Old April 1, 2002, 18:39   #1
exsanguination
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
After much debate... (civ3 is NOT a history lesson!)
I've been checking out these boards (and civfanatics) a lot and participate actively... one thing i've seen very frequently is people b****ing about how "Civ3 isn't historically accurate". I highly doubt the aim of Sid Meier was to create a game in which you played out history word for word, action for action, person for person. The idea is to RECREATE history how YOU want it. Civ3 covers the most crucial aspects of history and keeps it accurate to the degree where fun can still happen! Seriously - what fun would it be if everything was exactly as history played out? Why don't we just watch a movie instead? I think civ3 is historically perfect. I can still make the Indians a military superpower or the Greeks a crumbling mess, while not building nukes in 4000 BC or researching smart weapons in 2750 BC. (another point: I've seen posts about how so and so researched space flight in 1750 bla bla bla... think about it: you just proved yourself a better ruler than the real ones - civ3 isn't to blame! ).

Anyways.. enough ranting for now... You may now approach me with loaded guns.
Old April 1, 2002, 19:02   #2
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 16:27
Wow, I've never heard that argument before!
Old April 1, 2002, 19:26   #3
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 23:27
I think you kinda missed the point of the 'Pro-historically accurate' arguments. It is not argued that events in Civilization should reflect events in real life, more that logic should play a larger part. One of the largest points made is the combat system.

Modern infantry have less than a 75% chance of victory against pre-bronze age spearmen in an open field.

A stone club-wielding caveman has a chance to defeat a Modern Tank, yet no air power on earth can *ever* destroy a galley.

The aformentioned caveman can concevebly circumnavigate the globe an infinite number of times in 1 year due to railroads, while it takes 20 years for a modern cruiser/destroyer/etc to accomplish it once.

There are a good deal of 'little' things like that which, when addressed by the programmers, would make the game more 'realistic'.