Old March 31, 2002, 22:02   #1
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 16:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Let's preemptively guess bad suggestions for Civ4!
I thought of this today, and figured it would be really easy to come up with funny ones, but it's kind of hard...

Some have said that Civ3's faults are in fact things that people asked for, and that's what's gotten me thinking.

I'll take a stab at a few:

RELIGION. Every civ has their own religion, but you can convert AI cities to your religion by using a Diplomat-like "Cleric" or "Missionary" unit. A stealth unit...?

ECONOMIC WARFARE. AKA Corporate Branches. Every city's trade is controlled by some nation, you build Merchant units (equivalent to Clerics) to steal cities' economic control.

EU-STYLE MERCHANTS. Your cities have to keep churning out Merchants, and you have to remember to deploy them, or all the other civs will get your trade. (Eventually you can give up and set them to auto-deploy, in which case the AI Governor will send them all to Venice.)

RELIGION. It works like culture, except more religion-specific improvements are added to the game. There is a "Religion Victory" but if you have a high religion score, AI players with similarly high scores hate you.

TERRAFORMING. You should be able to build polders, like the Dutch, and expand your land out into the sea. You should be able to level mountains and hills. And you should be able to build cities underwater and base air units there.

CIV-SPECIFIC TECH TREES. This could go hand-in-hand with more UU's (Jaguar Paratrooper, Mechanized Chariot) and also unique Improvements (Japanese Zaibatsu replaces Bank, American McDonald's replaces Cathedral, etc). Your strategy is completely different based on what civ you play.

CIV "CANADIANS." It's time. A large segment of the market would like to play as Canadians.

SLAVERY. Your Slaver unit steals population and drops it in your own cities. It's like Merchants or Corporate Branches, except the means of production actually moves.

A MORE DETAILED RESOURCE SYSTEM. Specifically, let's go back to Colonization, where you manually decide production, and which product will go on which boat. There will be new improvements like "Rum Distillery," "Rum Factory," and "Fur Trader's Hut." Civ will finally have Tobacco.

AIs WITHIN YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT TO INTERACT WITH. For instance, if you have "French Fifth Republic" form of government, you have to conduct diplomacy with the premier ministre, Lionel Jospin. And maybe you can actually be beaten by him in a presidential election. And your people will riot, and you'll have to make concessions to them, or send in the army (who may or may not listen to you) to silence them!

ELIMINATE ICS's ADVANTAGES. Once and for all, there should be no advantage to spreading your population all over the earth, as opposed to keeping them confined to one city. Ireland should be a viable player.

REALISTIC POPULATION GROWTH. In the modern era, the world population (yes, in terms of the numbers written next to the cities) should double every 20 turns or so.

64 CIVS AT ONCE, AND 1000X1000 MAPS. Actually, the maps should be hex-based, and globe-shaped.

That's all I got. Comments? Additions?

Incidentally, before Civ3 came out, the two things I most wanted in Civ2 (besides a better AI) were Ethnicity (city's memory of who owned them) and Industrialization (a better simulation of which would still be cool...).

Miznia
Old March 31, 2002, 22:13   #2
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 17:25
Your map size would take an hour between turns even in the Ancient Period!

My reaction to all the suggestions is that some are interesting, but Firaxis got so many basic things dead wrong in Civ III that they had better work on the BASICS first - such as a rational Diplomatic AI; sensible unit values; no Culture Flipping cities and vanishing garrisons, and assorted bugs.

After Firaxis gets Civ III right (no doubt they will charge us another $50) THEN they can work on new stuff.
Old March 31, 2002, 22:44   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
After Firaxis gets Civ III right (no doubt they will charge us another $50) THEN they can work on new stuff.
And some people wonder why there are complainers. Having a hard time figuring out the game too, eh?

After you understand this thread right, THEN you should be allowed to continue posting. But not before then.

/On Topic

I want the Atlantis Civ. UU is Tritons (the man fish, not the sub).

Natural Catastrophes. *Boom* I guess you shouldn't have built your capital near a mountain. Don't worry, you can develop the Archeology Tech. For every city you have had sunk under the waves or buried by volcanic ash you earn extra culture.
Old March 31, 2002, 22:56   #4
Thrawn05
King

And package it all in a tin box with a ticket that lets you get 100 free post counts at aployton.net!
Old March 31, 2002, 23:32   #5
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

How about a game that Sid actually works on?
Old March 31, 2002, 23:39   #6
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:25
Heck I'ld take Brian Reynolds!!!

But most importantly a spell checked Civilopedia!!

