attack, although I have not tested this nor do I recall anyone else doing so.
hi ,

yes and no , at one time a berserker or three ( elite ) lost against one pikeman , ......

should a coastal fort double the rate against an amph attack , .....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2003, 15:38   #153
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:22
Quote:
For Conquests, it has been stated that Marines would get an advantage in amphibious assaults. Is it possible the advantage was implemented into PTW 1.27??
My amphib assaults have also been surprisingly successful with 1.27.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 21:53   #154
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 23:22
I've been looking over this thread and there is tons of great info. Thought it deserved a bump.

I'm also interested in how the changes in C3C have affected peoples use of armies. I had never really used armies before C3C but am really enjoying their capabilities now.
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 22:57   #155
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Of few of us used them before, but they were harder to come by. Now the MGL can be use with out much pain, before a leader would be needed for a great wonder.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 23:46   #156
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I've been planning on re-visiting this... waiting for the C3C patch to start playing in earnest, and thus re-examining Army issues.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old December 18, 2003, 17:50   #157
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:22
I'm another one that didn't have much interest in armies prior to C3C but loves them now. Before, I hated how if I combined four units into an army, I often just got one attack instead of four. But with the extra movement point for armies in C3C, the worst case is two attacks with an army where four with individual units would be possible. With the greater power and survivability of armies compared with separate units, that is a good trade.

A less obvious difference is in how armies heal. Before, the benefit of healing all damage in a single turn in a city with a barracks did not apply to armies. Now it does. So not only can armies attack more when they're healthy, but they spend less time healing than they did in the previous version.

And then there are those four-movement-point-away cities that used to require positioning forces one turn and attacking the next. With an adequate number of MA armies, those cities are now in range to be taken in a single turn.

Before, I didn't regard building a Military Academy to crank out armies as all that big a deal. But now it's a very definite priority (although the armies tend to sit empty for a long time waiting for MAs to fill them).

Nathan
nbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 20:16   #158
Theseus
Emperor

Nathan, Nathan, Nathan... not interested in Armies? FOR SHAME!!

They are pretty insane now. I haven;t played epic enough, but I've been daydreaming (a LOT) about how the added movement changes their use. Slowmovers mixed and defensive Armies keep up with Knight-level and Tank-level units... hmmm. 3xKnight Armies... yeah, I'd still use up some Cavs there. 3xCav Armies should NEVER be polluted with a 2-mover... save'em for MA adds.

And don;t forget free pillaging!!

Don;t just let'em sit there, Nathan.

Old December 18, 2003, 20:42   #159
vmxa1
Deity

I am wondering if they will have to reconsider the army healing in such short time. It is so strong now.
Old December 19, 2003, 01:37   #160
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:22
Quote:
I haven;t played epic enough, but I've been daydreaming (a LOT) about how the added movement changes their use. Slowmovers mixed and defensive Armies keep up with Knight-level and Tank-level units... hmmm. 3xKnight Armies... yeah, I'd still use up some Cavs there. 3xCav Armies should NEVER be polluted with a 2-mover... save'em for MA adds.

And don;t forget free pillaging!!

Don;t just let'em sit there, Nathan.
Theseus you are really missing out here! Stop daydreaming and PLAY! Stuff the corruption, FP and gpt things - play on Monarch or something. Sounds like you really long for armies in C3C - so don't wait for the patch! Play with the express purpose of checking out armies! One of my games was just that, and that is where I started to really witness their awesome power.

As one of my friends says to me frequently get over it and get on with it!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 01:47   #161
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:22
bah,

post-beta I have only played C3C for about 2 hours (Mayans, demigod, standard size). Sadly don't know when I'll bother to continue playing as I have other stuff to do and I am really looking forward for the patch.

Then again I am also looking forward to seeing a new Army in practice, maybe I'll try and get one and see how it goes, like WIA says.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 06:23   #162
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 22:22
A quick question for the Army experts.
In C3C, I loaded a 4xMarines Army in a Transport (capacity 6) and I added another Marine. Now the Transport is full.
Does the 4xArmy count as 5 or was I too tired that night to calculate 6-4-1=1 left?
Old December 19, 2003, 09:20   #163
geniemalin
Chieftain

Yes, a 4x Army counts as 5.

An Army (even with no units in it) always counts as one unit 'by itself' and each unit loaded into it counts normally.
geniemalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 13:33   #164
vmxa1
Deity

Look at it as having to haul the leader around. So you have the units in the army and the leader that created the army.
Old December 19, 2003, 15:50   #165
Theseus
Emperor

Not such an important point for Transports, but DEFINITELY something to keep in mind at Galleons and lower.

Old December 19, 2003, 16:38   #166
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Mr.WIA is right, T. Play around some, even if it's on a lower level.

Armies are so powerful now, and you like armies... you gotta toy around with 'em.

Hell, I even made a 3x archer army one time (3.1.2 if I understand the bonuses correctly). I had a 13hp mounted warrior with blitz ability.

Then there was my 4x infantry army, working in tandem with 3 4x cavalry armies. Remember "Fun and Games with Modern Armor?" It felt like that, in the early industrial age.

