Old March 31, 2002, 21:49   #1
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 17:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The future of Firaxis Games?
Check out the following two news snippets I found at civfanatics in the last ten days or so:

Firaxis Games on Monday announced the appointment of Jonathan Plutzik as chairman of the board. Plutzik is retiring as vice chairman of Credit Suisse First Boston, a global investment bank based in New York, and will join Jeff Briggs, president and CEO, and Sid Meier, director of creative development, as Firaxis board members. Since joining CSFB in 1978, Plutzik has been one of the firm’s senior bankers responsible for building relationships with key clients. In particular, he established CSFB’s global leadership in demutualization, a wholesale transformation in corporate governance for many insurance companies.

Hunt Valley, Maryland – FIRAXIS Games, on the heels of the successful launches of Sid Meier’s Civilization III and Sid Meier’s SimGolf, proudly announces the hiring of industry veteran Steve Martin as Chief Operating Officer.
Steve comes to Firaxis from Absolute Quality, Inc. (AQI), a software testing and technical support interaction center, where as Co- Founder and Chief Financial & Administrative Officer he built AQI into a $10 million business, averaging greater than 100 growth each year. Prior to that Steve was the Controller for MicroProse Software, Inc., a $60M entertainment software developer in Hunt Valley, Maryland. As the Chief Operating Officer at Firaxis, Steve is responsible for the overall business operations of the company and reports to Firaxis’s board of directors.

“We’re very fortunate to have Steve on board, “said Jeff Briggs, Founder and CEO of Firaxis Games. “He brings a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience that will further strengthen our operations and add another level of depth to our already powerful team. “

These folks are not being hired for window dressing. What do you think Firaxis has in mind?
Old March 31, 2002, 22:24   #2
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 16:25
Quote:
These folks are not being hired for window dressing. What do you think Firaxis has in mind?
Civ4!!!
Old March 31, 2002, 22:31   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Civ/SMAC and back again. : Drool:
Old March 31, 2002, 22:51   #4
Thrawn05
King

At first, it sounded like Firaxis wanted to go into the banking business. But I relized they want to make a Civ4 with better control of your bank buildings.
Old March 31, 2002, 23:04   #5
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
At first, it sounded like Firaxis wanted to go into the banking business. But I relized they want to make a Civ4 with better control of your bank buildings.
ROFL...

watch out! in Civ 4, Plutzik is gonna be the "Trade advisor"... dont deny it.
Old March 31, 2002, 23:15   #6
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot

ROFL...

watch out! in Civ 4, Plutzik is gonna be the "Trade advisor"... dont deny it.
Better yet

On a serious note:

I was also thinking that firaxis might be looking for a new marketing system for any furture game releases.
Old March 31, 2002, 23:47   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
I was also thinking that firaxis might be looking for a new marketing system for any furture game releases.
maybe they need people to devise a campiagn that doesnt promise great things that aren't delivered
Old April 1, 2002, 03:14   #8
jackshot
Chieftain

Quote:
Bingo. That's exactly what this means.
Old April 1, 2002, 11:54   #9
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

better PR

Jon Miller
Old April 1, 2002, 13:54   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 06:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Chairman of the board has no real power, so Pluzik is just window dressing. However, it is possible for him to pull his connections if Firaxis needs loans. Maybe they are looking for a way to get away from Infogrames. I wouldn't blame them.

As for that Steve person, since he was from MicroProse it is not surprising that Sid got him back.

Since both are finance guys, hmm, interesting. Ah, I got it. <em>SimBank</em>
Old April 1, 2002, 19:17   #11
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 22:25
Hey, you're on to something. I would love to see Sid and Will put together a SimWallStreet....

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.