Old March 31, 2002, 17:11   #1
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 22:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How operate cruise missile?
I can move my cruise missile from city to city (my own) but I can't see how to make it bombard enemy cities. When I put my cursor on a target, it appears that I can only bombard one tile away. What use is that? Am I supposed to operate it out of an aircraft carrier? That doesn't sound much better.

What am I doing wrong?
Old March 31, 2002, 17:25   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:24
Press the Bombard Button. The range will then be displayed as a red grid. The range is 2. They are not long range, but they are lethal. They can kill units, unlike other bombardment.
Old March 31, 2002, 18:15   #3
MyOlde
Prince

So you're not bombarding city-to-city but protecting your own city from invaders.

Can you put it on a carrier?
Old March 31, 2002, 18:25   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You can move them along RR anywhere within your empire or neutral territory, then launch them. So yes, you can skate them up to the border and target cities with them if the enemy city is close enough to the border.

No to the Carrier, but yes to Nuc Subs. They would make a nasty hole in the ground in an enemy city for your Marines to occupy so that you can disembark your Tanks in the now occupied city and *blitz* on to another enemy city, all in the same turn. If you have enough of them and enough Nuc Subs.
Old March 31, 2002, 19:44   #5
MyOlde
Prince

Thanks for the help.
Old March 31, 2002, 19:48   #6
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
Is there a way to move them across the ocean?
Old March 31, 2002, 19:53   #7
notyoueither
Deity

Uhhh, carry them in a Nuc Sub?

Other than that, no. They, like Arty, Settlers and Workers must have boats. No, I don't believe you can carry them on a transport.

Last edited by notyoueither; March 31, 2002 at 22:26.
Old March 31, 2002, 20:43   #8
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Umm, how to use cruise missiles, lets see.

First, move them into a city.
Then, press D.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old March 31, 2002, 20:56   #9
notyoueither
Deity

JW. Can't you find a use for units that have twice the bombard of BB and Bomber and can kill units? I know I can, but to each their own
Old March 31, 2002, 21:05   #10
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Sorry, I just have to poke fun at the Cruise Missile. Its too fun.
Old March 31, 2002, 21:34   #11
hitchikingalaxy
Settler

just for the record i have put a cruise missile on a transport, but i was not able to fire it until i had unloaded it.
Old March 31, 2002, 22:29   #12
notyoueither
Deity

I stand corrected. I guess you can load 8 up on a transport. I've never tried.

I use them mostly for defence, and a little on offence loaded on Nuc Subs.
Old April 1, 2002, 10:50   #13
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by hitchikingalaxy
just for the record i have put a cruise missile on a transport, but i was not able to fire it until i had unloaded it.
How did you get it onto a transport? In my game, when I have a cruise missle in the same city as a transport there is no "Load" button when the cruise missle is active.
Old April 2, 2002, 01:00   #14
notyoueither
Deity

I'm on crack.

Cruise Missiles cannot load on anything by the default rules. You have to mod the game to get them to.

I was putzing around with the editor and fracked up. So I restored to the back up I made from the latest patch. Started playing. So now I have a Nuc Sub. Great! Let's load a Cruise or 2 and go cruising.

No go. The Cruise does not have Tactical Missile characteristic by default. Nor does it have the Load ability checked.

Sorry for the bogus lead. I do not remember editing it so that it could. I must have saved when I didn't mean to on an earlier *putzing* adventure. I've been listening to korn and others for so long I came to think it was the original intent. Not blaming korn though. I'm the idiot, shoot me.

BTW. It can't be carried on Transports either.

You would think I'd know what should be what. I've been religiously avoiding modding so that I can play the game the way the pulishers intended it until they are done. Trying to be in a position to give more applicable comment.

Oh well. Credibility isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The stuff I said about using them defensively is true though. Honest. You can trust me.

: Departs to find manual on self-flagellation: