Old April 5, 2002, 19:13   #61
Vetinari
Settler

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
At the begining of every turn the domestic advisor should inform you of every single town that is not producing longbowmen and ask you why you don't, in fact, produce longbowmen in this town. If you tell her that you want to produce something else she will check with you again at the end of your turn just to make sure. The default answer to the question should of course be "switch to longbowmen immediately"

The military advisor should be allowed to declare war.

Instead of building wonders the normal way you should be asked to guess a number between 1 and 10. If you guess is correct you get the wonder. This will help civilizations with bad ifrastructure from falling too far behind in the wonder race. It also adds to the randomness of the game, which is good.

All battles should be fought with rock-paper-scissors contests. THis will help scientifically disadvataged civs from falling too far behind.

Whenever you win a battle you gain a "civ-card". These cards can be traded with the ai. They can also be traded/sold onlide with other players. The civ-cards has no effect on gameplay.

Capture the flag win should also be possible

Each civ should be led by the most famous pop singer from that country: America should thus be led by Britney Spears, England by Robbie Williams etc. This will help selling the game to players who would otherwise not consider buying it. A version for younger players should also be available with leaders such as Teletubbies, Barney the Dinosaur, Tellevinken (swedish hand doll, very popular in the 80s)

Other than the existing advisors you should also have a jester who suggests crazy ideas every now and then. He should also tell you a bad jokes every five turns (to save space on the cd, only 4-5 jokes needs to exist. Prefferably, all of them should start out with "Waiter, there is a fly in my soup") This will lighten up the game considerably.
Old April 5, 2002, 19:33   #62
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010

Vetinari

I want SS Muppets for advisors.

Domestic is BigBird
Trade is Count Count
Culture is Burt
Military is Oscar
Science is Ernie

[Edit] On second thought, and having forgotten Foreign the first time...

Domestic is BigBird
Trade is Count Count
Military is CookieMonster *Me want resourses, NOWWWW!*
Foreign is Oscar
Culture is Burt
Science is Ernie

Yes, thats much better. [/Edit]

Last edited by notyoueither; April 6, 2002 at 01:38.
Old April 5, 2002, 19:52   #63
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 18:25
Bolster the attack value of the weak Mounted Warrior

Great Leaders should both be more powerful and more random.
Old April 5, 2002, 19:58   #64
Miznia
Warlord

Quote:
At the begining of every turn the domestic advisor should inform you of every single town that is not producing longbowmen and ask you why you don't, in fact, produce longbowmen in this town. If you tell her that you want to produce something else she will check with you again at the end of your turn just to make sure.
Ack, no, I want the multiple confirmations to come at the same time! Less confusing!

Quote:
That would be ok, provided he moves the units, too. But he should consult with the foreign advisor first, to find out who we like the least. And it should all be a check-able option. (Eliminates micromanagement, helps newbies out.)

Quote:
Other than the existing advisors you should also have a jester
He should come up now and then, *instead* of a normal advisor, except the default response should be messed with (e.g. default is "declare war," "raze city"). If a player is caught off-guard now and then, it will help the AI keep up.

Dom Pedro:
Quote:
Some of you seem like the real hardcore players... you'll only be happy if civilization is stripped down to the point where it features two monochrome paddles batting a little 4-bit "ball" on a black background.
A ball? That sounds like a "wouldn't it be cool" suggestion...

Miznia

P.S.: I have achieved Warlord status.

Last edited by Miznia; April 5, 2002 at 20:31.
Old April 6, 2002, 00:26   #65
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 22:25
i l;ike the natural wonders i think it's a great idea.
Old April 6, 2002, 00:52   #66
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:25
I think that you should have the ability to name the citizens in your cities. Like you could name the unhappy people jimmytrick or coracle or yin26, etc. And then draft them into the military.
Old April 6, 2002, 01:27   #67
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 14:25

Thanks a lot!
I needed this after the Civ3 is too American thread.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old April 7, 2002, 20:20   #68
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
I want to name my ships ... it would be great watching the battleship "SS Minnow" sinking enemy ships ....
Old April 8, 2002, 18:16   #69
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

There should be an activated "Dark Age" similar to the "Golden Age" for each civ. Triggered whenever one of your UUs loses a battle, or you build any wonder that has nothing to do whatsoever with your civilization traits, a dark age would result in all your production halved and corruption doubled. In addition, your capital would be sacked by barbarians (or, if no barbarians are present, sack itself) and most of your cities would randomly defect to other civs. As a final insult, all those barbarian warriors wandering about would have attack and defense values of 20 during the dark age, but only with respect to you.

The dark age lasts for 20 turns, or until you quit in disgust (the far more likely situation).
Old April 8, 2002, 18:21   #70
SKILORD
King

how about having great tragedies; that appear randomly, tthe opposite of wonders: ie; Sept 11, Random Capital movement (ala Constatine(i know that wasn't random)) theid be randomly generated whenever a civ gets too strong.
Old April 8, 2002, 18:47   #71
Steve Clark
King

bad/unrealistic ideas for a Civ game? That's easy...

http://apolyton.net/civ3/suggestions/thelist

Old April 8, 2002, 20:17   #72
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vetinari
At the begining of every turn the domestic advisor should inform you of every single town that is not producing longbowmen and ask you why you don't, in fact, produce longbowmen in this town. If you tell her that you want to produce something else she will check with you again at the end of your turn just to make sure. The default answer to the question should of course be "switch to longbowmen immediately"

Instead of building wonders the normal way you should be asked to guess a number between 1 and 10. If you guess is correct you get the wonder. This will help civilizations with bad ifrastructure from falling too far behind in the wonder race. It also adds to the randomness of the game, which is good.

