Old April 2, 2002, 22:04   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 18:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stormhound, will you buy the game?
I am really sorry to see you go and I know how you feel, I have been laid off also. Luckily for me I was called back.

But onto my question, will you buy the game or somehow get a copy and play it? I know from reading previous posts of yours you love playing games.

I am just curious.

Davor

PS Just anthour thought. Buy buying the game are we betraying you? I know companies do what they have to do but I was looking forward to this game for sooooooooooooo long, but I don't like the way they just let you go either. I almost feel like a boycott should be held. Like I said, it was a thought.
Yolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2002, 22:48   #2
Stormhound
Prince

Local Time: 17:30
Firstly, I'm owed a comp copy for my work on the game. If that isn't forthcoming, you can bet I'll raise hell, but until that bridge is reached it would probably be best left alone.

Secondly, the game could well still be good without being all it might've been. If it's good, buy it. Don't go boycotting it for my sake.

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew
Stormhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2002, 23:31   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Very good answer
Old April 3, 2002, 10:10   #4
Yolky
Prince

Hey it was an ida 'cause you felt like family being so friendly, and you still worked on the game. It's not like they took all the stuff you worked on and threw it away, right?

Davor
Old April 3, 2002, 11:14   #5
Stormhound
Prince

No, my stuff wasn't just thrown away (they can't; too much of it is integral to the game, like the research model). Others have been less fortunate, and you'll hear more about them after the game comes out. QS has not always been exemplary in its treatment of volunteers.

I have to take the long view, partly out of self-interest. TBS is one of my favorite types of games. I want to see more good ones. I'd love to see a MOM2. Beyond a certain point, I have to keep things in perspective...much as it might be pleasurable to do otherwise in the short term.

Encouraging a boycott would, in the long term, be self-defeating.

Old April 4, 2002, 01:30   #6
Yolky
Prince

Just wondering,
Stormhound, if you were not laidoff what could you do to contribute to the game? I might have read your previous post wrong, but the idea I got was that you have done your job and you could not have done much more.

I still don't believe you should have been let go even if you didn't contribute to the game because you still could have went on to other projects of the company.

I believe it is a big mistake in letting you go and loosing your talents and I wish you the best of luck in your marriage and I pray that you and your fiancee will have a great future together. You might not have a job right now but you have the love of your life with you.

Davor
Old April 4, 2002, 10:58   #7
Stormhound
Prince

For one thing, there was a contribution to be made when it actually got to the balancing stage...numbers have to be analyzed and adjusted so that parts of the game don't get out of whack with each other. You wouldn't want all your planets going into immediate unrest, or all your worlds selling off their fleets to pay for developments because they didn't have enough other income, for instance. I did an awfully lot of numbers for the game, and during the design Alan referred to me frequently when questions arose because of that...especially when it came to secondary and tertiary effects (things that changed other things that changed yet more things), of which the design has a fair number. Perhaps my years of programming gave me the wrong impression, but I had figured that was going to be a valuable and necessary contribution.

I had originally been slated to work on the CS-12 design, but I've got no idea where that sits now as I haven't heard anything about it in many months.

Old April 4, 2002, 21:04   #8
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 15:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Stormhound
I had originally been slated to work on the CS-12 design, but I've got no idea where that sits now as I haven't heard anything about it in many months.
CS-12 design?

What's that? A part of MoO3 I just haven't heard about, or something completely different?
Bleyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 05:38   #9
COND0010
Settler

Local Time: 22:30
>>> I still don't believe you should have been let go even if you didn't contribute to the game because you still could have went on to other projects of the company. <<<

Hi Yolky,

Just from reading the various posts, it does seem that money was the main focus of the Lay off (perhaps politics too - but we won't go there.). Being that they are on QS's dime now, maybe Stormhound is just the first of others that will be let go.

Stormhound didn't specifically say that he was forbidden to work on the project either - he might still be able to work as a volunteer (read: no pay). Unfortunately for the game, it does sound like that is _not_ a viable solution for Stormhound as he mentioned that he will be spending his time searching for a job.

jgc
COND0010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2002, 10:37   #10
Stormhound
Prince

CS-12 is the big project with the Army. You can find out more about it through the QS home page (www.quicksilver.com).

Old April 5, 2002, 22:07   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
If it's good, buy it. Don't go boycotting it for my sake.
It never even crossed my mine to do that!

But seriously: I am going to be a more 'informed consumer' before buying the game now; before all this stuff happening, I would've bought MoO3 hands-down.

Last edited by Sarxis; April 5, 2002 at 22:12.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2002, 18:09   #12
Stormhound
Prince

While I'm not forbidden to work on the project, does anyone seriously think they're going to ask my opinion on much after what I've said (if so, I have this nice bridge...)?

Oh, if they did ask, I'd help as time allowed, but I'm not going to hold my breath and wait.

Old April 7, 2002, 07:22   #13
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 22:30
Quote:
Secondly, the game could well still be good without being all it might've been. If it's good, buy it. Don't go boycotting it for my sake.
True, with the recent news of others leaving from QS , and the rise in people's tempretures on the forums, it's still important to keep perspective.
It's also interseting to read comments from QS on how they feel that their(and to be commended)open dialog with the fans is now causing them a problem(i.e. maybe they've been too nice?).
On a tangent check this link here , these guys seem like enthusiasts, and i'm sure after how you've been treated recently they may be worth a shot?
Anyway Moo3 is still on my buy list, lets hope it delivers or i might be forced into buying an Xbocks and playing 'beat em-ups' and driveing games for the rest of my life
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
child of Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2002, 11:24   #14
Flameblade
Settler

Local Time: 15:30
Hey all
Got a lot to say.
First off: Hey guys. Miss you at the other board but understand why you aren't going back
Second off: I'm going to be coming to here too now.
Third off: The official board is starting to fray at the edges with newcomers asking even weirder questions and starting small flamewars that dont go away for a while (due to lack of mods) and people making most think of a headless chicken 500 yard relay. Some are trying to help stabilize the official boards (Disembodied is showing up more and myself and placiddragon are pulling dampening duty)
Fourthly: It has been confirmed a number of times that alan probably will never post on the boards again.
Old April 7, 2002, 13:42   #15
Stormhound
Prince

Thanks, child of Thor, I've sent them an email and we'll see what comes of it.

Old May 24, 2003, 21:23   #16
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:30
Re: Hey all
Quote:
Originally posted by Flameblade
Got a lot to say.
First off: Hey guys. Miss you at the other board but understand why you aren't going back
Second off: I'm going to be coming to here too now.
Third off: The official board is starting to fray at the edges with newcomers asking even weirder questions and starting small flamewars that dont go away for a while (due to lack of mods) and people making most think of a headless chicken 500 yard relay. Some are trying to help stabilize the official boards (Disembodied is showing up more and myself and placiddragon are pulling dampening duty)
Fourthly: It has been confirmed a number of times that alan probably will never post on the boards again.
Why and how was it confiurmed that Alan won't post with the fans?
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 21:24   #17
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
No, my stuff wasn't just thrown away (they can't; too much of it is integral to the game, like the research model). Others have been less fortunate, and you'll hear more about them after the game comes out. QS has not always been exemplary in its treatment of volunteers.
1. The game is out now. Let me "hear more".

2. How were they not exemplary to volunteers?
Old May 28, 2003, 05:58   #18
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
Heh you really are performing wholesale thread resurrection aren't you GP
Old June 4, 2003, 19:16   #19
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Just the ones that I never got an answer for. Dish, puppie, Dish!