Old April 1, 2002, 23:39   #1
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Attention: Rules for the new story contest!!!
WELCOME MESSAGE (WRITTEN BY METALITURTLE, I EDITED IT A LITTLE)
Welcome to the Stories Forum, if you are here, you are probably interested in one of the following:

1. Reading some really good or maybe also some not-so good (but hopefully not ) stories.
2. Engaging in group efforts in the form of Succession Games/NESs/other multiplayer activities.
3. Participating in an international simulation with one of the many Succession Games/NESs/other multiplayer activities.
4. Writing a story to hopefully win the story contest.
5. Bringing something fun and new to the forum.
6. Writing a story for people's (including your own) enjoyment.

A few notes on the story contest.

If you write a story on these boards, you are eligible to be in the story contest. To nominate yourself, go to the nomination thread at the top of the forum, it's the one that is titled Round #: Nominations.

Read the story contest rules below for the full spiel.

You may see things about the storywriter's union, all that the union is, is a collection of talented and untalented (though most would say they're talented ) writers who have written stories on the forums, participation in, or even, recognition of the union is purely optional, and the Union has no affiliation with the story contest other than the guy who runs the story contest is in the union.

PM Metaliturtle or anyone other top person mentioned in this thread if you have questions about the Union

RULES FOR THE STORY CONTEST
1. At the beginning of the preliminary round of each contest, a new one will be set up.
2. All nominated but unseconded or seconded but above the 8 story limit from the previous contest will transfer to the next.
3. Exceptions to rule 2: Once a story has been in two nominations rounds but never seconded, it drops out of the contest.
4. Once 8 seconded nominations are obtained, a preliminary round with unlimited voting (checkboxes) is created to last for 5 days.
5. After 5 days, the top 4 are transferred to a final poll with radio buttons which lasts 4 days. In the case of ties in the preliminaries, all of the stories that are tied for the 3rd and/or 4th spots go into the finals.
6. In the case of a tie in the finals, there will be a 2-day runoff vote. If there is still a tie, the two stories share the award.
7. Once in one preliminary round, a story can never enter another contest again.
8. You can request that a story be kept out of a story contest (for example two parts of one series you don't want competing).
9. All stories in the contest must be civ-related
10. The top 3 stories from each round are put in the story contest history thread as well as http://apolyton.net/civ3/stories/.
11. The winner gets a discount in the apolyton store!
12. Every 4 contests, the top two, including more than that if there were ties, are put in a 7-day radio button "BEst of the Best" poll. The winner is then put in the two places mentioned in rule 10.

Suggestions for changes/clarifications anyone??

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal

Last edited by civman2000; June 1, 2002 at 19:31.
Old April 2, 2002, 00:08   #2
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 13:28
You certainly have it organized well. I seem to have left the administration of this in good hands, although I did enjoy running it.

Steele
Old April 3, 2002, 09:25   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

BUMP

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old April 4, 2002, 18:17   #4
civman2000
Emperor

IMPORTANT!!!!!
I propose a change in the number of stories in the preliminary round to 8. THe reason for this is that even if a story comes out on average once every two days (i consider that accurate), it will still take at least a month to get a full 16 needed. I will make a one day poll. This rule change will take effect with the 2nd contest.

Old April 6, 2002, 08:59   #5
civman2000
Emperor

the rule change has passed and been added

Old April 8, 2002, 17:30   #6
civman2000
Emperor

bump

Old April 15, 2002, 16:54   #7
civman2000
Emperor

bump because of questions about rules

Old April 19, 2002, 19:37   #8
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 18:28
Bump for Ming.
Old April 21, 2002, 23:39   #9
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Thanks Mod!
Whoever you are...
Old April 22, 2002, 06:55   #10
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Richelieu
Thanks Mod!
Whoever you are...
A "few" days late... but NP
Old April 22, 2002, 17:13   #11
civman2000
Emperor

yay! Would you mind "un-stickying" the two threads from the old dead story contest?

Old April 23, 2002, 01:46   #12
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Just did...
Again... sorry for all the delays.
Please PM me when you need anything else...
I will be better in the future. Promise
Old April 27, 2002, 17:30   #13
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
question? I have 2 stories with votes on them, can I transfer 1 story's votes to another story, and then drop the first story from the contest?
Old April 28, 2002, 00:00   #14
civman2000
Emperor

uh...no, each is separate...dont worry, you should be able to get crazed greek wanderings to the finals without trouble

Old April 28, 2002, 09:43   #15
civman2000
Emperor

although if you really want to change it you could set up a poll for it...

Old May 18, 2002, 20:07   #16
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Civman, I think we should change how stories are voted on, I say All stories get 2 chances at a 1st place, because if there are a whole bunch of really good stories, and then just one wins, the other authors who spent hours on the story will have wasted their time, a better way is to give them a "second chance" nomination, where they are put back into the fray, this way cbraund could finally win one and not get shafted by upstarts like me
Old May 18, 2002, 23:45   #17
civman2000
Emperor

1. Wait till the end of the 4th, I have a surprise coming up.
2. If that doesnt satisfy you, make a poll (give people at least 3 days) about it.

Old May 19, 2002, 16:41   #18
Keeper of Hell
Chieftain

Rule changes
Are all rule changes done by poll?
Old May 19, 2002, 17:22   #19
civman2000
Emperor

yes.

Old May 23, 2002, 20:50   #20
Thrusters
Warlord

what do I need to do to write a strory.... Like I don't really understand..... Do I just post it here or what???
Old May 23, 2002, 20:52   #21
Thrusters
Warlord

how long sould a story be???
Old May 23, 2002, 20:56   #22
Metaliturtle
staff
King

Just post it, people tend to prefer longer stories to my shorter ones, I'd love to read one of yours though Thrusters.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:36   #23
civman2000
Emperor

yep. Don't worry about the story contest and how it works, the rules are just to make sure it's fair and done the same way every time. Just post stories and have fun!

Old May 24, 2002, 06:29   #24
Thrusters
Warlord

ok thanks.......
Old June 1, 2002, 19:32   #25
civman2000
Emperor

updated to include metaliturtle's welcome message now that markg has retitled it!

Old June 1, 2002, 19:35   #26
Metaliturtle
staff
King

SCORE
Old June 15, 2002, 12:07   #27
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:28
12. Every 4 contests, the top two, including more than that if there were ties, are put in a 7-day radio button "BEst of the Best" poll. The winner is then put in the two places mentioned in rule 10.
ENDQUOTE

Who has won the last few best of the best polls?
Old June 15, 2002, 19:43   #28
civman2000
Emperor

only been one..."Knights of the Black Cross" (Rotten999) won.

Old July 1, 2002, 02:10   #29
Kramerman
Prince

What is the reason for rule number 9,
Quote:
All stories in the contest must be civ-related
just out of curiosity?
Kman
Old July 1, 2002, 02:45   #30
Metaliturtle
staff
King

I wrote a really funny story called "history Class" and it had nothing to do with Civ 3 in any way, but because the forum is Civ3 stories, the stories must be able to link to a civ3 game in a clear fashion.