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; March 31, 2002 at 23:52.
Old March 31, 2002, 23:45   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
how about a 'better' but more complicated pathfinder alghoritm
Old April 1, 2002, 10:54   #8
Thrawn05
King

Civ4 will in DOS. That's a true gammer's OS.
Old April 1, 2002, 11:29   #9
TheDarkCavalier
Warlord

Local Time: 14:25
Seems that Sid has amde the game to be as much slower and harder as possible, and as much features as possible... so Sid lemme give you a few tips...

1. How about Speed settings?

Slow.
Really Slow.
Pathetically Slow.
MEGA Slow.
@#$%&* SLOW!!!

2. New maps (delete Tiny, Small and Normal, and make Huge, Giganticand and Humongous) also, the Sid made scenarios should the player with no resources on a small island and have all the AI on hugeislands with lots resources and luxuries...

3. AI players start with all traits and have 5 unique units with +5 to each stat.

4. No longer battles are randomized... AI wins each and every one, (what if the stone age warrior's axe hit the Modern armor's cannon and broke it?)

5. We don't have MP, so you could make an emulation - AI players would call you names, suddenly gang up on you for no particular reason, and say "You don't touch that city you ...................... or I'm gonna kick your .............. ass!!!"

6. How about more Strategic resources? You have Aluminium, why not have Wood, or Stone etc. ?

7. MORE CIVS!!! Canadians, Zimbabaweians, Ugandians, Ruandians, etc.. etc...

8. More TECHS!!! Fast food, Cable television, etc... etc...

9. MORE IMPROVEMENTS!!! Fast food restaurant, Shopping mall... etc... etc...

You should really pay attention to those, Sid!
Old April 1, 2002, 14:19   #10
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDarkCavalier
Seems that Sid has amde the game to be as much slower and harder as possible, and as much features as possible... so Sid lemme give you a few tips...

1. How about Speed settings?

Slow.
Really Slow.
Pathetically Slow.
MEGA Slow.
@#$%&* SLOW!!!

2. New maps (delete Tiny, Small and Normal, and make Huge, Giganticand and Humongous) also, the Sid made scenarios should the player with no resources on a small island and have all the AI on hugeislands with lots resources and luxuries...

3. AI players start with all traits and have 5 unique units with +5 to each stat.

4. No longer battles are randomized... AI wins each and every one, (what if the stone age warrior's axe hit the Modern armor's cannon and broke it?)

5. We don't have MP, so you could make an emulation - AI players would call you names, suddenly gang up on you for no particular reason, and say "You don't touch that city you ...................... or I'm gonna kick your .............. ass!!!"

6. How about more Strategic resources? You have Aluminium, why not have Wood, or Stone etc. ?

7. MORE CIVS!!! Canadians, Zimbabaweians, Ugandians, Ruandians, etc.. etc...

8. More TECHS!!! Fast food, Cable television, etc... etc...

9. MORE IMPROVEMENTS!!! Fast food restaurant, Shopping mall... etc... etc...

You should really pay attention to those, Sid!

Sounds more like Civ3 IMHO.

Old April 1, 2002, 15:57   #11
Miznia
Warlord

Alright, I did some thinking overnight. Here are a few more. In general, I think these are better than my first batch:

ENHANCED CITY VIEW. It should be 3D, and you should be able to watch the traffic like in SimCity, and see what areas are not getting power. It should be like a game within a game.

MORE MARKETABLE CIVS. Besides “Canadians,” there should be a “Europeans” EU civ that starts out in Belgium, for the European audience (same culture group as French and Germans). “Cubans” headed by Castro will be popular. Also an “Arabs” civ headed by Muhammad with his face blurred out (to be respectful). (Oh: “mail anthrax to senator” espionage option.)

RELIGION (part 3). Occasionally, at random, a religious leader (Jesus, Zarathustra, Buddha, Oprah, etc) will appear and run around your empire, converting people and throwing your cities into civil disorder. But if you capture and crucify him, then your civ gets to run that religion.

ALIEN SPIES. Malevolent aliens will periodically place spies in your cities. You have to remember to click on your cities and check on them, from time to time, to make sure you don’t have any. If you see one, just click to get him.

ALTERNATIVE FUTURES (aka “movie tie-ins”). There should be a “SkyNet” small wonder that lets you build robot units, but then it gets out of control and becomes a big war of all the remaining civs vs. the robots. You have to capture an Arnold unit, invent time travel (or steal it), and go back in time to sabotage construction of SkyNet, and also protect your own mother.

ALTERNATIVE FUTURES (part 2). Now and then a big asteroid will be headed for earth (starting ~1500 AD on Deity). If nobody can build space ships by that time, humanity is destroyed. (It’s to punish the players for being lax on science prod.)

