Old April 1, 2002, 22:04   #1
caralampio
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
War weariness reversed
I have observed that sometimes as the American (I almost always play American, I feel nothing beats the Expansionist/Industrious combo), in Republic or Democracy, my cities all get happier when someone declares war on me, and they go rioting or end "we love the President" when peace is declared. Has someone else experimented this, and is there any explanation? I thought that Rep. and Dem. regimes hated war consistently.
Old April 1, 2002, 22:14   #2
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

What you describe is consistent with what the manual says. Your starting wars makes your people unhappy, but having someone declare war on you improves their "happiness" at least initially. (Think of it as the people's being so mad at their attackers that domestic problems that had been making them unhappy don't seem like such a big deal all of a sudden. Then when the war goes away, they start focusing on all those pesky domestic problems again.)

Nathan
Old April 1, 2002, 23:40   #3
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
What you describe is consistent with what the manual says. Your starting wars makes your people unhappy, but having someone declare war on you improves their "happiness" at least initially. (Think of it as the people's being so mad at their attackers that domestic problems that had been making them unhappy don't seem like such a big deal all of a sudden. Then when the war goes away, they start focusing on all those pesky domestic problems again.)

I was wondering about that. It happened to me a little while ago as I played the Persians. The Germans declared war on me and what seemed like evey one of my cities went into WLTKD.
Old April 2, 2002, 01:13   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 17:27
it's supposed to show that whole patriotic "kill the infidels" boom of production.