Old April 2, 2002, 03:58   #1
ramses II.
Prince

Local Time: 23:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
several techs per turn
This happened in chieftain level some years ago.
I once had a huge empire with more than 200 cities. The pet city was Berlin, size 1, on a small island, no specials, no gras, with no chance to grow.
I managed to conquer the world early in the game, although I was playing AC. I use to send out two or three triremes with diplos early in the game. They found many NONE-units, archers, elephants, legions and so on. These NONE-units conquered the world, cause the AI weren't developped much.

Later in the game (my spaceship had already been built, but not yet started), I made more than 70.000 gold per turn, cause nearly all of my cities produced caravans, which were sent to the other continents by air. The huge amount of beakers (I think > 7000) gave me 7 to 8 techs a turn. Each turn lasted more than one hour.

My final score was over 11.000 points.
Believe me, I'll never do that again, cause managing a giant empire is boring (no enemies -> no more war!) and time consuming
Old April 2, 2002, 05:07   #2
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
and time consuming
tell me about it.

Shade
Old April 2, 2002, 05:26   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:28
I was under the impression that trade could only bring in a single tech a turn (still needing one genuine beaker to trigger the tech). Am I mistaken? How are these discoveries triggered?
Old April 2, 2002, 05:35   #4
shade
King

As far as I know(and have seen very much in my recordattempt and other games) you need that 1 beaker.
--> those techs have to come from science made in your cities.trade can provide 1 extra tech but no more.

(oh and the computer can decide between the point you hit enter and the beginning of your next unit move period to make the amount of beakers you need quite a bit larger so you miss your 1tech/turn when you only have 1000 beakers waiting of wich you only expect one to be needed )

Shade
Old April 2, 2002, 06:29   #5
ramses II.
Prince

Sorry, i forgot to say that it was the original civ2 without the 2.42 patch. And the thechs were future techs.

By the way. the original version had a nice bug:
After founding several cities (about 30 - 50) NONE-cities appeared, that means, all units of that city didn't need any support.
When the first NONE-cities appeared, I rehomed all my engineers and a lot of other units there
But sometimes, especially when I conquered other cities, it lost it's NONE status. So I had to found 2 or 3 new cities for another NONE city.
Later in the game I had a couple of cities producing stealth fighters, howitzers, armours and so on. These units were rehomed. Every turn a small modern NONE army ....
Old April 2, 2002, 07:38   #6
shade
King

those NONE cities were pretty need(although the AI could also abuse them,since it seemed to me the game counetd all cities ingame and every one of them with a nummber>127 became a NONE,killing one would then make city 128(NONE) city 127(not NONE)
But I didn't know you could abuse the science beakercounts.

Shade