UNIT WORKSHOP. To deter casual gamers and multiply strategic options. It no longer has to be a TRIreme, it can just be a bireme.

MAGIC. It’s time for Civ to have magic, such as a Wizard unit, or else in the form of spells cast by the leader himself (think Black & White?). You need to build “Merlin’s Castle” small wonder, or something, to be able to use magic. Expires with Steam Engine.

SEXIEST CIV YET. All civ leaders should be attractive babes. (Use “Tokugawa’s Daughter” or “Lincoln’s Daughter” if necessary.) Add Korean, Hong Kong, and Taiwanese civs to up the “Asian factor.” German leader is still Hitler.

SEXIEST CIV YET (part 2). New government “Matriarchy” with topless Amazon units (see CTP2 files section). (er, actually is this a bad suggestion?)

AGRICULTURAL MICROMANAGEMENT. You get to take into account weather, precipitation, soil type, and crop type in order to maximize your food output and thus population growth. “Famine” disaster X 10. (Naturally, the automated governor, “AutoPlow,” will forget to rotate crops, so you will have to learn the system yourself.)

STUDENT PROTESTS. Universities have a side-effect in that now and then, rioting students will put the city into civil disorder for a turn or two. Effect doubled for city with Newton’s College.

“WOOD” STRATEGIC RESOURCE. In order to build improvements, you have to have trees (forest) somewhere in your territory, connected by road to your capital, or else import them through a Harbor. You have to keep deforesting to get the wood, and then replant the trees. (Automated workers may or may not be trustworthy.)

CIV-SPECIFIC WONDERS. Certain Wonders that only certain civs can build; e.g., Pyramids can only by built by Egyptians, Great Wall by China, Eiffel Tower by French... Adds strategy to civ-selection.

Last edited by Miznia; April 1, 2002 at 17:21.
Old April 1, 2002, 16:00   #12
Miznia
Warlord

If you see one, just click to get him.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	aliennn.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	12359  
Old April 1, 2002, 16:34   #13
awesomedude
Chieftain

Old April 1, 2002, 17:00   #14
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Miznia
RELIGION (part 3). Occasionally, at random, a religious leader (Jesus, Zarathustra, Buddha, Oprah, etc) will appear and run around your empire, converting people and throwing your cities into civil disorder. But if you capture and crucify him, then your civ gets to run that religion.
Old April 1, 2002, 17:04   #15
Thrawn05
King

Are you getting all of this down Firaxis?
Old April 1, 2002, 17:41   #16
Miznia
Warlord

Quote:
Are you getting all of this down Firaxis?
Well, they'll take a couple of things from it, like they did for Civ3. Since it's unlikely that "The List" for Civ4 will differ much from mine, are there any guesses as to which they'll implement...?

I think we'll definitely see topless units, and more intricate farming.
Old April 1, 2002, 21:30   #17
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
I think we'll definitely see topless units...
For an extra $20, you get an adult Civ4 version.
Old April 1, 2002, 22:52   #18
Goatguy
Settler

Quote:
SEXIEST CIV YET:German leader is still Hitler.
Wow...just watching about that on the history channel Kinda freaky, he didnt really like his babes.

GO INDIANA- right now: 12:02 left (1st half) 21-11
Old April 2, 2002, 08:06   #19
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Miznia,
you might like this thread then , but on the other hand maybe you should stick to what you prefer?here
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; April 2, 2002 at 08:30.
Old April 2, 2002, 11:13   #20
Miznia
Warlord

(I'll check that thread out, Child o' Thor)

A PROPHETIC GLIMPSE OF CIV4
(aka Joan X 10)

Tokugawa's Daughter, and Mao's Daughter. (Portrayed by Mamika Shimada and Harumi Inoue respectively.)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tokugawa.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	12408  
Old April 2, 2002, 11:14   #21
Miznia
Warlord

(Mao's Daughter)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mao.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	12409  
Old April 2, 2002, 11:56   #22
Goatguy
Settler

!??!
Where did you get those pictures from in WISCONSIN?!!??!?!
Old April 2, 2002, 12:00   #23
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, we're going to have the usual unreasonable request brigade.

Civ 4 should have better AI!
Civ 4 shouldn't have any bugs at all!
Civ 4 should be fully customizable down to every single bit!

But paradoxically

Civ 4 should be ready by Christmas 2002!