All battles should be fought with rock-paper-scissors contests. THis will help scientifically disadvataged civs from falling too far behind.

Whenever you win a battle you gain a "civ-card". These cards can be traded with the ai. They can also be traded/sold onlide with other players. The civ-cards has no effect on gameplay.

Capture the flag win should also be possible

Each civ should be led by the most famous pop singer from that country: America should thus be led by Britney Spears, England by Robbie Williams etc. This will help selling the game to players who would otherwise not consider buying it. A version for younger players should also be available with leaders such as Teletubbies, Barney the Dinosaur, Tellevinken (swedish hand doll, very popular in the 80s)

Other than the existing advisors you should also have a jester who suggests crazy ideas every now and then. He should also tell you a bad jokes every five turns (to save space on the cd, only 4-5 jokes needs to exist. Prefferably, all of them should start out with "Waiter, there is a fly in my soup") This will lighten up the game considerably.

We'll know who to blame if any of this is implemented (and given the current state of the game who knows what'll happen)
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 16, 2002, 05:50   #73
Hurricane
Warlord

More easy-to-remember keyboard shortcuts. For example:

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-J: Move stack excluding units inside armies

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-U: Automatically move all obsolete units to the nearest city with barracks and auto-upgrade when unit arrives at destination. Then unit automatically moves back to city of origin.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-I: Improve terrain without altering existing improvements except mines->irrigation on plains, don´t build railroads in forests and focus on connecting all cities with roads.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-WINKEY-I: Same as above but don´t improve inside foreign territory, no matter what.

F: Fortify unit for 5 rounds.

CTRL-F: Fortify unit for 10 rounds.

CTRL-SHIFT-F: Fortify unit for 15 rounds.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-F: Fortify unit.
Old April 16, 2002, 08:59   #74
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-U: Automatically move all obsolete units to the nearest city with barracks and auto-upgrade when unit arrives at destination. Then unit automatically moves back to city of origin.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-I: Improve terrain without altering existing improvements except mines->irrigation on plains, don´t build railroads in forests and focus on connecting all cities with roads.

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-WINKEY-I: Same as above but don´t improve inside foreign territory, no matter what.

Those are too easy you need combinations of CTRL-Shift-ALT-WINKEY-CAPSLOCK-NUMLOCK-UPARROW-DOWNARROW-BACKSPACE-INSERT- X

This means 11 keys and 10 fingers. You need to play with fingers and toes this way.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 16, 2002, 09:10   #75
SKILORD
King

how about adding immigration in there?
Old April 16, 2002, 10:14   #76
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

Hey, some of those are useful Ogie's suggestions, now those make sense!
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 16, 2002, 10:54   #77
Spec
Emperor

Well, I think everything was mentionned....and more.....but I think that when you choose the "view city" option it's really crappy. You should see houses, markets and stuff like that. Not 4 houses.......

Spec.
Old April 16, 2002, 11:05   #78
danimal
Chieftain

Real Wars have Prisoners
In Civ 4, we should have the ability to capture oposing forces and place them in prison. The prisoners could be used to negotiate peace...or you could even place cameras in the women's prison and sell movies of their erotic behavior to raise revenue.
Old April 16, 2002, 13:31   #79
lorddread
Warlord

A great idea for civ 4
You pay $54.99. You get , a beautifully decorated box, a detailed instruction manual, and another book on how to program, this way it is done ontime, on budget, and needs no patches.
Old April 16, 2002, 13:56   #80
Green Giant
Warlord

Re: A great idea for civ 4
Quote:
Originally posted by lorddread
You pay $54.99. You get , a beautifully decorated box, a detailed instruction manual, and another book on how to program, this way it is done ontime, on budget, and needs no patches.

-Revolutionary real time strategy with RPG elements!

-To reduce the complaints about combat, the player now wins every battle.

-Jar Jar Binks is your domestic advisor
Old April 17, 2002, 02:35   #81
Hurricane
Warlord

How about an A1 size tech tree chart included only as a PDF on the CD? This way you can print it out on 8 pieces of paper and patch them together with adhesive tape!

I also think the manual should include hundreds of pages about the real history of the different civs, their leaders and the units. 2-3 pages of actual rules should be plenty.

New patches should be released immediately when they find a typo in the civilopedia. A new patch every week will show Firaxis´commitment to the game!
Old April 17, 2002, 05:11   #82
Patashu
Warlord

Local Time: 08:25
When you buy the game, all you can see is the intro movies and the main menu. Then you need to wait for Firaxis to release a patch that lets you start up a game on a premade 10 X 10 map with one other player and take your first turn. Then you need to wait for Firaxis to release a patch with the AI that is really poorly made and just moves it's units in random directions and not actually do anything.

Grassland will be the only terrain to produce food(½ a unit of food ).

On chieftain all AI players surrender to you as soon as you build your first city.

At the end of your turn you will have to take out disk 1 and put in disk 2 so the AI will work, then put disk 1 back in to take your turn.

The barbarians will be replaced with aliens.

Finally, Grasslands are purple, oceans are yellow and plains are pink.