And I haven't played a militaristic civ since Conquests came out...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 16:55   #167
Orz
Chieftain

Army is a great thing and I think there are only a few Ancient/Medieval wonders I'd always prefer to an army...
Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 17:26   #168
Theseus
Emperor

Well, I was waiting for the patch.... I guess this weekend I'll screw around with a MIL civ in the ancient era.

Wanna guess who?

Old December 19, 2003, 17:34   #169
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Well, I was waiting for the patch.... I guess this weekend I'll screw around with a MIL civ in the ancient era.

Wanna guess who?
Scandinavia.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2003, 08:23   #170
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Rome!

/me suddenly realises how good a Legionary army would be.... 4/4/2

Old December 21, 2003, 14:48   #171
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Rome!

* MrWhereItsAt suddenly realises how good a Legionary army would be.... 4/4/2
Yes that's definitely a good army, but think about a 7/3/2 Berserk army with amphibious attack and blitz. There is absolutely nothing that could stand against it in it's age.

Theseus is well known for his love of Scandinavia. An army only makes them better now.
Old December 22, 2003, 12:12   #172
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 17:22
Bonuses? Theseus isn't the only one missing out here. I can already tell what my post-holiday weekends are going to be like.

/me drools on himself imagining 2-move 4xMarine Armies with this added offensive bonus.

There won't be a coastal city alive that can withstand my power.
"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a ***** because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and his penis pump and that all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on you because you forgot to carry the 1. All because you wanted to eat a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame."
- Doug Stanhope
Solomwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2003, 12:42   #173
radegast
Settler

I just finished a C3C game as Mogols (Militaristic Civ, yeah) on the largest map size and early on decided that the only victory condition for me was going to be Conquest. So I was very agressive (once in a position to do so, was very backward until chivalry), Long Live the Golden Horde, and ended up with an insane amount of Leaders/Armies/Elites. I'll admit I used the VP screen to keep below 66% territory and even built a number of useless cities within my borders to up the number of armies I could have/build.

My keshik armies were usefull to the end, even after MA arrived as their ignore hill/mountain allowed them into otherwise inaccessible places. My crusader army(!) was the perfect defensive unit for my massive artillery stacks, Cavalry armies can still finish off a well defended city once its been bombed to the red line, Tank and Mech infantry armies (either pure or mixed) are effective killers even against entrenched MI and MA armies are unstoppable.

With the extra movement point and blitz, armies become over-powered against the AI, it simply has no response or defence.

And I reckon I'd got about 30 of these things all lined up, 1/3 on attack, 1/3 moving into position, 1/3 healing.

How do you spell 'walkover'? Still, I did enjoy razing those 20-30 size cities full of French, Vikings and Romans!

I always carry a bottle of alcohol in case I should see a snake....which I also carry!
radegast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2003, 13:14   #174
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Hah I laugh at your cavalry armies, you should get yourself one of these.

Can attack any unit up to 9 tiles away in any direction. Can pillage 8 tiles each turn and can take a city with only 2 defenders from 6 tiles away...

I've just been pillaging the hell out of everyone as it's loads of fun, especially when they're in their GA.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	conq army2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	60208  
OPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2003, 00:22   #175
Theseus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill
Yes that's definitely a good army, but think about a 7/3/2 Berserk army with amphibious attack and blitz. There is absolutely nothing that could stand against it in it's age.

Theseus is well known for his love of Scandinavia. An army only makes them better now.
Correction, at 3xBerserk: 9/3/2, 2 move, blitz, AND amphib bonus.

I've been screwing around with a Scandy game, pre-patch... it is absurd.

I did some bad things... posts to follow over the next few days.

Old December 23, 2003, 01:23   #176
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Hah I laugh at your cavalry armies, you should get yourself one of these.

Can attack any unit up to 9 tiles away in any direction. Can pillage 8 tiles each turn and can take a city with only 2 defenders from 6 tiles away...

I've just been pillaging the hell out of everyone as it's loads of fun, especially when they're in their GA.
Not bad..... any more impressive, and possibly unconventional armies?

And Theseus - YAY for you playing with armies. And the patch is here, so no-one should feel any need to hold back now, for ANY reason.

Old December 23, 2003, 01:51   #177
Cerbykins
Warlord

On a quick note, Jaguar Warriors could make for a novel pick for an super-early army, if no-one's yet thought it up
(remembers seeing talk of Jag Warrior rushing somewhere )

Patch? Did someone say PATCH? I been waiting all day and all the week before it for this

-gone-
Old December 30, 2003, 17:31   #178
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Anyone not convinced about c3c armies might try a couple of turns of this game with, I think, six Rider armies runing amok in the middle ages. LoL
Attached Files:
File Type: sav mao of the chinese, 670 ad.sav (159.2 KB, 1 views)
jshelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 18:14   #179
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

I'm finally experimenting with the armies (didn't play too many pre-patch games) and I have two legionary armies in the Rise of Rome scenario. Whoo, between them those suckers have almost singlehandedly spelled the defeat of Carthage. As it stands currently they've spelled the defeat of 9 Carthaginian cities, about 7 elephants, 10 or so swordsmen, and at least 20 Numidians/Spearmen. All for two armies with a combined total of six legionary units, and some judicious use of healing and a few supporting legions.
Old December 30, 2003, 18:15   #180
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

BTW, I used to hate "wasting" a great leader on an army in PTW. No longer in Conquests.