Old April 1, 2002, 22:54   #1
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 14:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Next Patch
Does anyone know when the next patch will be out? Or even a general time frame? I just finnished my current game, and don't want to start a new one until I know that I will be able to finnish it w/o needing to install a new patch...

Really looking forward to 1.18f!

Remember the World Trade Center
Old April 1, 2002, 23:28   #2
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 17:27
Dont' know when the new patch will come out so sorry about that. However, I wonder if the reason why no one has heard anything is because the XP is due out soon.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on at Firaxis/Infogrames?
Old April 1, 2002, 23:49   #3
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

i very much doubt an xp before sometime 3rd quarter of 2002...

an XP this early just doesnt seem to make business sense

and in any case, if they plan to release 1.18 with a patch, they would still be announcing when the patch is coming out, me thinks

from my experience, when patches and XP's are close together, the patch comes first.
Old April 2, 2002, 04:20   #4
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 15:27
Still nothing, man what the hell is going on. I wish they would say something so we know they are alive. What are the plans firaxis?
Old April 2, 2002, 04:25   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:27
I gave them till the end of May off.
Old April 2, 2002, 05:37   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 23:27
Well, both 1.16f and 1.17f took two months to be released. Following this time line, next patch should come in the mid of April. Considering, that both patches were rushed (ok, partially due to popular demand) and broke as much as they fixed, I wish Firaxis would playtest it better this time and thus support nye's opinion to wait till end of May.

As to the XP: Better do it well and don't release it before end of 2002. May be it comes right in time for the xmas sales? That reminds me of something... what was it?
Old April 2, 2002, 10:14   #7
WarpStorm
King

The new patch is being playtested
Old April 2, 2002, 12:47   #8
chaucer
Settler

Local Time: 22:27
When ever the XP comes out I hope that they test it. I like Civ 3 I enjoy playing it, but it does have problems.
Old April 3, 2002, 01:19   #9
Ragnarok
Settler

Local Time: 08:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It does?
Like what?

I know when.
I might let you know if your good!
I take checks and money orders only!!
Old April 3, 2002, 02:11   #10
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Somebody sure enjoys using smilies.
Old April 3, 2002, 03:14   #11
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old April 3, 2002, 20:06   #12
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

By monkeys on a Commodore 64!

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 3, 2002, 20:41   #13
Dida
Prince

Firaxis announced today that it is hiring 30 chimps from Central Africa as beta testers for the upcoming Expansion Pack to the best selling game of all time--Civilization 3. "These chimps are experienced gamer," said Sid Meier:"with their hard working nature, I'm confident that we will turn out a bug free XP."

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old April 3, 2002, 20:47   #14
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Wouldn't this be hillarious?

"Firaxis is developing a program to do all of its playtesting for the company. This would save almost a dozen hours of playtesting for the company and revolutionize playtesting everywhere.

"Rumors are right now that they are planning to use the Civ2 AI for this task. An anonymous Firaxis employee was quoted as saying "the Civ2 AI is experienced, and should know what a game without bugs looks like."

"Some critics fear however that the new AI might be bribed by 20 gold a turn to let a few bugs slip threw".

Old April 3, 2002, 21:02   #15
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmygibler
Still nothing, man what the hell is going on. I wish they would say something so we know they are alive. What are the plans firaxis?
The plan is to leave Civ III so effed up, that we the Suckers, will be forced to BUY new versions, and scenario disks, from Firaxis.

Those are the plans.

I'll be in hell before I spend another dime on Civ III - I expect a game to be COMPLETED when I plunk down my fifty dollars, not be a beta playtester.
Old April 3, 2002, 22:30   #16
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmygibler
I think they keep their plans hidden, so that when they do release a new patch all of the sudden, everybody is happy...until we find out that it caused more problems than it fixed.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 3, 2002, 22:47   #17
simwiz2
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

The plan is to leave Civ III so effed up, that we the Suckers, will be forced to BUY new versions, and scenario disks, from Firaxis.

Those are the plans.
I sure hope not.

I dont think it would be very smart for them to do so. Consider the mess with AI tech trading in 1.17. And they already promised lethal bombardment toggleing in the editor in the next patch.

If they had the nerve to charge MORE money for us to beta test their product, I think a lot of people, including me, would just forget about civ3. And then Firaxis would have to forget about ever making alot of money off of future civ games. So it wouldnt really be in their best interest at all.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old April 4, 2002, 08:40   #18
WarpStorm
King

But those monkeys on C-64s are playing 1.19f and you aren't
Old April 4, 2002, 08:58   #19
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 18:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
we the Suckers, will be forced to BUY new versions, and scenario disks, from Firaxis.

Those are the plans.
Forced?! Like a mafia thing, or more like a government tax or something?
Old April 4, 2002, 10:40   #20
The JIG is up
Settler

Quote:
"Firaxis is developing a program to do all of its playtesting for the company. This would save almost a dozen hours of playtesting for the company and revolutionize playtesting everywhere.
I think the SMAC manual says something about the Firaxis crew playing dozens of games with 0(that is zero) human players just to watch the statistics at the end. So they could fine-balance the different factions.

...So...not so far away from your idea...
Old April 4, 2002, 12:52   #21
rpodos
Warlord

In one of the early chats, Soren said that he would set up several games with multiple AI civs before going home at night, and check the results the next morning (which I'd like to do btw, but is only possible with the development versions).

There were some pretty funny results along the way. One I remember was that the AI thought there was a way to get from the North Pole to the South Pole, so all of their ships ended up hanging around at the top of the screen.

My guess is that Firaxis has been overly dependent on automated playtesting, and that's where a number of the key problems have slipped in (late-game tedium, communist meltdown, tech trading, etc.). It's obviously a great solution, in theory, from a cost and time perspective, but is not quite ready for primetime.

Did anything ever come of the call for patch beta-testers?

R
Old April 4, 2002, 12:57   #22
WarpStorm
King

They have a set of beta testers (some of whose names are familiar to those in this forum) currently testing v1.19
Old April 4, 2002, 23:20   #23
Coracle
Prince

What most of us want NOW, instead of 1.17, is at least the option to use 1.16 WITH stack movement.

Where is it, Firaxis??
Old April 5, 2002, 01:53   #24
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 14:27
Getting monkeys to beta test v1.19... not easy. The only way they got most of them to do it was by putting the game in a tin box.
Old April 5, 2002, 17:13   #25
Cookie Monster
King

Fix Civ3 please!