Then we'll have the c00l brigade:

Wouldn't it be c00l if Civ4 was in real time?
Wouldn't it be c00l if Civ4 went far far into the future?
Wouldn't it be c00l if Civ4 started, like, million years in the past?
Wouldn't it be c00l if you could, like, step down from your throne and adventure and, like, slay dragons and rescue princesses, and it would all be part of your score?
Wouldn't it be c00l if we had Canadians?

Not to forget people who like these radical sweeping changes:

Civ 4 shouldn't have cities! All squares just have populations and so on!
Civ 4 shouldn't have units! Armies should have real sizes!
Civ 4 should track every citizen's ethnic origin, so we can deal with 60% Zulus-30% Americans-10%Romans!
Civ 4 should have realistic leaders and dynasties, except for that part where leader realisitcally dies after 2 turns!
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old April 2, 2002, 14:49   #24
CCJames
Settler

Quote:
This made me laugh really hard. Thankyou.
Once I had an elf-friend. Then one day this kid stared at my elf-friend. And my elf-friend ran off. And then I took my flame-thrower out of my holster and torched that kid. So I guess the lesson of that story would be not to mess with my elf-friends. At least, it would be, if the story had a lesson. It doesn't.
Old April 2, 2002, 14:59   #25
Miznia
Warlord

>> Where did you get those pictures from in WISCONSIN?!!?

This is a campus! I just download them using my lightning-fast internet access privileges! (I don't even think I had to search in Japanese, to find those two pics.)

>> For an extra $20, you get an adult Civ4 version.

Actually, I hope they're already working on topless units for the XP. Next patch even, maybe?

>> Civ 4 should have better AI!

I would mostly like the AI to have deeper "diplomatic conscience," and have opinions on the good/bad of wars or alliances, etc., between other players. The AI's Balance of Power concerns should make a conquest victory very hard.

I don't like the "radical sweeping changes" category. I know their aim is increased realism, but I want a game simple enough that I can predict what will happen in hypothetical situations (I have a very hard time doing this in EU, for instance). Also, a lot of these changes mean more clicking for the user (sending merchants! rotating crops! ). I want to concentrate on the highest-level decisions, and play a game in an afternoon (which is why Civ1 is still awesome).
Old April 2, 2002, 15:06   #26
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

bad suggestions:

bring back the caravan! I want to have hundreds of those things wandering the empire, and let me exploit them to get wonders in one turn!

bring back spies: I want to purchase a rivals empire city by city!

bring back the ability to destroy a stack of units by destroying the best defender!

bring back the zone of control of Civ2: I want to have my army of knights prevented from moving due to a phalanx on a nearby mountain!

etc.
Old April 2, 2002, 17:00   #27
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 14:25
1) More corruption. Your 2nd city should have 99% corruption. It will take 40 turns to build a warrior. The AI will have no corruption to make the game fair.

2) Add bars and brothels as city improvements to increase happiness.

3) Heroin will trade for 1000 plus 100 per turn until you have no money. Then your city improvements will be sold to trade for more heroin. The AI will pay for its heroin by taking from your treasury.

4) On Deity the AI will start with 50 cities, tanks, and nuclear weapons. Lets see if Vel can write a strategy guide for this

5) The game will be released when the first line of code is complete. It will cost $100.00 unless you want a special addition that comes with a lamented cardboard box $150.00. Patches will be released yearly or when the 2nd line of code is finished, whichever takes longer.
Old April 2, 2002, 19:55   #28
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
bring back the caravan! I want to have hundreds of those things wandering the empire, and let me exploit them to get wonders in one turn!
This is exactly why I skiped to Civ3. It just getting dull and boring send 100s of caravans to other cities for like 3 gold.
Old April 2, 2002, 19:58   #29
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
3) Heroin will trade for 1000 plus 100 per turn until you have no money. Then your city improvements will be sold to trade for more heroin. The AI will pay for its heroin by taking from your treasury.
And convert cities who's civ is having a war on drugs!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
4) On Deity the AI will start with 50 cities, tanks, and nuclear weapons. Lets see if Vel can write a strategy guide for this
I think he could. Vel could write a strategy on how to get Bin Laden in less then 5 hours given the chance!
Old April 2, 2002, 22:56   #30
Changmai Beagle
Warlord

Local Time: 15:25
Location: Corporate Warlord of the Great White North & Warmer Climes
Cool New Game
Actually I kind of like some of the suggestions........... I could really get into a game of mixed CTP, Colonization, MOM and EU - and perhaps even finish it this year. (Anyone remember the huge and detailed board game War in the Pacific?)

Especially if we combined some - How about topless Canadians? Since it's April and still -19 celcius here this morning, that may be something we don't see elsewhere this summer.